Budget 21-30k Upgrading the family PC used for various purposes including media server (Jellyfin)

How much you pay for it?
Currently ₹1900 per month for 3TB in total, ₹800, ₹650, ₹490 for Mega, GDrive & OneDrive respectively. (All billed yearly plans)

However I plan to upgrade next year to Microsoft's 365 Family Plan which will give me 6TB total for just around ₹650 a month if billed yearly along with seperate account control and Office for all devices.

Currently ₹1900 per month for 3TB in total, ₹800, ₹650, ₹490 for Mega, GDrive & OneDrive respectively. (All billed yearly plans)

However I plan to upgrade next year to Microsoft's 365 Family Plan which will give me 6TB total for just around ₹650 a month if billed yearly along with seperate account control and Office for all devices.
You can get office 365 family edition 1 year subscription for around 4500 using 1000 cb coupon on amazon. That's around 375 per month. Keep in mind though mega & gdrive have more flexibility & options & gdrive especially is more stable/reliable during large amt data transfers than onedrive. Mega is also useful for downloading other stuff without being restricted as free user.

That amount is pretty good, you should be able to snag an entry i3 which will do the job.

You mentioned that the media is on a cloud drive? Could you comment.

Also, any 6th gen and above Intel should do the job for your media stuff, ideally 7th gen above, you should be able to snag it for about less than 10K

In fact, I would suggest you to fill out your details completely with storage etc so a more informed decision can be made.

I personally am using an RPI4, with usb hdds, with plex & qbt in docker, with transcoding turned off for my content. Works absolutely bonkers.
What OS do you use and are you running it off the SD card itself? Planning to tinker with the Pi4 I've got and putting Open Media Vault on it.

You can get office 365 family edition 1 year subscription for around 4500 using 1000 cb coupon on amazon. That's around 375 per month. Keep in mind though mega & gdrive have more flexibility & options & gdrive especially is more stable/reliable during large amt data transfers than onedrive. Mega is also useful for downloading other stuff without being restricted as free user.
How does the renewal work. You buy the same subscription the next year and it stacks?

How does the renewal work. You buy the same subscription the next year and it stacks?
Yes, you can stack up to 5 years on an office 365 subscription. You basically buy the key then enter it in the redeem key page while being logged in to the same office 365 main account (family edition has 1 main acc & up to 5 invite accs) you want the subscription to stack.

I am yet to overclock the system as I am missing a RAM in my dual channel config.

The RMA RAM finally arrived and it is up and running. Can anybody share some learning resources for overclocking Ryzen systems, it's a first for me so I would like to read up before I go around tinkering in the BIOS.

The RMA RAM finally arrived and it is up and running. Can anybody share some learning resources for overclocking Ryzen systems, it's a first for me so I would like to read up before I go around tinkering in the BIOS.
I don't suggest manually overclocking ryzen recent gens unless you really require it not to mention on newer gen ryzen (5xxx & later series) it gives little performance benefits. Only reason I can think of for overclocking 3400G is for some gaming performance but even there the ram overclocking would help much more.

I don't suggest manually overclocking ryzen recent gens unless you really require it not to mention on newer gen ryzen (5xxx & later series) it gives little performance benefits. Only reason I can think of for overclocking 3400G is for some gaming performance but even there the ram overclocking would help much more.

I tried a bit of RAM overclocking and settled at 3000MHz instead of the recommended spec of 2933Mhz of the processor. Pushing the RAM to 3200MHz at 1.3-1.35v (auto-selected by Mobo, let me know if this is the correct voltage for the speed) was resulting in crashes during gaming (especially UE4 titles for some reason) so I manually overrode the XMP profile to 3000MHz and it's pretty stable rn. There were no issues in gaming while still running the Jellyfin server, live streamed a Zoom meeting as well with today for a work presentation and it was pretty smooth too. The temps stayed stable at 45-48C idling (w/ Jellyfin) & peaking at 58-60C while under load while streaming the Zoom meet and gaming.

I tried a bit of RAM overclocking and settled at 3000MHz instead of the recommended spec of 2933Mhz of the processor. Pushing the RAM to 3200MHz at 1.3-1.35v (auto-selected by Mobo, let me know if this is the correct voltage for the speed) was resulting in crashes during gaming (especially UE4 titles for some reason) so I manually overrode the XMP profile to 3000MHz and it's pretty stable rn. There were no issues in gaming while still running the Jellyfin server, live streamed a Zoom meeting as well with today for a work presentation and it was pretty smooth too. The temps stayed stable at 45-48C idling (w/ Jellyfin) & peaking at 58-60C while under load while streaming the Zoom meet and gaming.
I verify my ram overclock with running a custom prime95 blender test but if 2-3 days of few hours typical gaming on the pc run without crashes then that should be fine too. XMP profile is basically "ram manufacturer certified safe overclocking setting" so as long as you only change the speed that too below the XMP profile (like 3000 in this case for 3200 XMP profile) that is fine. Manually changing settings like voltage means going beyond the XMP profile & technically a violation of ram warranty T&C though no easy way for manufacturer to find out if it was responsible for ram failure within warranty.

For overclocking RAM its a two way step with 1st being just to turn up the speed like you did and 2nd to tighten its timings both of which can easily make it unstable if not outright put you PC on boot loop until the motherboard resets the bios. If you want to test if your RAM is 100% stable or not which seems to be crucial for your workload, you need to run a memory stress test for a few hours. Most use memtest86, I personally have used testmem 5 v0.12 with a custom config that's pretty aggressive in finding out memory errors and that saved a lot of my time.

1.35v for 3200mhz is doable for most DDR4 now a days but since yours isn't working you should try 1.4v. DDR4 is safe up to 1.5v (although just to be safe I wouldn't push further than 1.4v myself). I have had 1 RAM stick gone bad and throwing errors even after setting it back to default speed and had to get it RMA'd so many overclocking RAM too much is not worth it in the long run. Even if the RAM test is showing no errors you might get one in the future depending on how much aggressive your OC is.

Also update your BIOS if you haven't yet, It helps with RAM OC (usually).

Back