Car & Bike Verna Petrol Basic Model VS Honda City Basic Model

ragzdiablo said:
Rightly said, I recommended diesel because even im going planning to buy one.
And considering the FE difference and the price of fuel diff. you will be making up that 1.63 lakh in around 5 years.
The lancer im running now is 12 years old, infact all the cars my dad buys stay for atleast 7 years. So diesel is a better choice.
going for a petrol car which gives 12-14kmpl and the price of fuel in delhi being Rs.67.67...just doesnt make sense.
Cost of diesel car maintanance gets exponential with time. If you are going to own a diesel for more than 5-6yrs, be prepared to shell out a bomb for maintanance.

I've read a lot of reviews of the verna, and though it looks fantastic, pretty much every review said that it handles like a boat and brakes arent that confident. In that sense, Honda city is the best bet. Though, i would suggest wait for the new Ford Fiesta. Cause they are supposed to have an aggressive pricing for that car to compete with the verna and city. and the european styling is mental. I'd just go for the looks! :D

And you if are thinking of diesel, i think the fiesta diesel will be really good, as the previous fiesta was good as well.

1. I should be able to afford New Fiesta Petrol (not Diesel).

2. I don't need Diesel for my requirements if that means shelling 1L+ in the beginning.

3. I don't want to wait 3-5 weeks for Fiesta. Need to purchase now.

I personally like the looks of Verna Fluidic a LOT LOT better than Honda City. It basically depends on the rear seat comfort, if they are comparable we may go for the Verna, else it will probably be the City :)

rite said:
I personally like the looks of Verna Fluidic a LOT LOT better than Honda City. It basically depends on the rear seat comfort, if they are comparable we may go for the Verna, else it will probably be the City :)
Chauffeur driven? Get a test drive and see if it is stable at high speeds. Get a feel of the verna.

Ya, it will be driven by my driver. So I don't need to drive and check.

But ya, rear seats may need to be tested before buying.

Honda has the rear seat comfort and space advantage than Verna.

If you like the verna, go for it BUT keep in mind that the PETROL Verna will give you a hit while reselling the car because its's dzl model is more in demand and sale of petrol is 10/100. Better get the diesel verna.

Rest, In my opinion, hyundais are built to cost. cheap plastic and body panels. uninspiring brakes, handling is the most dangerous part. A few years down the line, their Korean character starts to show up. That's when you'll think that you should have bought a reliable workhorse aka a Japanese car.

Niggle free for lakhs of miles.

^ I would have given the benefit of doubt of a typo, had Y and A been close to each other. On the contrary, they are on the opposite ends of the hand :p

Supra said:
I thought Honda City is aptly known as Honda Shitty :D...but seems views r different here :p

Why is that? It was definitely over priced but after cutting prices by more than 60000 Rs. i think its a decent buy.

If the OP is not averse to used cars he can get a used Civic (~5 year old) in very good condition for around 6.5L. But the service and spares are costly.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Also, the service cost for diesel cars that you are mentioning are not correct. It is a bit higher than petrol but not that much as you all projected. I own a 3.5 year old Swift D and it has run ~40K kM so far. The service costs are not huge and everytime I fill her up the bill gives me a big smile. The savings that I make on monthly fuel bill compensates everything else :D .

Leave i20, Verna etc - they have a higher service cost and spare cost (specially the i20)

Regular service for the Swift D

engine oil 3 Lt - Rs. 750 (petrol engine oil also cost the same)

mobil filter - Rs 380 compared to 150 for the petrol version.

Labour Rs. 100 for both.

Get a Maruti - you will not be bothered by service cost. It will be a bit higher than the Petrol counterpart (approx. 10-15% higher max) not as much as you are talking.

Suggested reading:

Brand new ANHC or used Civic to keep for 10 years. Edit: Got a 2007 Honda Civic - Team-BHP

Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience!Part II 50k kms Update Page 116 - Team-BHP

Go in for Honda City .. +100 only because of the SAFETY PACKAGE as standard. Rest all can be done aftermarket. Its a no-brainer. Also, ANHC is having more horsepower than the 1.4 ANHV.

However, if u can extend the budget to ANHV 1.6 SX, then its total droolmaal ! :)

rite said:
Narrowed down on Basic variant of Honda City. Will cost us 8.16L on road including insurance after discount.
Which City?? Today went to honda showroom in bangalore and they said it is 9.2L for the basic version

^^Bangalore has the highest road tax in the country,so its the same honda city but you will be paying 1L extra :cool2:

Supra said:
^^ Ya dont tell me ur eyes cant space out a typo :rofl:...I know all Honda fanbois will hurl at me now :p
No no my friend, its not about fanboyism.. its about a car that has ruled the Indian C segment for over 10 years ;)

rite said:
Narrowed down on Basic variant of Honda City. Will cost us 8.16L on road including insurance after discount.
Good choice @rite. This car will put a smile on your face every time you tap the accelerator :)

BTW, the Honda ICE is made my and has the best sound quality amongst the segment competitors. Try to negotiate with the dealer on the original ICE.

Wish you lakhs of happy miles :)

Back