Storage Solutions Western Digital Issues, RMA problems, Service deficiency Thread.

Ok guys this post is in reference to this thread / post of mine.
My external NESO 320GB HDD which has hitachi written over it has actually a 2.5" western digital scorpio blue HDD inside.
At this point i have dismantled the external HDD and removed the WD hard disk. On punching the serial number on WD website, i get "out of region"
Now how good are the chances of RMA of this in India. The drive was bought in China but i dont intend to tell them that.
The date on drive is 22 apr 2009 so if the HDD is supposed to have 3 years warranty then i guess it does exists now too.
Please clarify.
Will call the WD help desk tomorrow.

Ok so tried my luck with western digital and they took my RMA request on phone and provided me with a RMA number.

They told that they will come to pick up the drive on 29th april.

They said i need to pack my drive in a Electrostatic discharge bag (ESD), wrap a bubble wrap around it and put it in a cardboard box and write RMA number on three sides of box and handover it to the courier guy.

Can anyone tell me what this electrostatic discharge bag is ?? I have absolutely no clue :S

^^ Oh Oh :ashamed:

Now where will i get this ???

I dont even know any computer shop near my home :(

^^In what type of shops can i get this thing ??

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Is it necessary to give HDD back in the way they have suggested ?

I have a seagate go flex box with me and i plan to use that to give them the HDD back. Is it ok ??

Found that deviating from their packaging standard will void the warranty and they wont accept the drive from RMA :(

Will have to find the stuff in my area.

Ok so got everything, ESD Bag, bubble wrap and box too all in my office. Now will package the drive tomorrow :)

Got 1.5TB External drive in place of 500gb My book. As warranty was getting expired on 12th February, the new one which I got has warranty till 2014:eek:hyeah:

^^ I dont think i will have any luck like that since mine is a 320 GB scorpio blue internal laptop HDD and that thing is probably still available, not sure though.

raksrules said:
^^ I dont think i will have any luck like that since mine is a 320 GB scorpio blue internal laptop HDD and that thing is probably still available, not sure though.
Very much available. Your replacement could be the WD3200BEVT - a refurb mostly. My 500GB netbook drive had to be replaced sometime back and the replacement although the same drive (5000BEVT), it turned out to be a refurb.

No problems though.

^^Refurbished ?? :O

Dont you think the HDDs that WD must have refurbished/repaired must have had some sort of hardware failure and in that case how did they repair them ??

I am expecting a new HDD but if it is refurb, how will i come to know, some old back dated manufacturing date ??

@raksrules

They do work fine usually ..... Since yours is a internal HDD u may need to pack as they tell , mine was external drive so i just put in a cloth ...put it in a tight box stuffed it so hdd doesnt have much space to move around . i sent my drive once got it back in 25 days , i had a 500 gb external My passport or something .... they said they dont have dat in stock and provided me a Passport Elite 500 gb , i plugged it in got detected , kept files for transfer and alas it started at 100mbps went down to 500 kbps in arnd 20 seconds and then stopped copying for large files , i again rmaed it and got it in 1 month :mad:

The drive i recieved is same in color.. Its working fine without any issues for around 9 months(*Touchwood :D *).

Oops!!! i didn't use the ESD packing, but packed it nice though, will there be any problem. My HDD had multiple SMART error including bad sector, What is the chance of getting a new one??

My HDD did not give me SMART error but the WD tool when run in normal mode (not extended) gave some error which i dont recollect. Did not bother the extended run as it was going to take ages to complete.

How do these WD people ascertain whether the HDD ACTUALLY has some fault ?

raksrules said:
^^Refurbished ?? :O

Dont you think the HDDs that WD must have refurbished/repaired must have had some sort of hardware failure and in that case how did they repair them ??

I am expecting a new HDD but if it is refurb, how will i come to know, some old back dated manufacturing date ??
LOL why are you surprised! :p

This has been the case since a while now. Refurbs are very common and will be mentioned explicitly in the sticker.

Seagate mentions it as 'Certified Repaired'. Don't recall how WD mentions it. It works fine though.

Guys, no one came to pick the HDD on friday as was assured by WD customer care. I called up bluedart too and they told they have no pickup request. The WD CC told me about the bluedart TO-PAY service where i can submit my drive to bluedart and without paying money they will send the drive. I asked bluedart and they told they need a mail from WD for me to avail this service. What should i do now ??
How to ensure that WD guy comes soon to pickup the HDD. Could not contact them over the weekend as CC was closed.

Gannu said:
LOL why are you surprised! :p

This has been the case since a while now. Refurbs are very common and will be mentioned explicitly in the sticker.

Seagate mentions it as 'Certified Repaired'. Don't recall how WD mentions it. It works fine though.
You see i have never ever done HDD RMA and whenever i read any thread about it, i always read people getting new and higher capacity HDD, so i though that they always get new. :)

^^try afl courierm, they usually pick up using afl courier, contact the local afl courier guys. Also call WD CC and ask if it is OK to send via afl courier??

raksrules said:
Guys, no one came to pick the HDD on friday as was assured by WD customer care. I called up bluedart too and they told they have no pickup request. The WD CC told me about the bluedart TO-PAY service where i can submit my drive to bluedart and without paying money they will send the drive. I asked bluedart and they told they need a mail from WD for me to avail this service. What should i do now ??
How to ensure that WD guy comes soon to pickup the HDD. Could not contact them over the weekend as CC was closed.

You see i have never ever done HDD RMA and whenever i read any thread about it, i always read people getting new and higher capacity HDD, so i though that they always get new. :)
Relax man, those delays are normal. For eg. my pick up date was assigned on 29th March, HDD got picked up on 12 April (or may be 13 iirc). I asked the AFL guy about the delay and he said they got email from WD regarding the pick up only on the 11th April, and here he was the next day to pick up the HDD. I had also mailed WD regarding the delay and they said they were shifting their warehouse and hence the delay in pick up.

^^Yes that WD guy told me that many customers were complaining about the delay in pickup and hence they started this TO-PAY serivice. Also the CC number that we call have no clue about the actual RMA department stuff as they only give RMA number and dont respond much. I had specifically requested them for bluedart since their office is near to my office (pickup point) and also bluedart guy comes to my office twice a day for courier delivery.

I will ask AFL too as you said. I never knew they may delay so much, as it happened in that case.

raksrules said:
^^Yes that WD guy told me that many customers were complaining about the delay in pickup and hence they started this TO-PAY serivice. Also the CC number that we call have no clue about the actual RMA department stuff as they only give RMA number and dont respond much. I had specifically requested them for bluedart since their office is near to my office (pickup point) and also bluedart guy comes to my office twice a day for courier delivery.

I will ask AFL too as you said. I never knew they may delay so much, as it happened in that case.
Well i didnt find their CC very helpful. Whatever useful replies i got was from the emails i sent them. Wasnt in a hurry regarding my drive so decided to wait it out. But unless and until these courier companies get an email from WD, they wont come for the pick up or entertain any requests from our side. So the new TO-PAY service does seem more helpful.

Try sending an email to them as well about the whole thing, response is prompt.

Guyz, i had a really good experience with the WD rma service!

I had the defective drive picked up on 27th from Mumbai, via their Pick up sevice! And i had it shipped today :D Woohoo!

WD RMA Rox! This was my first wd rma and am supersatisfied!

Any idea if it is repaired one or a brand new one?? because i too have sent one for RMA

EDIT : i shipped my hdd last saturday via afl courier , they just mailed me that they have received my hdd. Now waiting for them to ship a new one :)

Back