Wave v/s Wildfire v/s ?

red_devil

Disciple
I've been thinking about buying a phone for a long time now. Was stuck up on ANDROID (still am). So when I read on GSMARENA that HTC WILDFIRE was available in India for around 16k I was super curious :eek:hyeah:

Then I looked at the specs of Wildfire - seemed decent enough (procy, cam - decent at best) plus there are reports of it getting FROYO sometime later {perhaps by the time the world has moved on to 3.x :p}

Then again I looked at WAVE. Costs ~17k has a 1gig procy, super AMOLED et etc... Only con was BADA ... but thats likely to change IF Android gets ported to Wave

Now I'm confused. Which one is a better buy /VFM?

Or are there any other Android devices available/expected sometime soon in that segment?

All you could do with the Wave is just ogle at the amazing screen and maybe watch video's and stuff, the irritatingly low ram is a major negative point.

There is a video of gsm arena's review of the wave on youtube and one shocking revelation is that the wave has so little ram that it automatically shuts down random widgets on its own, one moment you have your email widget and boom, the next second its gone without a trace! I ll post the link to that if I get it.

Even with the lower resolution atleast 90% of the apps will work on the wildfire, plus you get all the godless that is android along with the amazing sense UI. Only if you keep comparing your phone with an AMOLED phone will you notice the difference, otherwise a 16M colour screen is not bad at all.

^^ Please post that video.
Anyway, these are just few bugs which should be sorted out with firmware upgrades. The widgets only close down sometimes when you are running multiple applications at a same time. Samsung has already started releasing firmware updates for the wave :)

^ Hey can you please post some close up shots of the screen ??

Im also in the same situation, Wave vs Wildfire.

But will be selling my 4 month old Spica first.

Also how much did you get it for? and from where?

red_devil said:
ok guys i gave in... bought Wildfire today and all the talk about the screen res and stuff is pretty exaggerated. The screen looks decent enough for me.
Congrats, I saw a friend's wildfire and its really good, possibly looks like a Desire Mini! :D

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

arpan said:
^^ Please post that video.

Anyway, these are just few bugs which should be sorted out with firmware upgrades. The widgets only close down sometimes when you are running multiple applications at a same time. Samsung has already started releasing firmware updates for the wave :)
YouTube - Samsung S8500 Wave review - part 1 of 2

There is the video, towards the last part, (13 mins and onwards) the guy says 3 of the connected widgets (twitter, myspace) got shut down automatically due to a lack of memory!

i'm also considering to buy either wave or wildfire bt i'm terribly confused.. :(
i've heard tht finding apps for wave is a pain in the a**... while even if d wildfire has low resolution, v cn gt decent apps frm d andriod market...

wt say guyz??

ViKiD said:
PIcchaaaasss!

Buddy I've just realized that my photography skills are pathetic...the pics I took turned out so bad that I dare not post it over here or any other place :(
faraaz_bh said:
i'm also considering to buy either wave or wildfire bt i'm terribly confused.. :(

i've heard tht finding apps for wave is a pain in the a**... while even if d wildfire has low resolution, v cn gt decent apps frm d andriod market...

wt say guyz??

Yeah I had the exact confusion. I chose Wildfire over WAVE 'cos:

1. BADA will get good apps in due course of time but by then there might be better hardware coming up ...

2. With Samsung you never know... tomorrow they may come up with some whole new OS --some kind of BADA alternative and before you know it, BADA is forgotten...
mk1185 said:
i heard that may be bada will be discontineued...and froyo updates for wildfire will be launched around december?

ViKiD said:
Where did you hear that Bada is getting discontinued?

Also i couldn't find more references to Froyo being released for Wildfire....

I'm not sure about BADA getting discontinued but I've read that Wildfire will get FROYO sometime later

HTC: expect Desire, Legend and Wildfire to get Froyo 'beginning in Q3' -- Engadget

Back