Under shelf light strip for kitchen

raksrules

Elite
In kitchen, we have these wall mounted shelves which may be open or closed and have dabbas etc stored there. Under these shelves / cabinet is usually the platform. Between these two things, we store things like mixer or blender or small accessories which are daily use.

In our kitchen, the place where these things are, I am looking to install an under shelf LED light strip powered by wall power (not battery). Not really looking for motion sensor and would prefer something which we can turn on or off as per need.

Some people also put puck lights in these sections but those will be sort of spot light and we will need to install multiple and somehow have single switch for all. I am not fully sure what I want but would prefer a strip of light that illuminates entire under shelf.

Here is an example listing from amazon

The length I need to cover is 3.5 to 4 feet.

Any suggestions? Also to add, the only way we could install is drilling holes from below shelf and screwing in light. Won't prefer double sided tape as it may fall anytime.

If you don't need different sections which can be switched on individually, you can also just buy an LED strip and install that or even, just a 4ft LED tube if you want to keep it simple.

If you don't need different sections which can be switched on individually, you can also just buy an LED strip and install that or even, just a 4ft LED tube if you want to keep it simple.

No different sections needed. Also this light is needed in only one side of the kitchen which is most accessed under that shelf and gets relatively dark night time.
The total length of the shelf where I need the light placed is around 4.5 feet but even a 4 feet light will do.

I believe the strip you talking about is that which comes in sort of a spool and is super thin. Right?

Below one I guess.

Murphy 25W LED Strip 2835 Cove Light 5 Metre (Cool White, Pack of 1) with Driver https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07WH6YBM9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HC9cGbH4BH769?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I can use this. And it can be just sticked I guess. Since my requirement is 4 feet, I can probably fold this and make 3 rows and get even brighter light? Do you think folding would damage it?

Last edited:
No different sections needed. Also this light is needed in only one side of the kitchen which is most accessed under that shelf and gets relatively dark night time.
The total length of the shelf where I need the light placed is around 4.5 feet but even a 4 feet light will do.

I believe the strip you talking about is that which comes in sort of a spool and is super thin. Right?

Below one I guess.

Murphy 25W LED Strip 2835 Cove Light 5 Metre (Cool White, Pack of 1) with Driver https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07WH6YBM9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HC9cGbH4BH769?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I can use this. And it can be just sticked I guess. Since my requirement is 4 feet, I can probably fold this and make 3 rows and get even brighter light? Do you think folding would damage it?
Frankly speaking, the LED strips are known to be temperamental and not all are reliable. I think a 4ft LED batten would be perfect for your requirement. Check out different profiles if you don't like the basic one.

Frankly speaking, the LED strips are known to be temperamental and not all are reliable. I think a 4ft LED batten would be perfect for your requirement. Check out different profiles if you don't like the basic one.

Have any links to show what exact thing you are referring to?

Yes this is exactly what I linked in first post and also something I am eyeing too. It is 2 feet and my requirement is more so need to see if I can do with this and if I need 2 then how will I connect both to same outlet or so.
Maybe you can try longer ones like this >> https://www.veekaylight.com/product...ng-and-under-cabinet-led-profile-light-white/

Best case scenario, buy the profile and led strip separately based on your size requirement and make a custom one of your own.

Maybe you can try longer ones like this >> https://www.veekaylight.com/product...ng-and-under-cabinet-led-profile-light-white/

Best case scenario, buy the profile and led strip separately based on your size requirement and make a custom one of your own.

Thanks. This seems like those amazon listings but is 4 feet in size which I want and 2 pack comes for 1100 something. Will keep this in mind.

But it says profile. Confused whether they are selling light or only casing.

Have any links to show what exact thing you are referring to?
I am talking about normal LED tubelights.
You can get the normal ones which are pretty cheap or some with different profiles like the following if aesthetics of the normal one don't work for you.

I am talking about normal LED tubelights.
You can get the normal ones which are pretty cheap or some with different profiles like the following if aesthetics of the normal one don't work for you.

You are right and I never even considered that. I do have couple of regular sized LED tubelights at home which I think cost 350. They don't have choke etc. I will definitely see if that is feasible. In terms of height, when hanging from the shelf, I guess they would be double size of those fancy LED lights I have linked.

So I had a talk with our trusted electrician and he told that the regular LED tubelights have their drivers inside their casing and thats why those lights are fatter. Here is link to one of them..

I asked him about the strip and he too insisted NOT to buy that as they have reliability issues and mostly those crop from their drivers.

He did say that super slim tube lights with separate drivers are available but are expensive relative to standard LED lights.

So still checking what would work best.

^ if light is important & not the attractive look, I'd prefer using a low watt LED bulb / tube

Bulb won't work and the light would mostly be hidden so looks are not required. Also light needs to spread across the platform around 3-4 feet so that's why wanting tube light / strip kind of thing.

I have moved to new locality recently and renovated whole house. What I have done in kitchen is underneath the shutter I have put the Aluminum profile casing which tucks in. Inside that 5A driver which power on the Intermediate 240 LED. LED costs 120 Rs per meter + 250 rs Drivers + 10ft Aluminum casing 120 Rs.
I will post more close up pics.

Attachments

• photo_2021-01-24_15-23-13.jpg
    photo_2021-01-24_15-23-13.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 102
I have moved to new locality recently and renovated whole house. What I have done in kitchen is underneath the shutter I have put the Aluminum profile casing which tucks in. Inside that 5A driver which power on the Intermediate 240 LED. LED costs 120 Rs per meter + 250 rs Drivers + 10ft Aluminum casing 120 Rs.
I will post more close up pics.
I guess you are talking about collar profiles, which sits flush into a groove made under the cabinet.
This is an ideal choice during construction phase itself, but retrofitting collar profile is not possible in most cases and hence surface profiles are more suitable.
You are right and I never even considered that. I do have couple of regular sized LED tubelights at home which I think cost 350. They don't have choke etc. I will definitely see if that is feasible. In terms of height, when hanging from the shelf, I guess they would be double size of those fancy LED lights I have linked.
The problem with using LED batten lights is the spread of the light beam, LED profile channel throws the light in a downlight fashion, but a LED batten would spread the beam sideways too isn't it?
Say if you are using the lights to lit up the counter top, profile light lits up the platform without any glare on the eyes, where as the LED batten might throw light at eye level and might be counter productive?
Agreed they are durable and less prone to driver failure, but are not ideal for this use case isn't it?

Yes thats correct. I was able to make 6 mm groove during renovation. for existing kitchen it can still be possible if carpenter can apply some idea and make groove and flush the LEDs.

Back