Storage Solutions Upgrading a 7 year old laptop to SSD - Good idea?

I checked a lot of articles and benchmarks and found that what @Crazy_Eddy said made sense. Here's why -
Sandisk Ultra is a standard implementation and the speeds are due to a good marvel controller and some hardware magic.
Samsung has a lot of Dram (128gb has 128~256mb Dram and it increases with size.) The Intel does preliminary writes in the Dram and then writes the data on idle. This is what you basically call hacking the process, its innovative, but doesnt work really well when the data is more. Secondly its TLC and the life is low (comparatively though most estimate it would last 10 years.) Plus it was 700bucks costlier. There are issues with sleep (go to their page and it says doesnt support sleep) The samsung software will wake you pc a few seconds after you put it to sleep.

About the Intel, the benchmarks and price combo really made me keep distance.

For the price and performance Sandisk seemed like the best pick. Check this review for more -> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ultra-plus-ssd-nand,3502.html

My recommendations of Intel is due to the fact that usually, it is an easy fix. Warranty too, is not a big hassle, as it comes with intl warranty.

After reading the article, I realize that there is now a third option apart from Intel and Samsung.[DOUBLEPOST=1407777667][/DOUBLEPOST]
Just keep your important data separate. Data recovery is more difficult from SSD compared with regular platter-based HDDs.

That is, IMO, a misnomer. Unless the data is extremely valuable - in which case the OP would have made backups - the cost of recovering from platter based HDDs is itself expensive to recover.

vivek.krishnan said:
That is, IMO, a misnomer. Unless the data is extremely valuable - in which case the OP would have made backups - the cost of recovering from platter based HDDs is itself expensive to recover.

Ask the bundles of "techies" who lost photos of their near & dear ones. Even after so much info, many don't back-up regularly even today.

Money is not a factor at all, I was mentioning even if you throw money comparatively it is more difficult to recover data, nothing else. It was general advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, Got the SSD and the portable box. But the Sandisk didnt come with a cloning software. What software do I use?
I'd prefer windows.

I'd like to copy the whole disk and see once if it works. there are 4 partitions. One logical. Mavericks has its boot on its own partition, same with windows. Other two are non-boot.

--------------------------------------------------
Ok here's what I think i'l do.

Partition the HDD into 30-30-60gb- Connect the ssd via usb.
1) Boot into hackintosh on current hdd. Use its built-in backup to copy it to a 30gb partition. Then install Chimera package on the ssd through usb. Use chimera package to get it to boot(hopefully).
2) Change the active disk to the next 30gb one on the ssd. Connect it directly (not usb). And install fresh Windows 7.
3) Change the active disk back to hackintosh partition.

This way, the windows bootloader is in the windows partition and the OSX one is in OSX. Chimera boots the machine, I can select OSX or Windows partition. At this time chimera will load to windows boot manager.

My current setup works like this only, except i'l have to install Windows 7 again. Which I would have loved to avoid. (Installing all softwares is a pain.)

Got all the SSD.

Here's what I did.
1) Dumped the 32bit windows, and went for 64bit Windows 7. It frigging flies with the SSD. Windows Experience score of 7.8.
2) Backed up the OSX Mavericks hackintosh and copied it directly to a new partition. Installed chameleon to the same partition. Now I has dual boot with OSX :D

Between the SSD and 64bit. I'm able to utilize the full 4gb ram and the SSD makes it blazing fast. I'm noticing double the amount of chrome tabs than before. Photoshop opens in 1/4th the time. Still installing stuff. The OS partition is reaching 70% capicity. Wondering if this will cause performance drop.

Thinking of getting a Optical drive caddy since the current CD/dvd drive is kaput and the original hdd SMART says its in good condition. But these cost 1200ish :O

Good to know everything working well!

I am kinda in a same boat, have a 3.5 year old laptop. Confused whether sell it or upgrade parts. Will start my own thread

Good to know everything working well!

I am kinda in a same boat, have a 3.5 year old laptop. Confused whether sell it or upgrade parts. Will start my own thread
Whats the config?
Generally if you have a decent-ish graphics card in there that makes it a good allround performer, you can keep using it. Secondly, something like SSD can be swapped out later to a Desktop or laptop or just sold. So nothing to lose really.

Back