Unlimited gprs plans on vodafone

^^ tariff varies from state to state. My experience is limited to Karnataka. Afik there are no unlimited GPRS plans even for corporates as I am on a corporate post paid plan myself.

astrono_me said:
^^ tariff varies from state to state. My experience is limited to Karnataka. Afik there are no unlimited GPRS plans even for corporates as I am on a corporate post paid plan myself.

Could be, but these unlimited plans have been here since a long time.

I remember my dad had a unlimited gprs plan 5-6 years back for the same amount.

Also it's not necessesary to have a corporate number, if you know someone in vodafone, they can get it approved for you

The retention deptt for instance.

astrono_me said:
^^can u access VPN or use ur phone as a modem with this connection ? which handset do u use?

Not sure about VPN, but it'll work most prolly, I'm accessing my friends PC via VNC right now on some udp port.

Using Samsung Omnia HD i8910 (Symbian 9.4 S60v5)

Earlier using Idea GPRS plan Rs20/day one. After some days speed got pathetic so gave a try to Aircel and found it's worst GPRS ever. It used to take lots of time to open google page only. So came back to idea and found speed got little bit fine so started using it for a month. Some days back I saw a mobile tower is being installed near my house i thought it mght be of Aircel and I gave one more try and Voila! It's working superb for it's price. Now I am getting 15-20 Kbps speed all the time. So give a try to Aircel it might work for you too.

easiest method to change apn is go to unlockit.co.nz from safari and then download the profile you want. i have set it as www for vmc.

but vmc is damn expensive in pune . 200 bucks 100 mb. that is so small amount.

astrono_me said:
I have been in the market for unlimited GPRS plans lately. I live in BLR and here are my experiences:

• Airtel has unlimited GPRS for around 899 or something for Blackberry. I am not sure if they have unlimited plans for other phones.
  • Vodafone does NOT have any unlimited GPRS plans, except for Blackberry corporate connections. Further, they say GPRS will not work on jailbroken iPhones which is not true. I'll show how you can update your APN further down in this post. For corporates they have unlimited GPRS on Blackberry with similar tariff as Airtel.
  • BSNL has unlimited GPRS plans for Rs 199 on post-paid. BSNL has the best coverage and I always get great speeds. Currently I am trying out their GPRS service on a prepaid connection. BSNL has recently introduced Blackberry services too.
Another thing to note - what Airtel and Vodafone (called Vodafone Live!) give are actually not data plans. Which means you will be connected to a proxy and not an actual IP. Push services on Iphones do not work because of this. Nor do VPN connections. Push and VPN works beautifully on the normal BSNL GPRS plan. Vodafone has something called Mobile Connect if you want to access VPN, Push etc. Vodafone Mobile Connect | Latest EDGE Technology | Vodafone GPRS Roaming

So basically to access the Internet via private operators' GSM networks, you have:
  1. One plan for GPRS on your mobile which allows you to access HTTP and WAP sites only. No VPN, no push.
  2. A different plan if you want to use your phone as a modem, access VPN, Push etc. I am not sure how Airtel differentiates their GPRS plans, but for Vodafone I am pretty sure this is how it is.
  3. A different plan for GPRS on Blackberry phones. This offers a host of other services like Push email for enterprise and personal email etc.

Hope that made sense. :)

Now to set your APN on an iPhone:

1. Download and install iPhone Configuration Utility 2.1 from Apple. iPhone Configuration Utility 2.1 for Windows
  2. Click on Configuration Profiles on the right, once you start this application.
  3. You will be in the General option after you click on Configuration Profiles. Under Identity on the right, give a name for your profile. This can be anything.
  4. Click on the Advanced option on the left. Specify your APN here. For Vodafone:
    Code:
    APN - portalnmms
    Proxy Server - 10.10.1.100 and Port - 9401
    You can leave Access Point Username and Password blank.
  5. Connect your iPhone via USB. Once connected, it will show up under Devices. Click on your phone name and under the Configuration Profiles tab and you can find the Configuration Profile you just created listed there. Click on Install. You may have to enter a passcode on your iPhone and approve the installation via the iPhone as well.
  6. Reboot your iPhone and you should be able to access any website.

PS: If you want to test/enable Push services for jailbroken 2G iPhones, I recommend this - Pushfix.info. I have set up my iPhone to receive push notifications for my email, twitter updates and IM pings.

IIRC, there is also a free tool available in Cydia (named "APN Editing" or something like that) which allows you to set the right APN for your connection.

Amaresh said:
I'm currently using Vodafone's prepaid iPhone data plan (Rs 100/mo + 5p/10kb), is that any different from their standard GPRS plan ?

What's the difference between this and Vodafone Mobile connect ? Is that available on the iPhone ?

Vodafone Live! Has no monthly fees. Whereas, your iPhone data plan has a monthly fees of 100 bucks. That is the first difference.

However, if you need to access Push services/VPN I suggest you stick with your current plan*. Else you can shift to Vodfone Live!, set your APN and pay only for usage as you browse websites.

* Since I have not used the iPhone data plan from Vodfone, I am not 100% sure if Push services/VPN works in that plan, but I am assuming it does.

^^ No idea about outside states. Suggest you call Docomoco and find out if they have a separate plan for using your mobile as a modem, in which case that would be the plan that gives you full VPN/Push access.

Amaresh said:
I'm currently using Vodafone's prepaid iPhone data plan (Rs 100/mo + 5p/10kb), is that any different from their standard GPRS plan ?

What's the difference between this and Vodafone Mobile connect ? Is that available on the iPhone ?

Your plan does not have unlimited data transfer. Each 10 Kb is charged.

There is vodaphone corporate plan which charges just 299 Rs per month & Unlimited GPRS, thats we are talking about.

Ahhh guys so since the landlines in my society are not working, i tried to connect to the net using my Aircel Pocket internet.

Here are the speeds....

31135245.jpg

690109223.png

EDIT: Whats that?? Iam in Mumbai, why is it showing me in Delhi? I chose the recommended server and it was delhi. LOL. Kya Jhol hai Aircel Babu?

Im using Aircel i get speeds of 135 on the phone for which i also use the Samsung Jet it has a 800MHz proc so together i really get good speeds on the net with the processing speeds of the phone gives me a joy while using it and yes it also depends on the area that your cause when i use it in bombay i have no and why i can say that cause when my cell phone recieves only 1 or 2 bars i still get excellent speeds but if that was the case outside bombay then there is a problem sometimes even to connect...

Currently aircel is providing the best scheme (for now), unlimited @ just 98/-, the speed is OK, you can`t expect more then this in GPRS. The main problem is frequent disconnection. If you have patience and your monthly budget is low just try aircel.

I just got a Docomo prepaid so that I can use the Rs 48/-, 100 MB internet on my phone. I just need to use it on my phone and my monthly usage is actually less than 100MB. I am fine with the speed, at least on my phone. I got it recharged with Rs 48 but I don't know if the 100 MB service has been activated or not. Is there any way to find out?

By the way I am going to call up the Vodafone customer care executive ( the one who sold me the connection over phone) tomorrow and tell her to disconnect my postpaid connection because I got a DOCOMO connection with better speeds and sufficiently good connectivity at much much cheaper prices. Lets see what she says.

I just found out that the person who recharges the phone has to select the EVD option from his SIM. I got a simple Rs 48 done which obviously didn't work. My account got credited with around 40 bucks. But I can at least try to get some good discounts from my CC executive on the basis of my new no.

@astrano_me

dude the method u posted works like a charm!!

i was gonna leave vodafone coz of its expensive gprs plans...

all thanks to u ...i can atleast check urgent mails nd all...

thanks a lot dude :):)

Back