Storage Solutions Upgrading a 7 year old laptop to SSD - Good idea?

What about the compatibility? Connectors, voltage and everything? Also how do I make sure I dont have to reinstall everything? (Hackintosh is a pain to reinstall)
The most painless way i can think of to get up and running is:
1) Put new SSD in a USB case and plug in to Hackintosh
2) Open disk utility on hackintosh
3) Select USB disk in Disk utility
4) Under the restore tab drag set source as your old HDD and destination as the drive connected to USB
5)Wait for restore to complete
6) Swap out the drive and replace the old drive

I've used it on all my hackintoshes.
Kexts and DSDTs most definitely carried forward. I'd usually always install a fresh copy of chameleon but I recall chameleon carrying over as well.

I've used it on all my hackintoshes.
Kexts and DSDTs most definitely carried forward. I'd usually always install a fresh copy of chameleon but I recall chameleon carrying over as well.
Will it copy the windows part flawlessly too? As in the WHOLE disk and not just OSX parts?

Will it copy the windows part flawlessly too? As in the WHOLE disk and not just OSX parts?

Haven't personally used it for Windows so I can't attest to its effectiveness.

However, a fresh Windows install is recommended when moving to an SSD.

You should also ensure that your BIOS is set to use AHCI for disks.

That Transcend SSD340 has a Jmicron controller and has horrible performance. Not worth it.

The Sandisk Ultra Plus with a Marvell controller is far better : http://www.snapdeal.com/product/sandisk-ultra-plus-ssd-128gb/1776437103
I'm getting this, tell me what you think. http://www.snapdeal.com/product/samsung-120-gb-25-inch/1961761840

Just go for used intel 520 series 120GB . Its been discussed in another thread . Bought it yesterday for 3500/ using Axis acoupon . Had already been using it and its awesome
Those are really old SSDs dating back to 2011 releases with pretty low iops.

^why is that?
I'd recommend a clean install because you end up gettin rid of the cruft that has accumulated over the years. You might also experience instability if your old Windows install doesnt play nice with your new drive.

I'm personally running a ~6 year old XPS M1330 with an Vertex 450, a cloned install kept BSOD'ing citing controller errors until I wiped it clean and started from scratch.

AHCI is the newer way to interface with SATA drives. AFAIK it is mandatory for running OSX unless you enjoy kernel panics.

I'd recommend a clean install because you end up gettin rid of the cruft that has accumulated over the years. You might also experience instability if your old Windows install doesnt play nice with your new drive.

I'm personally running a ~6 year old XPS M1330 with an Vertex 450, a cloned install kept BSOD'ing citing controller errors until I wiped it clean and started from scratch.

AHCI is the newer way to interface with SATA drives. AFAIK it is mandatory for running OSX unless you enjoy kernel panics.
I installed this whole thing in january. And i keep it clean.

I almost bought the above one but now considering since im using this on sata 1 should i get a cheaper one.

You could try cloning it. No guarantees, your mileage may vary.
The 840 Evo is a stellar drive, I'd pick it up eyes closed.
Even if you do decide to sell off your laptop, or, god forbid, it turns turtle, the drive will retain its value much better than the cheap stuff. Some of the older drives were also a little unreliable, I'm not sure if it applies to the ones you're considering.

SATA 1.5Gbps will only bottleneck an SSD in sequential speeds. The only sequential transfers are when you're transferring single large files. Please look at random R/W speeds, since thats how your disk is used the majority of the time.
Run CrystalDiskMark on your existing hard drive and look at the benchmark that delivers <1MB/s speeds - that is what an SSD is supposed to improve on.

- While comparing random speeds on SSDs, you might find some "cheaper" SSDs doing as badly as mechanical HDDs, effectively nulling the whole performance boost you should get with a good SSD. The performance difference between SSDs is huge and does not scale with price. Saving hundred bucks can drop performance by a hundred times as well, so be careful.
- As for the Intel 520, just one word - "Sandforce". I can't think of any notable consumer SSDs released this year using a Sandforce controller. If manufacturers are scared of touching it, why should you?
- Finally, if you're looking at resale value, then another point to consider is the limited P/E cycles NAND has. TLC NAND in the 840 Evo has about 1K P/E cycles vs 3~5k P/E cycles on MLC NAND. A TLC NAND drive can still have a lifespan of hundreds of TBs of writes, so you need to consider your usage.

SATA 1.5Gbps will only bottleneck an SSD in sequential speeds. The only sequential transfers are when you're transferring single large files. Please look at random R/W speeds, since thats how your disk is used the majority of the time.
Run CrystalDiskMark on your existing hard drive and look at the benchmark that delivers <1MB/s speeds - that is what an SSD is supposed to improve on.

- While comparing random speeds on SSDs, you might find some "cheaper" SSDs doing as badly as mechanical HDDs, effectively nulling the whole performance boost you should get with a good SSD. The performance difference between SSDs is huge and does not scale with price. Saving hundred bucks can drop performance by a hundred times as well, so be careful.
- As for the Intel 520, just one word - "Sandforce". I can't think of any notable consumer SSDs released this year using a Sandforce controller. If manufacturers are scared of touching it, why should you?
- Finally, if you're looking at resale value, then another point to consider is the limited P/E cycles NAND has. TLC NAND in the 840 Evo has about 1K P/E cycles vs 3~5k P/E cycles on MLC NAND. A TLC NAND drive can still have a lifespan of hundreds of TBs of writes, so you need to consider your usage.
So this Sandisk one then? http://www.snapdeal.com/product/sandisk-ultra-plus-ssd-128gb/1776437103

Thanks guys for all the feedback and suggestions! ORDERED IT :D

Got the Drive @Crazy_Eddy recommended - SanDisk Ultra Plus SSD 128GB Ordered it from Prime ABGB on snapdeal.

Also Ordered a 2.5inch drive casing for transferring the data. Will use it with the older drive. Or maybe get a media player later and set it up as dedicated storage. Though I think its dying . http://www.snapdeal.com/product/lapronics-25inch-sata-hdd-usb/1137714763

Also ordered a Sandisk 32 gb class 10 card with adapter. Will use it for downloading Torrents through the sd card slot. No extra usb port shall be used. Should be a fun experiment. Would also double up as temporary storage for recoding HD video on cameras for events and stuff :D http://www.snapdeal.com/product/sandisk-mobile-ultra-32-gb/257967

Apparently if you order today for more than Rs. 5000 Snapdeal gives a 500 gift voucher a week later. So if you are holding off any purchase, get it TODAY.

^Be careful ordering San disk memory cards from Snapdeal. I received a counterfeit. So many duplicates floating around
Oh damn. It has a lot of reviews and not underpriced. Lets hope its real. Otherwise i'd be pissed!

Although serious, i am more worried about that casing. Very flimsy. lol I hope its lasts till I get the work done.

I would have suggested the Intel. Anyways, with such an old laptop, any SSD is a leg up.
I checked a lot of articles and benchmarks and found that what @Crazy_Eddy said made sense. Here's why -
Sandisk Ultra is a standard implementation and the speeds are due to a good marvel controller and some hardware magic.
Samsung has a lot of Dram (128gb has 128~256mb Dram and it increases with size.) The Intel does preliminary writes in the Dram and then writes the data on idle. This is what you basically call hacking the process, its innovative, but doesnt work really well when the data is more. Secondly its TLC and the life is low (comparatively though most estimate it would last 10 years.) Plus it was 700bucks costlier. There are issues with sleep (go to their page and it says doesnt support sleep) The samsung software will wake you pc a few seconds after you put it to sleep.

About the Intel, the benchmarks and price combo really made me keep distance.

For the price and performance Sandisk seemed like the best pick. Check this review for more -> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ultra-plus-ssd-nand,3502.html

Last edited:
Back