CPU/Mobo Upgrading After 3 Yrs.

ZBlue

Disciple
Hello ,

I am planning to upgrade my desktop after 3yrs. I use it primarily for gaming and watching movies (Non-HD). The current config is :

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+
Asus M2NPV-VM
2x Transcend DDR2, PC2-4300 (266 MHz)
XFX GeForce 8600 GT
Samsung Syncmaster 17" CRT
Generic Cabinet/SMPS
Logitech MX3200 keyboard & mouse
XP SP2 (not planning to get Vista anytime soon)

All the components are 3 yrs. old apart from the 8600GT which I bought around 3 months back and all of it is in perfect working condition. I am planning to sell off the existing components (maybe not the CRT/MX3200 but not decided yet). My budget for the upgrade is 20K excluding the resale value of the existing stuff. I am open to both AMD and Intel based configs though I have a slight inclination towards the former.

Like I mentioned the primary use will be for gaming. Need your inputs for what config to get. I am not into overclocking etc at all - just looking for a decent rig which will run games like Crysis , Assassin's Creed etc. at high/acceptably high settings. Also , I would like to get some idea about how much I can expect for the existing components at a shop in Nehru Place for example , which is where I intend to get the new stuff as well .

Thanks ! :)

Check individual component selling rates and full system selling rates, and then sell...

Some prices that you should get according to rates in mumbai are:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ approx 1.5-2k

Asus M2NPV-VM

2x Transcend DDR2, PC2-4300 (266 MHz)

XFX GeForce 8600 GT 2-2.5k

Samsung Syncmaster 17" CRT 1k

Generic Cabinet/SMPS depends on brand, smps may fetch 100

Logitech MX3200 keyboard & mouse

XP SP2 (not planning to get Vista anytime soon) xp is sufficient if you do not want to use dx 10 features for the games.

Btw i was planning to buy a 8600gt, wanted to know if you are able to play the latest games like crysis, mirror's edge etc on high settings ??

deaddevil said:
Btw i was planning to buy a 8600gt, wanted to know if you are able to play the latest games like crysis, mirror's edge etc on high settings ??

I think the 8600 GT is a decent card and I have been able to play Crysis on it on medium settings. Any game released before 2008 can be played with maxed out graphics I think.

I am planning to get an EVGA GTX 260 thru a friend in May. Need help on the most VFM processor/mobo/RAM/cabinet/SMPS combo which will support that card. Budget is 20k.

O.K. so after some extensive research I have narrowed it down to these 2 setups :

Processor Phenom II X4 940 12.4
Mobo Biostar 790GX 128mb A2+ 5.5
RAM GSkill 2x2 GB DDR2 800 MHz 4.2
HD Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB 3
SMPS Corsair VX 550 5.8
Cabinet Antec 900 7
Monitor Samsung 2233SW 11
DVD-RW 22X LG DVD-RW 1.1
Total 50

Processor AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE 7.6
Mobo MSI K9A2 Platinum v2 9
RAM OCZ 4GB DDR2 800MHz 5.5
HD Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB 3
SMPS Corsair VX 550 5.8
Cabinet Antec 900 7
Monitor Samsung 2233SW 11
DVD-RW 22X LG DVD-RW 1.1
Total 50

Will retain my MX3200 for now and will also get a GTX 260 or Radeon HD 48x0 (Dragon !!) some time in May.

Quite liked the NZXT cabinets too. Anybody know if they are available in NP ?
Any suggestions/changes to help finalize the config are most welcome !!

[PS - Primary use - Eye candied gaming !]

^ get a reglar cabbie any cabbie worth more than 1K is a waste of money :p

Get rid of the dvd drive as well. No use of these drives these days. You can get everything done with ur portable hard drive.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say, is there a real NEED for a complete overhaul of your system at all ?
From what i can tell you've got a socket AM2 mobo, so you could probably drop in a newer AM2 processor into it and save a fair bit of cash by not having to replace the mobo.
This cash could be invested into getting a sizeable amount of RAM.For example, any run of the mill 4GB Kit would cost you close to 4k and wouldnt have any significant effect on your gaming performance as compared to the high end "performance" kits. Hard Drives can be bought and attached to give you the extra storage space you need.
The one thing that does need to be overhauled is the Power supply, a GTX 260 needs or rather deserves a decent PSU to keep it powered up. The VX 550 is a good choice there.

If, however you do choose to upgrade the X4 based rig looks like a good balance of value and performance. You might want to reconsider on the Antec 900 though.

Back