What is the average demography of TE members?

How old are you?

• 10-15

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 16-20

Votes: 14 4.7%
  • 21-25

Votes: 63 21.4%
  • 26-30

Votes: 59 20.0%
  • 31-35

Votes: 75 25.4%
  • 36-40

Votes: 41 13.9%
  • 41-50

Votes: 30 10.2%
  • 50+

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • 0-10

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters
Does anyone remember "Hiren's Boot CD"? Don't know what thing did but it would I think fix broken windows xp or so I think.
Yes, it was used to repair Broken Windows XP installation, it used to replace the broken files.
How I used to love Win-XP - I can almost remember the serial code on my tip of the tongue. Used to install it more than 10-12 times a day.
Edit- I just remembered
XP8BF-f8hpf-py6bx-k24pj-twt6m

Does anyone remember "Hiren's Boot CD"? Don't know what thing did but it would I think fix broken windows xp or so I think.
more like "signature CD" ?
It had few version of DOS, windows NT, 95 & 98, and many small useful utilities.
It was like a Swiss-knife and used mostly to boot to DOS and troubleshoot windows issues and get almost all software one need in those days.

Nehru place is flashing in front of my eyes as i type this...

Yes, it was used to repair Broken Windows XP installation, it used to replace the broken files.
How I used to love Win-XP - I can almost remember the serial code on my tip of the tongue. Used to install it more than 10-12 times a day.
Edit- I just remembered
I was so much fascinated after acquiring windows 98 cd from pc engineer that just for timepass I used to install windows almost everyday for fun!
I was the king /guru of my group back then...had all such cds at that time..I used to purchase original games back then in late 90s early 2000s and once tasted torrents it was no looking back..
It is updated and also has for win 10..
Totally agree with this.
Getting digit magazines and the free software CDs which came with it was like a dream coming true.
& later only the mags had value while dvds were simply stashed with shit!
Those days, used to boot windows xp cds with nero(not sure of the name) and would write the key on the cd and had a whole lot of other DVDs for games, photos, everything. Sony probably made more money selling CD's and DVDs than with their mobiles in India.
Sony cds were shamed as they were not readable on samsung cd rom combo drive etc..
Does anyone even remembers combo drives?

Last edited:
Edit- I just remembered
i still remembered it as well- FCKGW RHQQ2 YXRKT 8TG6W 2B7Q8
it was like, baap ka, dada ka, bhai ka... sabka windows repair aur reinstall karega tera faizal.

still have XP in VM for feel good factor, and play some really old game.
this is amazing source for someone if still want to test XP - https://xpforever.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page

i still remembered it as well- FCKGW RHQQ2 YXRKT 8TG6W 2B7Q8

it was like, baap ka, dada ka, bhai ka... sabka windows repair aur reinstall karega tera faizal.
My college name was virus before 3 idiots happened.
123.jpeg

Just good old days.

Also what's up with Win XP hate XD

It was the most reliable OS for me (altho just basic computing, nothing heavy could be done anyway on a Pentium D lol), and didn't have any OS issues till the day the motherboard died and we upgraded to a new PC with Win 8.

Then again that XP PC was a pre-built Lenovo (whose 250W ATX PSU I still have as a backup one, and was doing duty in my 2200G build for a year), so maybe the problems were for PC builders then?

Hate? I still love it.
Want to play Quake III - arena death-match, in dm-17 map ? ;)

View attachment 114780
I played Q3A DM17 at the start of lockdown with a few friends and cousins via Hamachi. Ping was terrible for the non Indian participants but was crazy fun.
Also what's up with Win XP hate XD
The responsiveness on a freshly installed XP system was unmatched.

Its reliability was a nightmare. One wrong shutdown and it would crap itself. I probably reinstalled XP on my personal PC more times than I have collectively installed any other OS on the numerous machines I've reformatted.

One of the biggest culprits of killing XP was LIMEWIRE!
Who remembers this beautiful but deadly software? :cool: :sob: :banghead:

Attachments

• limewire-icon-kuc02upegyl8h2io-c.png
    limewire-icon-kuc02upegyl8h2io-c.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
I played Q3A DM17 at the start of lockdown with a few friends and cousins via Hamachi. Ping was terrible for the non Indian participants but was crazy fun.

The responsiveness on a freshly installed XP system was unmatched.

It's reliability was a nightmare. One wrong shutdown and it would crap itself. I probably reinstalled XP on my personal PC more times than I have collectively installed any other OS on the numerous machines I've reformatted.

One of the biggest culprits of killing XP was LIMEWIRE!
Who remembers this beautiful but deadly software? :cool: :sob: :banghead:

View attachment 114781
There were many popular p2ps like imesh, kazaa, limetorrent etc.
XP was the best os imo even great than 10.
No bugs crap or shit no non-sense os..
Also, do anyone remember DC++

XP was the best os imo even great than 10.
No bugs crap or shit no non-sense os..
Yup our Local WAN for file sharing, Used to work on our Local SSV-Ion Internet too.

Actually Napster was one of the first P2P apps. They then had piracy or some similar issues and had to stop/change.

DC++ / ODC was amazing, download at 10 MB/s back in the day! Sadly, it made the local cable operators lives a nightmare as equipment would go absolutely crazy due to the sheer traffic, requiring a physical restart.

Last edited:
My first PC was dual boot win98 and winXP. Got after my 10th.

Kept win98 for few years because games ran faster than winXP. Used to purchase set of 100s sony writable dvds to keep stuff. I have 100s of dvds lying today with filled with movies and software. What can be done about them?

I used to read windows XP help document for fun. :p discovered so many features which microsoft shamelessly threw out later. It was last OS which you could use without mouse, it was that predictable. I got 10gb worth of software from the shop I purchased the computer. Learnt 3ds max, photoshop, turbo c and other things by just following help documents. CPU fan spinning out of control was first indication that you got virus. Systems were so predictable back then that you could actually get rid of the virus by just using task manager and explorer. I learnt back then that 99.99% hacks or virus are using "conveniences" made by microsoft and not exploiting some unpatched security hole. I myself used some of these "conveniences" like autorun to write an infected dvds to guys who were not nice to me. Back then I kept backup of different viruses for different use. :sweatsmile:

Many things changed in software/hardware industry from back then.
Software were damn reliable. I came across term 'bugs' very late. There was no beta version.
Accessibility of UI has reduced significantly. User accessibility was something they taught in engineering. Now everything is flat, it's okay to have explorer to waste 80% of big ass monitor with nothing but white space. Different UI elements use same colour making it hard to differentiate between them. Zomato looks like it was inspired from notepad.
Art of beautiful and readable documentation is lost to the time.
Hardware became more unreliable. I think, gaming peripherals like motherboards are expensive primarily because they include a cost of an RMA.

Last edited:
Back then I kept backup of different viruses for different use. :sweatsmile:
I still pet few deadly viruses and I even have ransomware infection somewhere I forgot about! Actually lost traces of all these digital deadly pets..dont know on which dvd/hdd or pen drive they are residing now.. But they were stored behind multiple levels of rar and ace hash passwords so they are not detectable by any strong avs nor easy to unzip as well.

Back