Upgrade Advice - ~ 15K - All purpose rig

So I've finally decided to go ahead with a long-pending upgrade and need your valuable inputs in this regard. I'm looking to buy the hardware components this Saturday and give my desktop PC a much needed boost! :)

A few years back, I had created a similar thread with specific criteria, resulting in the desktop rig I currently use. It has served me well, but I'm afraid it's time to move on to better things... :cool2:

Without further ado...

1. Q: What is your budget?

15K for now

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

1. CPU - AMD X2 3600 (1.9Ghz) :(

2. Motherboard - MSI K9AGM2-L

3. GPU - Sapphire ATI HD5670

4. RAM - Kingston 1GB DDR2.667 + 2GB DDR2.800

5. Monitor - Dell E228WFP (1680X1050)

6. SMPS - CM EP460

7. HDD - Seagate 250GB SATA

8. ODD - LG DVD-ReWriter

9. Speakers - Creative M2600

10. Case - Zebby Bijli v1.0

11. Logitech KB + Mouse

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

1. GPU - Sapphire ATI HD5670

2. Monitor - Dell E228WFP

3. SMPS - CM EP460

4. HDD - Seagate 250GB SATA

5. ODD - LG DVD-ReWriter

6. Speakers - Creative M2600

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

1. CPU - AMD (Equivalent to Corei5-520 or better!)

2. Motherboard - Mobo with USB3.0, decent OB-GFX, single PCI-E 2.X slot, well laid out, nothing too fancy (MSI, Gigabyte are most preferred, but open to other good brands)

3. RAM - 4GB DDR3 1033Mhz and above

4. Case - Good quality, well-ventilated, "dust-filters", smart design, in black.

(Decent warranty on all the above)

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

Yes

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

1. Chennai (Ritchie Street)

2. Open to online purchase - No

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

No

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

1. Work (nothing too intensive)

2. Browsing

3. Desktop Processing

4. Movies

5. Download rig

6. Watching HD movies

7. Gaming (nothing too intensive)

8. Run VMWare maybe?

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

Yes, but I'll reason them out with your recommendations. The market in Chennai doesn't offer a whole of options either.

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

Not so intensive ones at 1680X1050 (High), others are Med / lesser res.

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

1680X1050, for the most part.

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?

Nope.

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

1. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (Primary)

2. Windows XP

I hope I've been descriptive with my requirements. Let's consider 15K as the budget to work with and tweak :p that based on the inputs.

Some really knowledgeable peeps here and I look forward to seeing them in action. :hap2:

Thanks for reading.

Cheers,

T.T.M

My suggestions:-

1. CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 955BE @ 6.7k

2. Motherboard - MSI 880GMA-E45/Asrock 890GX Extreme3 @ 5.2k/7.2k

3. RAM - Corsair XMS3 2*2GB @ 2.6k

4. Case - NZXT Gamma @ 2k

@XTechManiac

Thanks for your inputs!

Comments below:

Which Intel proccy is this equiv. to? Also, is this a good proccy for the long run? (Don't change rigs too often)

2. Motherboard - MSI 880GMA-E45@ 5.2k

This looks good. Is there a Gigabyte equivalent? There is also the question of availability? :(

Edit: Looks good, although the DP site shows 2.6K for the ValueSelect series? The XMS series are over 3K.

Err..I don't like how it looks. A case from the CM Elite series perhaps? A few I like.

Edit: In addition to the GFX card and other components, would the CM 460 prove sufficient for the proposed rig?

Prices and available in Chennai market :) http://www.deltapage.com/list/index.html

AMD PhenomII X4 955BE - 6.25k (Really no other Intel processor can match the VFM of 955BE)

Asus M4A88T M/USB3 - 5.7k

2*2GB Corsair DDR3 1333MHz - 2.45k

CM Elite 310 with sidepanel - 1.85k

Alternate mobo if willing to buy online is the Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H - 5.5k + shipping from SMC Intl

thetoxicmind said:

Which Intel proccy is this equiv. to? Also, is this a good proccy for the long run? (Don't change rigs too often)

It close(not very close) to the performance of i5 750, but I prefer AMD build because the AM3 socket's not likely to be obsolete in a couple of years.. Best proccy for your budget.

thetoxicmind said:
2. Motherboard - MSI 880GMA-E45@ 5.2k

This looks good. Is there a Gigabyte equivalent? There is also the question of availability? :(

It's a good board. Fits well in your equation. Gigabyte equivalent - GA-880GA-UD3H @ 5.5k.

thetoxicmind said:

Yeah, this looks good. Chennai = Kingston or Corsair only :p

Same for Kolkata. :p

thetoxicmind said:

Err..I don't like how it looks. A case from the CM Elite series perhaps? A few I like.

CM Elite 310 perhaps? Or list down the few which you like.

@DarkAngel

Thanks for the list! And yes, I have been referring to DP's list and the IT Depot website.

CPU - AMD PhenomII X4 955BE - 6.25k (Looks good, curious to know by what margin it beats the i5-520??)

MOBO - Not an ASUS fan (reliability/A.S.S concerns), any chance of the MSI 880GMA-E45 or Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H being available locally?Something from either of these brands?

RAM - Looks like the premium (XMS3, HyperX) series of sticks are over 3.3K. So the basic ones at DDR3 1333Mhz, from Kingston or Corsair?

CASE - One of the three: CM Elite 330/332/333. Any suggestions?

Also..

In addition to the GFX card and other components, would the CM 460 prove sufficient for the proposed rig?

thetoxicmind said:
@DarkAngel

Thanks for the list! And yes, I have been referring to DP's list and the IT Depot website.

CPU - AMD PhenomII X4 955BE - 6.25k (Looks good, curious to know by what margin it beats the i5-520??)

MOBO - Not an ASUS fan (reliability/A.S.S concerns), any chance of the MSI 880GMA-E45 or Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H being available locally?Something from either of these brands?

RAM - Looks like the premium (XMS3, HyperX) series of sticks are over 3.3K. So the basic ones at DDR3 1333Mhz, from Kingston or Corsair?

Also..
I dont think there is any processor named i5 520.

There is i3 530/i3 540 etc...

i5 6xx -> Dual core. Worst VFM

i5 7xx -> Quad Nehalam

i5 2xxx series -> New Sandy Bridge quad. Min. price 9k and mobo price with USB 3.0 is 6k. So out of budget.

The 955BE is quite power hungry.(125TDP) If you want more energy efficient processor opt for the Athlon II X4 640(95w TDP). Since you are not much of a gamer the lack of the L3 cache wont have much of an impact.

Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Since your GPU is power efficient your PSU will handle the new combo :) But upgrade it when you get a chance :p Its not the most power efficient one around.

@DarkAngel

I dont think there is any processor named i5 520.

I was referring to the Core i5-520M (2.4Ghz) in my Dell Studio. Hence, the need to find a better proccy for my desktop. :p

The 955BE is quite power hungry.(125TDP)

So are you saying that the 955BE based config will be a close call, as far as my PSU is concerned? I have no plans of changing the PSU.

Any inputs here, guys? :)

thetoxicmind said:
@DarkAngel

I was referring to the Core i5-520M (2.4Ghz) in my Dell Studio. Hence, the need to find a better proccy for my desktop. :p

So are you saying that the 955BE based config will be a close call, as far as my PSU is concerned? I have no plans of changing the PSU.

Any inputs here, guys? :)
:lol: I thought in the desktop line :p

Considering you have a ageing CM EP 460 better stick to the AthlonII X4. Not much difference between the Phenom and the Athlon for your usage.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Since you already have a GPU for HD videos and a laptop why not wait for the Llano APU's? Its due in May and will have a HD55xx/HD56xx class built in.

You can also decide to get a HD65xx/HD66xx (After selling the HD5670) and get much superior gaming performance by Hybrid XFire. :)

Considering you have a ageing CM EP 460

It isn't that old and a 460W PSU is rather decent by Indian standards. :p

Not much difference between the Phenom and the Athlon for your usage.

Err...which ones are you referring to? how do you mean?

Since you already have a GPU for HD videos and a laptop why not wait for the Llano APU's?

Laptop aside, the GPU alone isn't enough, considering the rest of my system specs. Most importantly the 1.9Ghz processor. :ashamed:

Its due in May and will have a HD55xx/HD56xx class built in.

Can't wait that long. My system is slow and I need a change. :)

You can also decide to get a HD65xx/HD66xx (After selling the HD5670) and get much superior gaming performance by Hybrid XFire.

After years of apprehension and speculation, I finally purchased a graphics card. :p Don't think I'll be up for Xfire/SLI setups, period.

DarkAngel said:
Since you already have a GPU for HD videos and a laptop why not wait for the Llano APU's? Its due in May and will have a HD55xx/HD56xx class built in.
You can also decide to get a HD65xx/HD66xx (After selling the HD5670) and get much superior gaming performance by Hybrid XFire. :)

+1

I was about to say that. I am too waiting for Llano to come and that's why postponed my PC up-gradation to June-July 2011. (by that time many variants of AMD APU's will be in the market and their performance reviews will be out too). Since you're planning to keep your current PSU, it makes more sense to choose Llano. they gonna be more power efficient than quad and hex cores. crossfiring with an entry-level discrete 6xxx series HD gpu they can deliver gfx performance equivalent to a 5770-HD. Now that means even more power efficiency. :D

IMHO this is not a good time for system up gradation.

thetoxicmind said:
It isn't that old and a 460W PSU is rather decent by Indian standards. :p

Err...which ones are you referring to? how do you mean?

Laptop aside, the GPU alone isn't enough, considering the rest of my system specs. Most importantly the 1.9Ghz processor. :ashamed:

Can't wait that long. My system is slow and I need a change. :)

After years of apprehension and speculation, I finally purchased a graphics card. :p Don't think I'll be up for Xfire/SLI setups, period.

Agree by our standards you have a decent PSU for a entry level rig.

The main advantage of the PhenomII X4 is that it has 6MB L3 cache where AthlonII X4 has zero. It gives the Phenom a decent advantage in gaming but not much in other tasks. Since you are not much of a hard core gamer i said the AthlonII X4 also suits your needs well :)

Its Hybrid Xfire where the integrated graphics and the discrete GPU is XFired. Till now IGP were lame. But once they become as powerful as a HD5570 the Hybrid XFire with HD 6570 will result in a gaming performance between a HD5770-HD6850 :)

Go wid Athlon II X4 640... wont consume as much power as 955BE on load as well as in idle mode... And as u have mentioned that u r gonna use this rig as a downloading rig also so X4 640 wud b better... But as u've mentioned that u dont upgrade rigs very often so even 955BE wud b great if u dont care much about power consumption and if u r building this rig for a long run ;)... Actually both the CPUs are Great VFM cpus... :D

Go for the Cooler Master Elite 370 (if available)
FSP Saga II 400W PSU ~ 1.9K (I notice you have a eXtrme Power PSU, not good)
for processor I would suggest the newest Phenom IIx4 840 a great buy ~ 7K (not sure on this quote :ashamed: )
AMD Phenom-II X4-840 CPU HDX840WFK42GM | AMD Phenom-II X4-840,CPU,Review,HDX840WFK42GM,Quad-Core,Processor,Benchmark,Performance,Hank Tolman,AMD Phenom-II X4-840 CPU HDX840WFK42GM Quad-Core Desktop Processor Benchmark Performance Review by Hank Tolma -- the name is an anarchism as it is a Athlon IIx4 645 (not a Phenom IIx4) with bumped up speed and no L3 cache but it is a bright star for its value, TDP is also low at 95W.

that is all I can add, I hope this helps.

ALPHA17 said:
Go for the Cooler Master Elite 370 (if available)

FSP Saga II 400W PSU ~ 1.9K (I notice you have a eXtrme Power PSU, not good)

for processor I would suggest the newest Phenom IIx4 840 a great buy ~ 7K (not sure on this quote :ashamed: )

AMD Phenom-II X4-840 CPU HDX840WFK42GM | AMD Phenom-II X4-840,CPU,Review,HDX840WFK42GM,Quad-Core,Processor,Benchmark,Performance,Hank Tolman,AMD Phenom-II X4-840 CPU HDX840WFK42GM Quad-Core Desktop Processor Benchmark Performance Review by Hank Tolma -- the name is an anarchism as it is a Athlon IIx4 645 (not a Phenom IIx4) with bumped up speed and no L3 cache but it is a bright star for its value, TDP is also low at 95W.

that is all I can add, I hope this helps.
AMD Phenom II X4 840 is a 3.2GHz CPU and doesn't have L3 Cache whereas Phenom II 955BE is also a 3.2GHz CPU wid 6MB L3 Cache and unlocked multiplier which is selling for 6.25k... So only a noob wud go wid a inferior CPU like Phenom II X4 840 which is selling for 7K (Ur pricing:p)...

^^

The reviews show that the overtime matured silicon harvesting process has created an overall competent piece released with the last Deneb based Phenom IIx4 975 + it OC's well to for a standard Athlon II piece.

After some surprisingly strong results from our Phenom II X6 1100T, we were hoping to achieve some very high northbridge clock speeds on the Phenom II X4 975 BE, but regrettably it fell a little short of our expectations. Ironically, even the lower-end Phenom II X4 840 proved to be a slightly better performer in this respect. Nevertheless, if you can increase your Phenom II's northbridge frequency from 2000Mhz to 2700Mhz, do so since the performance improvements are very worthwhile.

If you're building a new system from scratch, go for a Sandy Bridge processor, there's no doubt about it's performance superiority and great Bang-for-the-Buck. However, if you currently have an AM2+/AM3 system with a single or dual-core processor, we have absolutely no qualms recommending the new Phenom II X4 840. It would be a $100 well spent in our opinion and is also forwards compatible with the upcoming AM3+ boards. Having said that, if you are an AMD enthusiast with an eye towards the higher-end Phenom II X4 and X6 models, we would recommend that you wait a bit, since we suspect that AMD is going to do a few price cuts in the not too distant future.

AMD Phenom II X4 840 & X4 975 Black Edition Processors Review - Page 17
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/188?vs=88 -- this bench link shows that the Athlon IIx4 pretty much catches up to the Phenom IIx4 955 making the former much more sensible, the L3 cache doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

I'm not arguing that the Phenom IIx4 840 is better or worse, in my view it makes more sense (VFM, I'm not sure about the prices so it is a wait game). Cheers :).

Thanks for your inputs, guys!

Placed an order for the following:

AMD PhenomII X4 955BE - 6.25K
Seagate 250GB SATA - 1.5K
CM Elite 334 - 2.1K
Corsair DDR3 2GB 1333FSB ValueSelect x 2 - 2.45K

The proposed rig with the intended configuration is estimated to draw 365 Watts Max.

Still undecided on the motherboard. Looking at different options now.

Back