w00t !! Android From MicroMax this Diwali As Google Wants To Reach Out :)

w00t !! Android From MicroMax this Diwali As Google Wants To Reach Out :)
Micromax_Logo.png

android_apps.jpeg

New Delhi based Micromax Informatics Ltd, which has become a known player in cheap mobile phone market in India, is said to be working on an Android phone. This Android phone will be launched around the festival of Diwali i.e. first week of November.

According to a report in WSJ,

Most of the initial Google-powered phones in India from global handset makers such as Motorola Inc. and HTC Corp. cost upward of $400—a high price for a market where 42% of the population of 1.2 billion people earns less than $1.25 a day.

To target India's vast middle class, Google is banking largely on a crop of inexperienced Indian smartphone manufacturers including Micromax Informatics Ltd., Spice Mobility Ltd., and Olive Telecom to make Android phones in the $150 range, and eventually the sub-$100 level.

"You've got a lot of innovation happening from local manufacturers ," said Vinay Goel, who oversees Google's products in India.

He said Android phones selling for more than $400 are only going to capture "a really niche market" in India. "To be in the mainstream, you have to be in the $100 to $200 range," Mr. Goel said. "The closer to $100 the better."

Since launching Android in late 2007, Google has been aiming to develop devices with the functions of smartphones that are priced in a range the mass market can afford.

Micromax is not settling with just one Android phone, it has planned to include at least four Android phones before March 2011 in its portfolio. According to people familiar with the development, Spice Mobility is also working on more Android phones.

This is certainly good for consumer who will have a lot more choice that too within their budget.
Lets w00t then,Shall we? :clap::clap::clap:

Source - Google Bets on Cheap Smartphones for India - WSJ.com

The low cost android phones might be capable of capturing even some people from higher segments too unless they dont compromise on their harware quality

Very good news indeed. Would be great to have a decent android phone under 10k.

But how about the reliability of brands like Micromax? Are they like the typical china phones?

GuruGulabKhatri said:
^^ The GUI? Yes Yes Yes...Its P-wait-for-it-thetic...On the Hardware front however they Seem to be quite capable....
If it's just GUI, then Android would take care of that. :D If the hardware is reliable and build quality is decent, it will be very interesting to see the affordable Android 2.2 gadgets. :clap:

arun687 said:
But how about the reliability of brands like Micromax? Are they like the typical china phones?

nope at least better than those chinese phones

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Maybe the prices of high end android phones will reduce with availability of low cost android phones

A serious matter to worry for nokia and roll out a bunch of Android phones

Chinese phone manufacturers don need to worry about their reputation so they don care much bout quality but in case of Micromaxx they do need to keep an eye on quality if they are really serious of growth plans

This is awesome news! I've been waiting for this to happen! :D

Micromax has pretty good build quality and the hardware used is decent. The GUI is the sad part, but with Android, we won't have to worry about that! :D

I have seen a few Micromax'es around(at most 18 months old) and I must say they are more than decent in their hardware. Definitely felt they could compete in the lower segment with the nokia's and the samsungs. I am on the fence with regards to their Android launches though.

Back