Storage Solutions Want to buy a new DVD writer, please advise

I too don't have good experience with LG drives. I bought a LG 4167B DVD writer about 3 years ago. The drive failed after 3 years after relatively less use. The drive was also slow to startup.

Earlier one of my Samsung CD writer had problem with tray opening after 2 years of low use. But I'm hearing that that they have improved a lot in recent.

I'm also in search of a new DVD writer as my LG one has failed. Haven't able to make any decision yet. So, watching this thread.

People using a writer for more than two years please post.

i am having samsung SH-S203D sata dvd writer...it worked fine for abt 1yr...now i m not able to burn n e dvd on it...only cd burnig is possible :(

imo sony dvd writers are good....i used to have one .....burned lots of dvd with it almost near to 200 - 300.....but it died after approx 2yr of usage

lol.. I think I am the only one to get a mileage of more than 3 yrs from writers.. seems like HP ones are good if your views on LG and Samsung are considered..

I've heard that new Samsung drives are good - they have rectified many problems.

Never bought a HP optical drive before - how is the availability?

samsung and LG are not that good , esp Samsung. It will fail within 1 yr or just after that. lots of noise too.
I found HP good.
Though now a days, I don't consider DVD writer's life more than 10 months.
My samsung 203 failed in 10 months, gave it for RMA. collected it after a week and it doesn't work. Samsung SC did nothing..just write the Job card and made me wait for aweek and travel from Thane to Lammy twice.

I tried samsung,LG,LiteOn and latest got Sony. LG is poor in reading n writing,I think samsung is better then Liteon,so far I find sony is best. But performance may vary depending on the model number.

archat68 said:
I too don't have good experience with LG drives. I bought a LG 4167B DVD writer about 3 years ago. The drive failed after 3 years after relatively less use. The drive was also slow to startup.

Earlier one of my Samsung CD writer had problem with tray opening after 2 years of low use. But I'm hearing that that they have improved a lot in recent.

I'm also in search of a new DVD writer as my LG one has failed. Haven't able to make any decision yet. So, watching this thread.

People using a writer for more than two years please post.

IMHO 3 years is quite an eternity for an optical drive. I never had a single optical drive that lasted me even 2 years. And I am a light user.

Back