Watch Dogs - Discussion Thread

Watch dogs recommended specs are out.

• Recommended:
    • OS: Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1) or Windows 8 (Please note that we only support 64 bit OSs.)
    • Processor: Eight core - Intel Core i7-3770 @3.5 GHz or AMD FX-8350 X8 @ 4 GHz
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: DirectX 11 graphics card with 2 GB Video RAM - Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 ti or AMD Radeon HD 7850
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Hard Drive: 25 GB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card with Latest Drivers
    • Additional Notes: Broadband connection and service required for multiplayer mode. Supported Video Cards at Time of Release: nVidia GeForce GTX460 or better, GT500, GT600, GT700 series; AMD Radeon HD5850 or better, HD6000, HD7000, R7 and R9 series Intel® Iris™ Pro HD 5200
    Minimum:
    • OS: Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1) or Windows 8 (Please note that we only support 64 bit OSs.)
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66Ghz or AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.0Ghz
    • Memory: 6 GB RAM
    • Graphics: DirectX 11 graphics card with 1 GB Video RAM - Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 or AMD Radeon HD 5770
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Hard Drive: 25 GB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card with Latest Drivers
    • Additional Notes: Broadband connection and service required for multiplayer mode. Supported Video Cards at Time of Release: nVidia GeForce GTX460 or better, GT500, GT600, GT700 series; AMD Radeon HD5850 or better, HD6000, HD7000, R7 and R9 series Intel® Iris™ Pro HD 5200
Courtesy steam. http://store.steampowered.com/app/243470?snr=1_41_4__42

Watch Dogs resolution, frame rate on PS4 and Xbox One detailed
Watch Dogs will run at 30 frames per second on both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, with the PS4 version's resolution set at 900p and the Xbox One version's resolution coming in at 792p, publisher Ubisoft announced today.
The Xbox One resolution for Watch Dogs is identical to the Xbox One version of Titanfall, while the PS4 resolution matches that of the Xbox One version of Ubisoft's Trials Fusion.
"Resolution is a number, just like frame rate is a number. All those numbers are valid aspects of making games," said Jonathan Morin, Watch Dogs' creative director, in a post on the UbiBlog. "But you make choices about the experience you want to deliver."
In the case of Watch Dogs, Morin continued, the developers wanted to focus on maintaining a steady frame rate while delivering a dynamic, lively version of an open-world Chicago. That was always the chief goal, which is why the team hasn't been working on increasing the resolution or frame rate in the period between last October's delay announcement and the game's final release date of May 27.
"The effort was split on continuing dynamism and making sure players can express themselves through hacking without ever being disappointed in how the game responds to them, whether it's visually or through gameplay," Morin explained. "That's important. Resolution has nothing to do with that. That's why stuff like resolution can scale a bit down so that we never compromise the soul of Watch Dogs."
According to Ubisoft, Watch Dogs "also looks great on both generations of consoles." Chicago is less dense on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and while the seamless online experience is intact, a competitive multiplayer mode called Decryption and the ability to roam freely in multiplayer are both missing from the game on the old consoles.
For more on Watch Dogs, check out our recent hands-on preview, and watch the new nine-minute trailer above to get an overview of everything in the game.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/13/5714314/watch-dogs-resolution-frame-rate-ps4-xbox-one-101-trailer

In other news:

Watch Dogs Has 9 Special Editions

Watch Dogs is out soon on May 27. The reality of gaming today is that not only do gamers have to decide which platform to buy it on, they also have to decide which edition to get. In addition to the $60 standard edition, Watch Dogs has nine other special editions of varying prices and content.

Some of these are only available in certain territories. That at least clears up some of the confusion.

First there is the special edition which gives PlayStation players the White Hat pack here in North America. But there is also a special edition for Australia and New Zealand where the White Hat pack isn’t a PlayStation exclusive. It’s also the only edition that contains the Chicago South Club Pack.

Then there is a Vigilante Edition for Europe, the Middle East, Asia, and Australia that has its own content and packaging.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/13/watch-dogs-has-9-special-editions

The game is already available for download on torrent site from 24th may, but the release date is tomorrow. Anyone tried that?

Don't download the torrents just yet. The Skidrow release has a hidden bitcoin miner in it that can mess up your GPU and take up all the system resources.

I am all for legal copies and supporting the devs, but this particular release contains a security threat. Knowing many here will probably download the copy, sitting on the knowledge will just cause some kids to infect their systems. And if I know anything about non-working/infected download copies, it may result in some more people to buy it.

Waiting on review to decide if to buy or not. After "Thief" i have made it a rule to wait for reviews. Don't wanna pour money into something i will not play.

Waiting on review to decide if to buy or not. After "Thief" i have made it a rule to wait for reviews. Don't wanna pour money into something i will not play.
True that.. More than you, I should say that coz i bought thief and you dint, remember??

I donno you were having me in mind while posting this though :p

Reviews:

CVG[5] 9/10

Forget speculation about textures and framerates - Watch Dogs is a bona fide next-gen proposition with a wonderfully told tale at its heart.

Destructoid[6] 8/10

Impressive efforts with a few noticeable problems holding it back. Won't astound everyone, but is worth your time and cash. Check out more reviews or the Destructoid score guide.

Escapist[7] 4.5/5

While the controls are quite basic and a bit more limited than one might hope (exploding things only gets so varied), a significant sense of empowerment is hard to argue with, and the interface is so fluid that even a simpleton can feel like a master hacker. It feels cool, that's for damn sure.

Eurogamer[8] 7/10

It certainly entertains, but mostly through borrowed concepts, and the central notion that could have made it stand out - the hacking - is the most undercooked of all. It doesn't get anything horribly wrong, but nor does it excel at any of the genre beats it so faithfully bangs out. It's good, and yet that always feels like a criticism when a game comes weighed down by this much hype. You won't regret the time you spend in Aiden Pearce's world, but nor will it be saved as a precious memory when you reboot.

Joystiq[9] 4/5

These online invasions are arguably the smartest realization of what Watch Dogs is about: the fear of being violated, and the principle of identity protection. Even when it skews toward bigger actions and questionable bouts of busywork, though, Watch Dogs is a more fluid and modern power fantasy than we're used to.

Forbes[10] 8/10

Like Grand Theft Auto V before it, sometimes it’s not enough to simply be big and well-made. Watch Dogs feels like collection of promising concepts with nothing solid holding them together. Aiden Pearce should have been that something, but instead, he’s just a character meant to sell cool looking hats in collector’s editions. Perhaps that can be rectified in a sequel, but for now, Pearce is pretty big issue, and so is his propensity to kill people in boring, cover-based shooter-y ways.

Game Informer[11] 8.5/10

Watch Dog's story works as a basic revenge tale, and the final few missions provide some gravity to the characters. Ultimately, however, the main draw of any open-world game is the gameplay, and while not perfect, Watch Dog's hacking abilities add an engaging and unique twist to the third-person action. Ubisoft has another deserved hit on its hands, and I look forward to seeing where the new series goes next.

Gamereactor[12] 8/10

This is a cast we actually want to see more of. Despite the amalgamation of different franchises here, the IP is strong, the ideas and execution good. Oh, and its use of licensed music, particularly at key moments, betters even GTAV. You should play - or just watch - the game for the Wu-Tang Clan sequence alone.

GameSpot[13] 8/10

Aiden's soul is still locked away, too, even though I spent dozens of hours with him. But while I can't say who Aiden truly is, I can confidently say that Watch Dogs is a lushly produced and riotous game with an uncanny ability to push you from one task to the next, each of which is just as fun as the last.

GameTrailers[14] 8.9/10

Visuals aside, Watch Dogs has a remarkably well crafted world that feels lively and believable. Aside from overtly hacking someone, you can constantly listen in on conversations just as you walk down the street. You'll see random car accidents, guys looking like idiots playing games on their phone, dudes rapping, or even urinating on the sidewalk. And if you pull out a gun, people will run for their lives.

GiantBomb[15] 3/5

Even though I feel its story is often weak and its action isn't that different from other games in the genre, I still enjoyed my time with Watch Dogs. It turns out that the old stuff still works, and the strong-but-standard mission design kept me entertained, most of the time. It's rough around the edges, though, so if you don't settle for anything less than the best, you'll probably be disappointed.

IGN[16] 8.4/10

One-button hacking might be overly simplistic, but it does give you abilities that make playing through Aiden’s story feel powerful and fun. Doing side missions and multiplayer as you make your way through the dark and lengthy story makes it feel like a huge adventure, and stealth options let you play smart if you prefer. Car chases aside, Watch Dogs is fundamentally very well made, and has more than enough unique ideas to make it a great and memorable open-world action game.

Metro[17] 7/10

A highly enjoyable GTA clone but one that doesn’t quite have the panache of Rockstar’s best or the inspiration to make the most of its otherwise enjoyable gameplay concepts.

Polygon[18] 8/10

Other games have nailed a better balance in optional activities and large-scale ambiance, including other games from Ubisoft Montreal itself. But when Watch Dogs focuses on the things it does better than anyone else, it finds an identity worth developing. As a hybrid open-world stealth-action game, it’s in a class by itself.

USGamer[19] 5/5

Watch_Dogs combines an astonishingly detailed world, a gripping storyline, creative game mechanics, a myriad of missions and activities, and improvisational tactical sandbox gameplay to create a truly next-generation open world game. Phenomenal. No other word for it.\

VideoGamer[20] 7/10

It's a game that reaches a baseline of enjoyment – and that baseline is fairly high – and doesn't raise it further. The mission loop is too samey – drive here, hack a few things, sneak/shoot out – and multiplayer is too throwaway to really affect much. You'll undoubtedly enjoy your time with it, but it won't linger long in the memory.

Not like GTA V, but still not bad I would say.

True that.. More than you, I should say that coz i bought thief and you dint, remember??
I donno you were having me in mind while posting this though :p
I had told u before i was a Thief fanboy and was waiting patiently to get it and didnt. But u bought it even after i told u it was bad :p
And from reviews it is given about 8 ... not bad. But lot of people complaining about lowering the graphics quality.

Just downloaded it on origin this morning haven't had a chance to play. I pre-ordered it for just Rs. 1500. Sweet deal! :)

I hear lots of people are facing issues with Uplay and AMD graphics cards.

AMD has released a new beta driver which will address those. Uplay issues are yet to be fixed, Ubi says they're working on it.

You can track the issue here -
https://twitter.com/watchdogsgame

I played it for an hour or so. Not really impressed. For one the intentional screen stretching (similar to AC but used too often) during the story elements made me thing the game was bugging out or something. Then there is the pitfall of drive, hack and shoot your way out got a bit boring.

So I guess i made the right choice by sticking onto getting witcher 2 enhanced edition (i dint play it completely before as I dint get the full version. Downloaded the ahem version to check how the game fairs) for the sweet 80% off price rather than watchdogs :p[DOUBLEPOST=1401345371][/DOUBLEPOST]
I played it for an hour or so. Not really impressed. For one the intentional screen stretching (similar to AC but used too often) during the story elements made me thing the game was bugging out or something. Then there is the pitfall of drive, hack and shoot your way out got a bit boring.
You might want to give it an hr more and see how the story is progressing.

I am loving this game. It's not GTA level, but it's lovely. Just wish this was optimized for my bloody PC, yeah I know it's old. Had to turn down some graphic settings to make it run at 40 frames on average :(

Back