PC Peripherals [Upgrading] PSU Need help

bodmas

Adept
Friend,
Need assistance in upgrading PSU for the 1st time from The Iball cabinet. Currently, I am using following config:
GFX - XFX 8600GT (Will upgrade in coming months)
Mobo - ABIT IP35-E
RAM - Dynet 2GB (Will upgrade in coming months to 4GB)
No fans, No coolers but will install in coming months.
My budget is around Rs.2.5k.
I have selected following PSU - Gigabyte Superb 460w.
Do suggest me if there is any better PSU in this range.
Thanks

That's a good entry level PSU for a build like that - don't think there's a better PSU for under 2.3K. What gfx card are you planning to upgrade to?

Get a better PSU then. A 10k gfx card would mean 2 PCI-E power connectors and would draw about 150~170W of power.

FSP has recently introduced some decent VFM power supplies in India silently and Amarbir has stocked them. The FSP SAGA II 500W should be a good one at 2.7k as he's quoted in his sale thread here.

Drop him a PM.

Thanks gannu for assistance.. I will check FSP SAGA II 500w for sure... but many friends here insist on Gigabyte superb 460w also.. but now am confused

^Gigabyte 460W should've been enough for a card like the 4850 or the GTS250 - anything beyond this is certainly going to stress the power supply. I wanted to test this power supply with my 4870 1GB but work spares me no time to. Will do it by the weekend and post the results.

Will wait for GANNU`s experiments on Gigabyte Superb 460w PSU with 4870 1GB. Hoping positive results with it [Fingers crossed]

it would be advisable to slightly raise ur budget to atleast 3k + and buy a better SMPS. Many a times people have to think twice before buying things like graphics card n stuff just because they dont have the right SMPS. Atleast choosing a better SMPS will relieve you of that problem.

Hmm, add some more to your budget seriously because later on you may not be able to upgrade your pc more just coz you dont have a powerful enough psu.

Back