CPU/Mobo Weird problem | EDIT : Solved

vyral_143

Jarvis
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi all,

I m facing a weird issue with my system from 2-3 days. Anytime while operating the system, display will be shut. My dell monitor will say 'Entering in power saver mode'. But application would be running in behind. I confirmed this when I was watching a movie on VLC PLayer and could hear dialogues but screen went off. After some time (ranging from 10 seconds above) system crashes. Sometimes it restarts automatically some time manually I have to long press power button to shut it down - I m assuming it does not shut down because front blue LED lights in my cabinet still remain ON, Keyboard - Mouse remain powered.

I have observed this in multiple different instances. Once while watching movie, while playing CS online, while system was idle, while browsing. Win 7 is on SSD.

I m not able to figure out what would be at root-cause.

My configuration is as follows:
955BE at stock with CM Hyper 212 EVO
Gigabyte 880GM-USB3
Corsair Vengeance 2*4GB
Seasonic S12 II 620
Sapphire HD6950 2GB - unlocked to HD6970 by sliding BIOS switch
Kingston V100 64GB SSD - broken power port plastic holder but using it by inserting that broken holder in to a SATA cable and plugging it
Western Digital 2TB Red
Dell ST2220L

Can you check the event logs around the time the system goes into that power saving mode and crashes? It should point out what is making the system unstable.

Some SSDs are known to have strange issues and cause BSODs/crashes. My OCZ vertex drives have that known issue where out of the blue the system will BSOD and tends to happen once at least in two days. You can check if your SSD has any known issues..

Can you check the event logs around the time the system goes into that power saving mode and crashes? It should point out what is making the system unstable.

Checked the event log of last Sunday evening when I was playing CS online via Hamachi and system crashed. I have attached screenshot of same. Event entry is just after system is restarted.

Event_Log.jpg[DOUBLEPOST=1378389141][/DOUBLEPOST]
Some SSDs are known to have strange issues and cause BSODs/crashes. My OCZ vertex drives have that known issue where out of the blue the system will BSOD and tends to happen once at least in two days. You can check if your SSD has any known issues..

This one is/was running fine. But issue I m facing is from last few days only.

I suspect the GPU - eun at normally like any other HD6950, if you face the issue again remove it and try with onboard graphics of the motherboard.

Will checkout that too. However one strange thing, after posting it here it have not crashed even once.

Here it hits me again, twice, from tomorrow night. Changed BIOS Switch of HD6950 to default and again its same issue. All the fans are spinning very good but no display. Also I noticed one more thing while trying to switch toanother DVI port on GFX Card - in case in one which I had plugged cable have gone bad - there were little sparks while metal part of cable and port were in contact.

As of now I have removed the GFX Card and operating from IGP HD4250 since morning without any hiccups . So my HD 6950 might be at fault. Should PCI E slot of mobo also to be included in doubt ?

Also how is RMA service of Sapphire ? Is their any luck in getting a HD7xxx series card in RMA?

Any way I can check my PCI E slot with some software/tool ? I have access to few friends system but their SMPS will not support HD6950, hence I can not test my card on their system. Nor anyone of have discrete GFX Card which I can plug in to mine and check.

I m in doubt who is culprit, weather it is PCI E slot on mobo or GFX card ?

there's no software which can test pci-e slot functionality without a pci-e card installed - only way for you is to submit the gpu / motherboard for RMA.

Yesterday I took my SMPS and my card to my friend's place. For strange reason when trying to boot his system, powered with my SMPS, fan of SMPS wont spin nor system would power on. We changed the power cord too. However with both cords his system would boot with his SMPS (Seasonic 400W Eco series). I had not connected any other thing to system, even HDD. I gave up after couple of hours and returned home.

Today morning when re-assembling my rig, I could not get display output from mobo. Tried all 3 outputs of mobo, VGA/DVI/HDMI,but no luck. connected it to laptop wth VGA and voila. So it was RAM now. 1 RAM slot have went kaput. So time to RMA mobo. :dead:

Update:
Been to Gigabyte service center managed by Accel. First went to old service center in Tardeo from there I was directed to Leamington Road one, near Swastik Cinema. Scenario there reminded me nightmares of Asus by Rashi, those long line/wait times, 'state-of-art' infra. Talked to a guy, waiting for his turn, he said he was there since 2 in afternoon and at 3.50 his turn was still 6 more ahead of him. Since I do not have 3-4 hours to wait, I returned :(

God save Indians from pathetic After Sales Service.

had a similar experience with accel .. had to wait for 2 hours and 20 mins to submit a HDD [ no rewards for guessing it's from which manufacturer ] :D

[ no rewards for guessing it's from which manufacturer ] :D
Earlier Accel's Seagate center n Gigabyte center were on two different floors of same building. At that time Gigabyte service was very good and Seagate used to have long lines. Almost in an hour one used to get another repaired mobo. Now they have shifted to new place - only Gigabyte center.

Anybody from Mumbai have experience of center located at Andheri ?

One more doubt

Following is combination of my Motherboard and PSU history
December 2007 - Asus G31 chipset + Core2Duo 2.33GHz + generic power supply
upgraded Mother board, graphic card and power supply
April 2008 - Asus P5K + Core2Duo 2.33GHz + Cooler Master 360W
upgraded power supply to Corsair VX450 in second half of 2008
September 2009 - Asus P5K died in 16 months, got P5Q + Core2Duo 2.33GHz + Corsair VX450
October 2010 - Asus P5Q died in 13 months, got Gigabyte G41 Combo + Core2Duo 2.33GHz + Corsair VX450
December 2011 - Gigabyte G41 died
January 2012 - upgraded to Gigabyte 880GM-USB3 + AMD Phenom 955BE + Seasonic S12 II 620
October 2013 - Gigabyte board died in 20 months approx

Why any mother board does not last me more than a year and half ? Am I making wrong choices or some wrong combo ?

Update: I could test my graphic card on my brothers friend setup. It was working perfect there, however whenever I put it in my system, no display. Hence motherboard is culprit here.

To claim warranty, my brother headed for service center at Lamington Road today morning. To his shock, a notice on paper was put up that it will be shut today but it was open with people doing time-pass. Despite requesting them that he have came after commute of close to 2 hours they dint budge and asked him to go to Andheri service center. But before going he called up there. He was told that it would take minimum a month for RMA which is awful in terms of time required though lady on phone talked nicely and answered all queries. Now only thing we are not aware of is process time required at Lemington Road service center. In no ways I can shut my desktop for a month or more with exams and placements coming in next 2-3 months of time-frame.

I m confused right now on following course of actions
Case 1: I buy a decent AMD non-Gigabyte mobo and carry on my life with my regular needs like desktop processing, HD movies and gaming. Sell off this one when it returns from RMA.
Case 2: I get a PS3 for gaming for around 15K by selling of 1 stick of 4GB RAM, HD6950 and downgrading my PSU to lower capacity one. I continue using current setup for other regular work after I get this mobo from RMA.
Case 3: I get a pre-built low power desktop and a PS3 after selling of my current rig except the hard drive.

Are you using a UPS with your computer?
If no, maybe running the comp off the mains might be causing the system to die prematurely. Or it could be just bad luck.

About your confusion, don't change your psu or downgrade it. From vx450 onwards you have used good psu choices.
Go ahead with option 1.

Back