PC Peripherals UPS for someone who hates APC

Its been like 10 years I've used these crappy ups which die in a year or 2.
used to run whole house with pc and tv on a 850va single battery pure sinewave amaron inverter.
peace.
last 3 years bought a 5kw solar hybrid.

It was delivered today. Ever since I set it up, the fan has been constantly ramping up and down, which is very irritating. A constant fan would have been ok, a switched off fan would have been better. But this constant on and off is very distracting. Is it worth RMA-ing? Is this considered normal?
That fan isn't spinning normally. It looks like some wire is loose. You can ask for warranty/RMA. In my experience, APC replaces UPS with a refurbished model. The replaced unit should have a fan whinnying consistently.
Anyway, did you check reviews about this model? Most people complain about the fan.

1713167650846.png

My previous UPS was doing sudden shutdowns in the middle of the night, under trivial load. So I bit the bullet and got myself a premium APC UPS: the APC Back-UPS Pro BR1500G-IN.

It was delivered today. Ever since I set it up, the fan has been constantly ramping up and down, which is very irritating. A constant fan would have been ok, a switched off fan would have been better. But this constant on and off is very distracting. Is it worth RMA-ing? Is this considered normal?

You can hear the fan if you turn up the volume on this video:

I'm also using the same, recently got it. Fan only turns on when it runs on battery, else it works without issues.

I think you can give Artis a try.. they provide two yrs of warranty for both battery and UPS which is not common. Usually everyone give an yr on battery whoch dies quite early

Is it worth RMA-ing?
Update:
  • I called customer support on Monday morning (Apr 15)
  • A technician visited to inspect the device on Tuesday afternoon (Apr 16). He slapped the device a few times and swapped the batteries, but nothing helped. Then he took down the details.
  • A different technician replaced the device with a brand new replacement device today afternoon (Apr 17). The new device is working fine (no fan noise during regular operation).
So in all, a good resolution so far. Impressed with the speed of service.

My post from August 2023,
Update. This is what I did. Got a fresh set of Exide to replace the old set of Exide.
And, now, the time has come again. The batteries are flat. They did not even last for a whole year. And, I don't even suffer that many power outages. Lol. Last time I checked, a few weeks ago, the backup was about 20 minutes (down from 1 hour on new batteries, 9 months ago). UPS was always plugged in. I never cut off its power supply as I have a range extender and a switch getting their power through UPS's no-backup ports.

Where is the person who said we should always keep the UPS power on to have batteries last longer?

Now, I'm in a dilemma, should I go through the hassle of replacing batteries under warranty? Or get a no-fuss UPS. Has anyone replaced batteries under warranty? How does that work? I don't suppose it's an instant process?

Other brands UPS let you run your computer even with bad batteries. But, APC doesn't. I had an important meeting, but this UPS had other thoughts.

Where is the person who said we should always keep the UPS power on to have batteries last longer?
Do you mean me, the UPS manufacturers, the battery manufacturers, or the rest of the users around the world who have had no problems?

If it is me, I'm patiently waiting for you to test if this is a viable solution for you, which I provided last year in your other thread:
  • Add a switch to disconnect the batteries from the UPS
  • Switch off mains supply to UPS when PC is off
  • Switch off the batteries
This should save your battery and power bill
--------
Now, I'm in a dilemma, should I go through the hassle of replacing batteries under warranty? Or get a no-fuss UPS. Has anyone replaced batteries under warranty? How does that work? I don't suppose it's an instant process?
Never had to replace their UPS battery, but Exide replaced my 1 year old car battery right away. The tech performed a CCA battery test and swapped in a brand new one right away. I think they offered next day door step service, but I had to drive out of state that day, so I went to their service centre myself instead.

Last time I checked, a few weeks ago, the backup was about 20 minutes (down from 1 hour on new batteries, 9 months ago)
Do you always "check max backup time" as soon as you get new batteries? You're not supposed to discharge regular lead acid batteries below 50%. It will reduce their life drastically.
Since there is no way to check backup time without completely draining them, I think we have found your problem.

Do you mean me, the UPS manufacturers, the battery manufacturers, or the rest of the users around the world who have had no problems?
It's not about having problems, mate. People passionately debate on the efficiencies of AMD vs Intel. Why not debate about on power efficiency of UPS too? In the long term, it matters more than the efficiency of CPUs. Because for many people, UPS is the biggest power hog of their systems not the CPU, not GPU but UPS.

Anyway, we talked too much on this topic either on this thread or in the other. Someday, some big YT influencer will talk about this. Until then, let's leave it at that.

Switch off mains supply to UPS when PC is off
That's what I have been advocating, haven't I?

Never had to replace their UPS battery, but Exide replaced my 1 year old car battery right away. The tech performed a CCA battery test and swapped in a brand new one right away. I think they offered next day door step service, but I had to drive out of state that day, so I went to their service centre myself instead.
Good to know. I'll bring the batteries to their service center. If they give me good batteries back, I'll probably attach them to my server UPS (micro load one). Meanwhile, I got a brand-new UPS from Artis.

Do you always "check max backup time" as soon as you get new batteries?
Nope. It was on the day of a real power outage.

You're not supposed to discharge regular lead acid batteries below 50%. It will reduce their life drastically.
We seem to have different opinion on this matter. Even the APC guy, who replaced my UPS in its first month, told me to cycle (charged > fully drain > recharge) at least once in a month to keep batteries healthy.

That's what I have been advocating, haven't I?
You missed my other steps, which actually save the battery. You will save electricity no doubt, but sacrifice your battery instead.

Nope. It was on the day of a real power outage.

We seem to have different opinion on this matter. Even the APC guy, who replaced my UPS in its first month, told me to cycle (charged > fully drain > recharge) at least once in a month to keep batteries healthy.
Opinions don't matter, only facts do. You can't use a PC UPS to "continue working"; you use it to save your work and shutdown safely ASAP.
Lead acid battery chemistry is well documented for you to peruse, but here's a quick summary:

Lead Acid:

Pros:
  • Cheap
  • High current output: can push 30+ amps @ 24V easily to produce 500W @ 240V at 80% efficiency
  • Mature tech: even a knock off will perform well
Cons:
  • Low cyclic life: <=500 cycles @ 50% depth of discharge
  • Can't fast charge. Reduces battery life
  • Can't overcharge. Reduces battery life
  • Battery is permanently damaged iffully drained and not recharged immediately

Lithium ion:

Pros:
  • Higher cyclic life 1000+ even at 100% DoD
  • Can be fast charged
Cons:
  • More expensive
  • Li-ion is a fire hazard when exposed to heat. Li-Fe is more stable, but even more expensive
  • Lower current output. Can't push 30+ amps @ 24V easily to produce 500W @ 240V at 80% efficiency

So you see, there's no cheaper alternative to Lead acid currently.
If effeciency is all that you care about, a laptop is what you need - their CPUs are more efficient and they don't need a UPS. Win-win.

Until LiFe batteries become more affordable, we won't get an upgrade. We are simply limited by the technology of our time.

Edit: Forgot to mention I killed my UPS batteries a while ago by using PC until the UPS cut off. I really needed to use the PC, and knew what it would cost. They were 2+ years at that point, and wouldn't recharge even with a standalone charger

Last edited:
You missed my other steps, which actually save the battery. You will save electricity no doubt, but sacrifice your battery instead.
But then I left the UPS always powered as suggested by you and the manual, and still, it didn't save the batteries. Proving my point that one doesn't need to power a fully charged UPS. It's a waste of electricity. Not everyone gets frrrrrreeeeeeeeee electricity.

Edit: Forgot to mention I killed my UPS batteries a while ago by using PC until the UPS cut off. I really needed to use the PC, and knew what it would cost. They were 2+ years at that point, and wouldn't recharge even with a standalone charger
That's not my experience. I have owned several UPS from different brands in the past 2 decades and have used them to 100%. That has never killed battery.

But then I left the UPS always powered as suggested by you and the manual, and still, it didn't save the batteries. Proving my point that one doesn't need to power a fully charged UPS. It's a waste of electricity.
You're following so many bad practises, they are all compounding in reducing battery life. Eliminating only one of them at a time won't help. You need to follow all the good practises. Ask yourself why you alone in this world seemed to be cursed by all these "problems"?

Not everyone gets frrrrrreeeeeeeeee electricity.
No need to get salty over someone getting something for free. I've always used a UPS with my desktop. I use it coz I need it, not coz it's ffffrrreeeeee. Perhaps your energy is better directed writing to your elected representative and asking them to benefit its citizens instead of sowing communal hatred.

It's amazing that you find it easy to taunt me instead of questioning why all states are not providing free electricity: the majority is coming from wind/hydel anyway, so it is indeed "free". But you let your jealously get the better of you. Awesome. If it will help you sleep better tonight, know that in summers I exceed the free quota by running the AC and have to pay full bill.

It's amazing that you find it easy to taunt me instead of questioning why all states are not providing free electricity: the majority is coming from wind/hydel anyway, so it is indeed "free". But you let your jealously get the better of you. Awesome. If it will help you sleep better tonight, know that in summers I exceed the free quota by running the AC and have to pay full bill.
The infrastructure to generate electricity doesn't come for free. It requires maintenance too.
If it's indeed free one can get their own solar/hydro/wind generator and set it up themselves at home/office and have the "free" electricity.

Also most of the people who taunt about free electricity for Delhi don't know half the truth that the person has to pay the bill for the whole units consumed if they exceed the quota which most middle-class families with at least 2 ACs do.

The infrastructure to generate electricity doesn't come for free. It requires maintenance too.
Absolutely pay for maintenance, not for profit. If you look at your bill closely, you will see a minimum monthly charge. Especially in rural areas, a flat charge is all they pay.
Remember when mobile carriers were charging us by the second/minute? And now everyone offers unlimited.
The market has been saturated enough that operating costs is low

An analogy is that Indian Railways operates at a loss. What does that even mean?
WE own the railways
WE pay fare to cover the operating costs/maintenance, and the rest from taxes WE pay
End of story

We don't need to pay extra to show something we own as being profitable.
The state has invested a lot directly or indirectly via loans, so it should own the power grid, not lease it off to the relatives of those in power, who then sell it by the unit.

Also most of the people who taunt about free electricity for Delhi don't know half the truth that the person has to pay the bill for the whole units consumed if they exceed the quota which most middle-class families with at least 2 ACs do.
Exactly! It can actually give you extra anxiety.

Last edited:
Back