What is the average demography of TE members?

How old are you?

• 10-15

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 16-20

Votes: 14 4.7%
  • 21-25

Votes: 63 21.4%
  • 26-30

Votes: 59 20.0%
  • 31-35

Votes: 75 25.4%
  • 36-40

Votes: 41 13.9%
  • 41-50

Votes: 30 10.2%
  • 50+

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • 0-10

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters
I would recommend making votes private because otherwise it can lead to people being targeted based on their age, plus I'm not sure about legality of having categories for the age groups for 15 and below. Also with this info scammers can join and target specific members. Yes we're all tech savvy here but better to take precautions than actions :)
You have a point- made it private.

I naively thought it would be nice to put an age factor to members I've been seeing for so long. Double sided I suppose.

Why is there no 0 - 10 age group? Kids nowadays are highly techsavy.:rolleyes:

Yes, that's the worse epidemic the world is going through right now.

This has turned into such a wonderful thread. I read all the posts more than once...feels like from another life.
It was possibly in 2003, the hospital I was doing my post graduation from had only 1 computer in the entire medicine department with internet (there was supposed to be an IT guy , whom I never saw near the computer, he was always busy trafficking free sarkari beds for money openly)used the Hiren's boot CD hundreds of times when it didn't boot.
Was awarded with " no evening rounds" for months due to the "community service".

So, almost 70% members are millennials including me (I'm 32). That goes along with my experience in the real world. Generation born after 1995 aren't into computers that much. Kids nowadays aren't tech-savvy. You can call them app-savvy. Engineers graduated from computer stream today are hardly any capable of building a computer.

I think it was the struggle, which made us into computer nerds. There was no easy access to latest and greatest hardware parts. We had to make do with what we got. Today, that's not the case. If a battery goes bad in a laptop, parents have new laptop ready even before their kids can complain. I think struggle is an important factor to consider if someone wants their kids don't grow up to be dumb. I don't think there would be any Indian CEOs ruling the tech industry if the life was easy for them.

Kids today are forgetting traditional Indian values like torrenting, reinstalling windows. Still, there are exceptions. Today, when I share a magnet link with someone young and instead of complaining 'it doesn't open', if they say thanks, that brings tears to my eyes.

Kids today are forgetting traditional Indian values like torrenting, reinstalling windows. Still, there are exceptions. Today, when I share a magnet link with someone young and instead of complaining 'it doesn't open', if they say thanks, that brings tears to my eyes.
Glad to know I am hoisting the flag of Indian tradition high and mighty XD
This is one of the few Indian traditions I can get behind :D

I think it was the struggle, which made us into computer nerds. There was no easy access to latest and greatest hardware parts. We had to make do with what we got. Today, that's not the case. If a battery goes bad in a laptop, parents have new laptop ready even before their kids can complain. I think struggle is an important factor to consider if someone wants their kids don't grow up to be dumb. I don't think there would be any Indian CEOs ruling the tech industry if the life was easy for them.
This rings so true to me. So eager to get the next copy of Digit, Skoar, PC Quest etc etc. Used to grab 6 months worth of back issues for 300rs atlogether. Drooling over all that tech goodness, re-reading the crap out of those magazines, delicately using limited bandwidth 56k dial-up to learn stuff that I still remember today and simply absorbing and putting all that information to use in the real world with aimless and fun projects. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be the DIYer, tinkerer and sastha-hunter I am today if it weren't for being part of that age.

This rings so true to me. So eager to get the next copy of Digit, Skoar, PC Quest etc etc. Used to grab 6 months worth of back issues for 300rs atlogether. Drooling over all that tech goodness, re-reading the crap out of those magazines, delicately using limited bandwidth 56k dial-up to learn stuff that I still remember today and simply absorbing and putting all that information to use in the real world with aimless and fun projects. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be the DIYer, tinkerer and sastha-hunter I am today if it weren't for being part of that age.
People think the GPU market today is bad, back in the day everything was crazy expensive compared to the US. As for modding and DIY stuff, that was simply not available, period. I remember going to Lamington road and never being able to find the cool stuff we would see online. There used to be this site called MetkuMods, it was a very cool but depressing (for us in India)..looking at all the cool stuff guys in the west had that we simply could not even buy (even if we had the money). I was fortunate to have my close friend move to the US while we were in school, once in a while he would send me a few things and man, that used to make my year!

I think it was the struggle, which made us into computer nerds.
I happily remember installing Winxp with no service pack a gazzilion times and the dreaded 10 second auto shutdown virus which made my life miserable. That was also the first time I learnt the "F Y" word and I used it endlessly against Bill Gates.
Despite physically having a pc, functionally it was absent.
Still have windows 98SE (1st OS) cd and upwards upto win 7.

Totally agree with this.
Getting digit magazines and the free software CDs which came with it was like a dream coming true.
Man, I was crazy for those game trailers, gameplay videos and trial/demo software in those CDs!

One simply does not get such pleasure in this 4g/5g era where there is no such thing as 'downloading' trailers. Today I have to weed out unnecessary/irritating autoplay videos instead!

I happily remember installing Winxp with no service pack a gazzilion times and the dreaded 10 second auto shutdown virus which made my life miserable. That was also the first time I learnt the "F Y" word and I used it endlessly against Bill Gates.
Despite physically having a pc, functionally it was absent.
Still have windows 98SE (1st OS) cd and upwards upto win 7.
Computer is slow? Virus in your system? Installed a new software that crashes your system? - One solution: Dedicate a nice weekend to pop in that Win XP CD and format the hell out of your PC. Good ól days!

Have forgot the countless times I became over-ambitious and installed higher end graphics drivers hoping to get minor additional juice out of my cranking box just to crash my system all over! Only to bring out the Win Xp disc and stare at those balmy light blue installation screens again :-D

Was lurking tech forums 15 years ago. Still doing the same! Bloody loser who's gonna be 34 come next month! F me dead.
PS: The votes should have been public.

Oh man. Win XP was such a PITA. I used to have Windows XP keys freakin' memorized because we were installing it like every weekend during college. The 'digit' phase lasted for less than a year for me, because I got introduced to computers pretty late, around 2005,just as I was finishing 12th. Then I assembled a PC of my choice by using 'digit' reviews and then took it with me to college where thankfully we had 2Mbps speeds. After that it was all Google baba and then I stumbled upon TE and came to know how I had been looted assembling my PC. Still, it was the most powerful PC in my whole college all through my degree and that was somewhat comforting, even though I had overpaid for it.

Screenshot_20210916-004013_Gallery.jpg

Those days, used to boot windows xp cds with nero(not sure of the name) and would write the key on the cd and had a whole lot of other DVDs for games, photos, everything. Sony probably made more money selling CD's and DVDs than with their mobiles in India.

Man I remember Nero and RealPlayer back in the day - I destroyed a small bunch of CDs trying to learn how to burn stuff on them, but RealPlayer was a real treat - they used to advertise themselves on youtube as a video or audio downloader I think, and that was one of the first plugins I installed back in the days when Chrome logo was still 3D instead of flat.
Also contrary to views here, I remember Windows XP as the best OS I have used so far, but I may be biased since that was my first computer :p

Back