Car & Bike Verna Petrol Basic Model VS Honda City Basic Model

rite

Skilled
Which of the two is better?

Pros and cons of each?

Not 100% decided till now, but hopefully will buy either of the two really soon.

Budget is like 8-8.5+ inc road tax and insurnace. And only sedans.

The only disadvantage of the Verna seems to be not that good rear seats, comfort and leg space. Is the difference really huge?

Also, for passengers, which car is smoother and by how much?

^^If you are spending that much amount then it makes sense to go to both Honda and Hyundai showrooms and take a test drive,you will get to know the differences on your own.

The advantages of City is that it is a HONDA - japanese, bullet proof reliabilty, snob value of honda - Segment king in petrol sales

Hyundai - cheapo korean.... if you're buying a petrol verna, worry about the re-sale of the car. better buy a diesel verna than a petrol verna. The honda city will have a better resale than petrol verna.

The Honda City base model has ABS with EBD, Driver and Co-Passenger Airbags. Verna Petrol base has none of these safety features.

What do you want, the oomph looks of the car OR your looks in case of an accident (God forbid). Play safe, safety should come first, everything else, later.

Trust me on this, get a honda, you won't find a better fun to drive, reliable, tried and tested ultra smooth and refined petrol engine elsewhere (in this segment atleast).

The current discounts make the deal even sweeter!

City

Advantages: Faster. More Comfortable. Honda Badge, reliability, service and hospitality (unless you are really unlucky). More stable at high speeds. More refined engine, a gem to be frank. FULL SAFETY PACKAGE (Safety should be highest priority)

Dis-advantages: Less features. Spares cost high if you would ever need them (generally you don't, that's how reliable it is), NO ICE

Verna

Advantages: Decent safety package, but reviews suggest its not very encouraging when you brake(pro/con???). Features(The only selling point). Relatively bigger service network. Cheaper spares.

Disadvantages: Yes there is an ICE but its pathetic. Interiors are not that great, especially the fake wood. Boat like at high speed, very dangerous. Hyundai badge does not have the same value as Honda. Reliability may or may not be great as its new. Service/sales in quite sub par compared to Honda (seems less professional), Seating not as good as Honda.

Looks are highly subjective, so no comments.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

spawnfreak said:
The advantages of City is that it is a HONDA - japanese, bullet proof reliabilty, snob value of honda - Segment king in petrol sales

Hyundai - cheapo korean.... if you're buying a petrol verna, worry about the re-sale of the car. better buy a diesel verna than a petrol verna. The honda city will have a better resale than petrol verna.

The Honda City base model has ABS with EBD, Driver and Co-Passenger Airbags. Verna Petrol base has none of these safety features.

What do you want, the oomph looks of the car OR your looks in case of an accident (God forbid). Play safe, safety should come first, everything else, later.

Trust me on this, get a honda, you won't find a better fun to drive, reliable, tried and tested ultra smooth and refined petrol engine elsewhere (in this segment atleast).

The current discounts make the deal even sweeter!

I think he is talking about the 1.6 base version which has quite a few features.

If not. Buying Honda City is a no brainer.

ragzdiablo said:
^If he increases his budget he can get vento, verna diesel.
See the petrol prices and the FE, for a long run..diesel would be better.
ragzdiablo said:
Why Petrol? :O
Dude! Do you have any idea that there is an initial difference of atleast 1.20 lacs in between diesel and petrol models?

*Delhi govt. has increased 2.5% extra road tax on Diesel cars (soon all states will follow) *Insurance companies have increased 30% premium on diesel vehicles (+ 15% discount to petrol vehicles)
*Add to that Rs. 4000 per service you pay extra than a petrol car.

For example, In the verna, initially you're paying Rs. 1,20,000 extra on the diesel model.
Rs. 25000 extra road tax
Rs. 10350 extra on insurance.
Rs. 8000 worth of extra cost on service per year.

Total = Rs. 1,63,350 more on a diesel car than a petrol (same models)

Now think, are you going to spend Rs. 1,63,350 on Fuel till you change your car? (considering that you're not using you car as TAXI)

This total amount can be more than 1.63 lacs in cities like bangalore where road tax is very very high!

@ spawnfreak : what are the rough costs of petrol vs diesel servicing - 4k extra for diesel is a bit too much isn't it?

could you just provide the actual cost of petrol vs diesel servicing?

spawnfreak said:
Dude! Do you have any idea that there is an initial difference of atleast 1.20 lacs in between diesel and petrol models?

*Delhi govt. has increased 2.5% extra road tax on Diesel cars (soon all states will follow) *Insurance companies have increased 30% premium on diesel vehicles (+ 15% discount to petrol vehicles)

*Add to that Rs. 4000 per service you pay extra than a petrol car.

For example, In the verna, initially you're paying Rs. 1,20,000 extra on the diesel model.

Rs. 25000 extra road tax

Rs. 10350 extra on insurance.

Rs. 8000 worth of extra cost on service per year.

Total = Rs. 1,63,350 more on a diesel car than a petrol (same models)

Now think, are you going to spend Rs. 1,63,350 on Fuel till you change your car? (considering that you're not using you car as TAXI)

This total amount can be more than 1.63 lacs in cities like bangalore where road tax is very very high!
Rightly said, I recommended diesel because even im going planning to buy one.

And considering the FE difference and the price of fuel diff. you will be making up that 1.63 lakh in around 5 years.

The lancer im running now is 12 years old, infact all the cars my dad buys stay for atleast 7 years. So diesel is a better choice.

going for a petrol car which gives 12-14kmpl and the price of fuel in delhi being Rs.67.67...just doesnt make sense.

babhishek said:
@ spawnfreak : what are the rough costs of petrol vs diesel servicing - 4k extra for diesel is a bit too much isn't it?

could you just provide the actual cost of petrol vs diesel servicing?
Once I had my friend's i20(P) who was out of country and his IInd Service was coming up in a few days. I called up the A.S.S and got an appointment. Got a rough quote of Rs. 5100.

Researched online and found that IInd service should cost around 1500 bucks.
Called the advisor again and got to know that he had given me estimate of i20 Diesel. The new estimate was Rs. 16xx.

Now the difference comes to around Rs. 34xx something. Assuming the fact that verna has a slightly larger engine, the labour and consumables cost should be up by atleast 500 bucks which bumps into the 4 grands territory.

I am disappointed that a person from high-income class deciding to buy cars for servants. Didnt it come up in your research rite? that both verna and honda city are for low-income families, :bleh:

Anyway, I will only be keeping the car for:

min 3-4 years

hopefully max 4-5 years

And Diesel won't have any advantage. I won't run it as much to make Petrol more expensive. For me Diesel if at all will be more expensive.

Honda City... that's the car.. Looks prettier than the Verna (personal opinion), good engine.. serviced it 4 times till now, no niggles at all..

Max servicing bill is 1500/-

Back