University Suggestions for GRE score

They are all out by Nov 8.

Check.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Manu1991,

327 is an awesome score man!.

I screwed up my quans..

All the best.

My friend and colleague at Vmware got 1200 score in GRE and still got into a top university in US.
For the record,he has written a very important memory management feature for Linux Kernel and is used in Android.
The guy has few mm patches in kernel too.

So, food for thought. Don't take advice from rite, who has no idea what it takes to get into real tech schools.

Thank you.

^blufox which univ exactly ... I'm also aiming for a good univ if not of top .. but my academics suck .. more like they are average . Finding some project to work on or a paper to write .

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Well here i go again with my problems .. but sorry for interrupting the thread with my problems @OP .. I wanted to know what to do from now on . Right im in my 5th sem and giving my final exams as in end sem . My % is ~57% which is considered "average" under Mumbai University . I got these exams and the next 3 sems to make it above 60% . I have absolutely no extra curricular activities . And I plan to give GRE in my 8th SEM cos I am no way applying with my 57% of 6 sems cos I know it wont be enough to get even a good univ forget top . By top I dont mean ivy league I mean the ones that come after that :p .

Please suggest what all I can do to make my resume better pleaseeeee :X . Right now im working on a project for the great mind challenge of ibm will that be helpful in anyway ?

Guys will the backlogs(all cleared though) have a huge impact on the admit rate from universities and the visa acceptance? :huh:

(PS: Overall BE GPA till 6th SEM: 7.5/10)

One of the best ways to boost your profile is to get into research.

Try to apply for interns at IIsc and IIT's.(Gain Relevant experience)

There are so many DRDO's and ISRO,TIFAC etc etc..

Those will boost your profile.

Srirama how do you get time ? I mean the max vacation i get between sems is of ~20 days . There is no time to do internship . Thats why I am concentrating on projects and finding people to do a research paper with .

@Photoshop SR,I am by no means an expert on this matter.All that matters is your confidence in a Visa Interview.

About cleared backlogs,I have seen people with backlogs(all cleared) get admits.

@Scorpy

Buddy make time :p

Seriously though,If you are short on time and want to really boost profile.

Finish College and spend a year doing research at all above mentioned places.

A research paper is not really an easy task.It requires a lot of planning and some execution.

getting your paper selected in an international conference is not a biggie.

My research paper was not really super great,but it was selected at 5 international conferences.

You have to make sure that the International conference is of repute.(Which in my case is not so great)

Still Its a fruit born out of independent research.

@avi

I'm not really sure,why dont you ask some of your professors.

Only bit of research I ever did were based topics of my 2 research papers,and being a team member of TIFAC project(This is sponsored by Govt of India,but has R&D centers at many colleges->my college had one of them).

Approach professors,tell them about your area of research.

Especially Phd's(they got a lot of stuff).

If you work closely with them,you can get mind-blowing letters of recommendation.

Moreover work on your statement of Purpose.

A killer statement of purpose can work wonders,Its not all about the GRE.

All information that I have given here are plainly my views :p

@avi and @Srirama.

My GRE wasn't so great. 1150, Q-800 and V-350. New score around 309 i guess. Didn't bother to check.

Here's what i was planning. I have been working with a prof in my college from past few months. She does her research along with a prof from IIT.

IIT professors hire graduates as project associates. I got into contact with one of them through her and mailed him asking about the job of a project associate. He said that he could hire after i complete my graduation.

I m planning to take an year off working for a minimal pay of around Rs.10k to 12k and thus improve my profile with such research experience. I have asked a few people and they all replied in the affirmative. I hope it goes well.

As for the internship part, etc, i guess you can go through the IIT websites and start mailing profs if you are interested in something they are working on. You do get replies. Just make sure you send a nice formal letter :)

@pranav,

That's awesome going :)

That's precisely how people need to do improve thier profile.

Hope you get a great admit when you apply :)

@Srirama I cannot make time dude . I cannot explain how sick and twisted this schedule of Mumbai University is . I do have 6 months time after my 8th sem to do internship cos I'll be applying with all my 8 sems marks and not 6 sems like most of my friends are doing . That is because as I mentioned I need to bring up my aggregate . Right now I can only think of doing research papers . I know its difficult but its not impossible right :p .. I mean the way people reply to me when I say I'll do research papers as if its impossible or something :p . Also teacher in my college suck dude . They dunno shit .. they also mug up from books and have no actual knowledge to explain the concept . Trust me its the same in almost all colleges and my college is one of those unfortunately .

Research papers are not really hard.

You need to find where you are heading and what exactly are you proposing.

Research papers dont even need to have something new,they can even be case studies.

About profs,yes you are right :p.Most of them do come under the category you mentioned,but there will be few who will know their stuff.

There is a neat trick you could use here,some friend of yours might have done a great project.Now you swoop in with the idea of getting it published and just point out the merits of the project using a research paper and you can use the project as a implementation of your paper.

2 in 1 Goal :p(It's not the most ethical way dude).

Lastly doing research papers does not require a Professor's help,I did mine along with a friend and it turned out okay.

I'll just say start work and do whatever you can,do not postpone :)

So I have got my dream admit Finally!
happy19.gif

Georgia Institute of Technology MS CS.

I wish to thank all of you for the support
happy19.gif

#rite.

I got in,Enough said.

Hey Congratulations on your selection Sriram! and congratulations on publishing two international papers.

Here I am, I barely managed to get one paper published and that to in a conference of average repute, they basically have a very high acceptance ratio :-/

If you don't mind me asking Sriram, what was the quantum of original contribution in your paper, could you elaborate. please?

Back