USB Wifi Adapter

Hi Friends,

I need to buy a USB Wifi adapter to connect to my laptop as a second wifi connection to connect to Huawei Power-Fi E8231 hotspot connection for Internet connection. Huawei Power-Fi E8231 will be kept about 25 to 30 feet apart from the laptop. Please give me advises about which will be best adapter below rupees 500 or near to get. I searched amazon.in and it showed many of them and of various brands, and I am very, very confused which one to get.

Thanks in advance for advises.

You are right, I need to bridge two 2g connection, as where I have to use, only 2g connection works there. The card you referred seems to be fake one. In the specifications, it shows "Supports 150Mbps receiving rate" while on the ad board, it shows Mini USB WiFi Antenna 600Mbps.

I might have overlooked the specifications but that was just an example of device you can buy. I know 600Mbps is fake one, but any mediatek device will work in this range < 500/- Rs.

Hi friends, I have TP-LINK's TD-W8968 300Mbps Wireless N USB ADSL2+ modem cum router.

Can this be used to connect to Huawei Power-Fi E8231 hotspot connection through wirelessly and then connect the laptop to TP-LINK's TD-W8968 through its LAN connection?

Nope.. I dont think you can do so.. First of all I dont think the router will connect wirelessly to the hotspot unless there is such a specific feature with the router.. Check the router's specs to see if it can act as a repeater... If yes then may be it is possible..

Hi friends, I have TP-LINK's TD-W8968 300Mbps Wireless N USB ADSL2+ modem cum router.

Can this be used to connect to Huawei Power-Fi E8231 hotspot connection through wirelessly and then connect the laptop to TP-LINK's TD-W8968 through its LAN connection?

I'm not sure if TP-Link router has the wireless range extension capability, but you can plug the Huawei data card in USB port and it should be good to use.

You can get a TP Link MR3020/MR3220 or MR3420. Insert the data card to router USB. The router will take the internet connection from dongle USB port and will share it via wi fi. Data card does not need ro have wi fi inbuilt for this to work. You can share internet of any data card using these routers.
Not sure what you meant by bridging connections. But you can attach output of TD-8968 to WAN port of these routers. It will work as a fallback option then. If dongle internet is down, it will use TD8968 internet and vice versa. Not sure if you can use both simultaneously.
If you have DSL internet(cable internet) then you do not need to use the TD W8968. You can insert the cable internet to WAN port of MR3020/3220/3420.

I am planning to get this adapter. http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-11_TL-WN823N.html#specifications

Will it work properly with windows xp sp3 and windows 7?
You will be able to use only 1 adapter(internal wi fi or this wi fi adapter) at any given point of time. You won't be able to use both simultaneously (as far as I know).
Even if you try to use ethernet and wi-fi simultaneously, your laptop will be able to connect to only one network(as far as I have seen)

I am planning to get this adapter. http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-11_TL-WN823N.html#specifications

Will it work properly with windows xp sp3 and windows 7?

Will work with windows 7 correctly.. But the tp link software needs some get used to.. Since it wont store the wifi passwords by default and you need to create profiles for every network you connect to..

You will be able to use only 1 adapter(internal wi fi or this wi fi adapter) at any given point of time. You won't be able to use both simultaneously (as far as I know).
Even if you try to use ethernet and wi-fi simultaneously, your laptop will be able to connect to only one network(as far as I have seen)

You can actually.. By bridging the adapters and also there are some softwares like speedify which enables the same..

Back