Want an upgrade from A540

verma

Disciple
I've been using A540 for more than one and half year now. I'm pretty happy with the IQ it produces, but for the sake of change (for Better IQ and Manual Control) I want an upgrade now.;)

So which is the cheapest P&S cam which can give better IQ and manual control over A540?

Or no P&S can, but I'd look for entry level DSLR?

Flow in the suggestions.:D

AFAIK 590IS is no good comparing to A540 (though it lacks IS).

A570IS surely was better, but discontinued.

and for the price of S5IS, I'd better buy a DSLR. S3IS discontinued.

Any other model?

verma said:
AFAIK 590IS is no good comparing to A540 (though it lacks IS).

A570IS surely was better, but discontinued.

and for the price of S5IS, I'd better buy a DSLR. S3IS discontinued.

Any other model?

A DSLR for the price of an S5? :O Do remember to look at the grey market too ;)

verma said:
I've been using A540 for more than one and half year now. I'm pretty happy with the IQ it produces, but for the sake of change (for Better IQ and Manual Control) I want an upgrade now.;)

So which is the cheapest P&S cam which can give better IQ and manual control over A540?

Or no P&S can, but I'd look for entry level DSLR?

Flow in the suggestions.:D

What's your budget????

^^^IMHO if your hands are not steady enough while taking shots, It's useful.

Also it's good for a upper side of long telephoto zoom camera.

Let's experts talk more about it.

Checksum said:
OT question: Does IS really make a noticeable difference?

Yes it does. You have to use one cam with IS to realise how you were doing without it. Half the time the blurry shots you get are eliminated using IS. :)

In current market, it just doesnt make sense to buy a cam without some sort of optical stabilisation (NOT digital, thats a waste)

Well I guess image are not at all blury if your hands are steady.

IMO it doesn't have much use for a 4x or 6x zoom camera.

For larger zoom camera it holds advantage.

verma said:
Didn't mention the budget as I asked for the cheapest one which can give better IQ and manual control comparing to A540.

Everything(say every feature) comes at a price..

So if you do mention a budget we could suggest a model in that price range !?

Take Canon for instance, the 590IS which retails at 9k is a model worth recommending but your not very keen on it then there's the SX110is retailing at 15-16k ! Then there's the SX 10 IS, the G10 at much higher prices !

You get my drift???

On a lighter note..

The Panny LZ8 & LZ10 are two models you can consider ! But then don't go around comparing the PQ with Canons..:hap5:

thetoxicmind said:
Everything(say every feature) comes at a price..
So if you do mention a budget we could suggest a model in that price range !?

Take Canon for instance, the 590IS which retails at 9k is a model worth recommending but your not very keen on it then there's the SX110is retailing at 15-16k ! Then there's the SX 10 IS, the G10 at much higher prices !
You get my drift???

On a lighter note..
The Panny LZ8 & LZ10 are two models you can consider ! But then don't go around comparing the PQ with Canons..:hap5:

Well you didn't get my point, I actually said cheapest.

If A590IS can give considerably better IQ and manual control than A540 than I'd have bought it, but I don't think so (considerable difference in IQ and manual control, coz for a marginally difference I won't like to buy it obviously, and JFYI if you didn't read the first post correctly, I already own an A540)

So the point is, which is Lowest price camera considerably better than my existing A540?

It might be SX110 or G10 or D40 etc.

Obviously many cams are considerably better than A540, I want cheapest of this lot. :D

But what do you want ??? Better IQ ? - Get a DSLR, no P&S will comes close in IQ dept.

Better zoom range ??? - Then lots of options - Panny TZ4, Canon S10 IS etc etc.

verma said:
Well you didn't get my point, I actually said cheapest.

If A590IS can give considerably better IQ and manual control than A540 than I'd have bought it, but I don't think so (considerable difference in IQ and manual control, coz for a marginally difference I won't like to buy it obviously, and JFYI if you didn't read the first post correctly, I already own an A540)

I notice very well that you own a A540 but all I'm trying to say is that there are no CHEAP options if you want the BEST of IQ,manual controls and other new features...

Either you ask for the best of something or the cheapest of something,both aren't possible is what i'm trying to say..

The cheapest option sure is gonna miss out on a lot...

Don't get me wrong here..

So the point is, which is Lowest price camera considerably better than my existing A540?

It might be SX110 or G10 or D40 etc.

Obviously many cams are considerably better than A540, I want cheapest of this lot. :D

Exactly,the next best alternative is expensive ! unless you consider 15-16k cheap ??? else do define cheap by limiting it in the form of a budget,which i asked for in the first place?

BF1983 said:
But what do you want ??? Better IQ ? - Get a DSLR, no P&S will comes close in IQ dept.

Better zoom range ??? - Then lots of options - Panny TZ4, Canon S10 IS etc etc.

Exactly what I'm trying to get at !?

:S

well i am not a cam expert but i can try to solve some confusion

i think verma wants to know that whats the cheapest cam that has better IQ and manual controls than A540 which he owns, no doubt there would be many better cams than A540 but what would be the starting range of them,i think thats what he is asking for.

agent_47 said:
well i am not a cam expert but i can try to solve some confusion

i think verma wants to know that whats the cheapest cam that has better IQ and manual controls than A540 which he owns, no doubt there would be many better cams than A540 but what would be the starting range of them,i think thats what he is asking for.

You got it perfectly dear :hap2:

What is the starting range of such cam and which will be that lowest model?

Back