What is the reason Indians call others Sir, Madam or Saheb etc?

This is so confusing!! So why are these trans people forcing others to call them by their pronouns and why do they fight back or do a witch hunt against people who don't want to call them by their preferred pronouns? Isn't it their (the trans person's) problem in the first place? If they want to be included and called whatever they want to be called why are they excluding people who don't care about that bs?
Why do you think this was a witch hunt? He was suspended for disorderly conduct.

And why do you have problem with trans people in the first place? What do you mean by people who care about don't their bs? This teacher was specifically causing ruckus. That's like the opposite of not caring.

And what trans bs do you think is there? I thought this forum was for geeks and nerds. Maybe find information about transgender people. From reputed sources that is. Not from Faux News or Trump fanatics.

Why do you think this was a witch hunt? He was suspended for disorderly conduct.

And why do you have problem with trans people in the first place? What do you mean by people who care about don't their bs? This teacher was specifically causing ruckus. That's like the opposite of not caring.

And what trans bs do you think is there? I thought this forum was for geeks and nerds. Maybe find information about transgender people. From reputed sources that is. Not from Faux News or Trump fanatics.
I have realized over time that its somehow the nerds who are often most susceptible to such propaganda.. I have some theories about how this came to be - but that would be a major digression :lol

I don't have a problem addressing people how they want to be addressed, as long as they let me know in advance (like they do on LinkedIn) or during our first meeting.

If someone stars calling me (I'm male) as "Miss/ Ms. letmein", or "letmin Ma'am/ Madam", and refuse to correct themselves even after I tell them, I'd get pissed. So I can see where a lot of these "woke" people are coming from.

I'm talking about people forcing their views on others. Think about it from both the sides instead of just one side. The person who was born one gender and wants everyone to call him as her or whatever one day is pushing his/her view on others by forcing others to bend to their whims. That is major entitlement imo. They are the person who decided to be called differently. Even if the other party does not want to call them by their preferred pronoun they should be the ones who should compromise because they are the ones who believe they are different.

The teacher acting that way wouldn't have happened if their administration didn't force them to someone else's views. I know they are being "inclusive" but they didn't feel like including others feelings and made it mandatory. Why Is only one minority groups feeling taken into account while taking such a decision but not the other's?

Let's say someone keeps changing their pronoun as and when they feel different will you keep up with their antics? I'm sure you will say yes and good for you. But i will say no, because it's not my problem. I don't care what anyone wants to be called by the passing season it their whims and I'll probably stop talking to them forever. A teacher doesn't have that leeway where he can ignore some troublemaker in their class. And if there are a dozen or so of such people in each class, do you have the confidence to remember everyone's pronoun?

Btw, this is general talk where everything is allowed right? Let's have a logical discussion instead of thinking that people with different views are foxnew or Trump fanatics. If it's not allowed then mods can delete this thread and I'll keep my questions to technical issues only. I don't have a problem with that.:⁠-⁠)

@letmein

> If someone stars calling me (I'm male) as "Miss/ Ms. letmein", or "letmin Ma'am/ Madam", and refuse to correct themselves even after I tell them, I'd get pissed. So I can see where a lot of these "woke" people are coming from.

In light of this comment, wondering your opinion on, considering proposal for laws like this:

> I thought this forum was for geeks and nerds.

@Mr.J Geeks and nerds can be interested in philosophy ?
Ethics, laws, seeking individual / societal rights, politics, etc. involves this.

So considering above link and in it's impact on others, why can't geeks and nerds discuss some interesting topic ?

People here can also unwind occasionally, not necessarily always wear their geek nerdy hat. :)

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize".

Last edited:
@letmein

In light of this comment, wondering your opinion on, considering proposal for laws like this:

I have no problem with it. Most of our laws such as this used only 'he' to refer to citizens. If women didn't protest then, why are you so upset about it now?

> If women didn't protest then, why are you so upset about it now?

In that essence, men should protest now ? Otherwise, why a one sided law is created now.

btw, 'he' was used historically for multitude of reasons, things indeed changed now. Doesn't mean men as a gender disappeared last year.

In context of this law, if they are going so 'inclusive' in 2022 / 2023, why avoid 'he' altogether ?

This reminds of Slavoj Zizek's comments about this topic.

Last edited:
I'm talking about people forcing their views on others. Think about it from both the sides instead of just one side. The person who was born one gender and wants everyone to call him as her or whatever one day is pushing his/her view on others by forcing others to bend to their whims. That is major entitlement imo. They are the person who decided to be called differently. Even if the other party does not want to call them by their preferred pronoun they should be the ones who should compromise because they are the ones who believe they are different.
How tf is it entitlement to call someone properly? Would it be okay if I kept calling a guy named Arun as Anil? Even though I know his name is Arun? If I did that I'd be an a-hole. There are no two sides to this.

The teacher acting that way wouldn't have happened if their administration didn't force them to someone else's views. I know they are being "inclusive" but they didn't feel like including others feelings and made it mandatory. Why Is only one minority groups feeling taken into account while taking such a decision but not the other's?
That teacher went out of his way to do that. If he doesn't 'believe' in transgender people (whatever tf that means btw, no scientists would say otherwise) then he shouldn't get SR surgery himself. But he doesn't get to dictate others. If John wants be called as Jane then call her Jane. Don't go out of your way to be a d--k.

Let's say someone keeps changing their pronoun as and when they feel different will you keep up with their antics?
Nobody does that apart fictional people in from anecdotes by right wing chuds.

It's clear from where you and others getting their views. And that shit needs to be called out. We don't need the sh-t that's going on in US in this country. We have enough on our plate.
I have realized over time that its somehow the nerds who are often most susceptible to such propaganda.. I have some theories about how this came to be - but that would be a major digression :lol
Yeah. There was that gamergate bullshit that I got caught up in briefly. Thankfully I didn't go down that road.
@Mr.J Geeks and nerds can be interested in philosophy ?
Ethics, laws, seeking individual / societal rights, politics, etc. involves this.
Yeah they can but in my experience they're really terrible at it.
“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize".
Do you know who said that? Kevin Alfred Strom, a neo-nazi and a holocaust denier. Maybe find out where you're getting quotes from before spouting them like a parrot.

Last edited:
> Do you know who said that? Kevin Alfred Strom, a neo-nazi and a holocaust denier. Maybe find out where you're getting quotes from before spouting them like a parrot.

@Mr.J

Already responded earlier and I stand by that same comment:

If a valid opinion / truth is even from your enemy, you should be capable of understanding and respect it.
Whether it is in your vested interest is a different matter altogether.

I mean, if he says sun rise in the east, am not going to deny it.

> They're very resistant to new ideas. Case in point.

Give them a chance ;);)

Last edited:
Interesting Subject Sir, Madam, Saheb - and One that I have fought to overcome for over the last 42 years..... along with the Mai-Baap Culture!

We Indians are permanently STUCK into the ROT of belittling our own self-worth - with Obeisance to Elders/Seniors - which results in SERVILITY [Just CUT THE CRAP OF INDIAN ROOTED TRADITIONS of Deep Respect & Blah Blah .... :mad:]

Think, how this has grown into our genes - so much so that Parents & Children are distanced by this permanent bond of OBEISANCE - in the false premise of Respect!

RESPECT - CAN ONLY COME - When a Parent & Child treats each other EQUALLY [No matter the age or life's experiences - Just look at the Americans!]

I have met and interacted with many world - Titled Celebrities/Persons of Authority/ Film Directors/Actors etc - BUT I HAVE ALWAYS ADDRESSED THEM BY NAME & never bowed down to their Rankings/Titles/Status...... (some of them were taken aback at first - but got around quickly to be a normal human). I have also constantly told my colleagues not to address me as Sir and call me Terry or Terence ........ but it's frustrating as I cannot change their mindsets overnight. Only places & times - I am forced to use these degenerative terms - are with SARKARI BABUS & COPS :mad::arghh:

With this Sir, Madam, Saheb mindset - we go around the world & no matter what our qualifications or earnings are - WE Indians are STUCK as crawling worms when compared to other cultural folks - be it the Chinese; Africans; East-Asians; Latinos as they MOVE AROUND WITH GREATER CONFIDENCE & THEIR HEADS HELD HIGH - not mentioning about the Gora-Chamdas who are sociologically - the White-Skinned Brahminical Race on this planet o_O
In few mandatory on-job business communication trainings across cos. we were clearly told that this is an Indian thing to say sir and dear to everyone and even "your good name" etc. There is no such thing as good name or a bad name as every name is a good name, nobody names their kids as devils and demons!
Dear/Sir should be addressed to only very senior level people in an organization and also in govt. communication.
In corporate or otherwise its better to call everyone by their names irrespective of the seniority and hierarchy except if the person is director/ceo etc.

Else sir/saar etc. is Indian way of To Butter Up or Flatter Someone to get your work done. (maska lagana/ gadhe ko bhi baap banana)
Else sir/saar etc. is Indian way of To Butter Up or Flatter Someone to get your work done. (maska lagana/ gadhe ko bhi baap banana) - is the TRUTH :banghead:

Last edited:
RESPECT - CAN ONLY COME - When a Parent & Child treats each other EQUALLY [No matter the age or life's experiences - Just look at the Americans!]

Yeah, just look at the Americans... :oops:

> Only places & times - I am forced to use these degenerative terms - are with SARKARI BABUS & COPS :mad::arghh:

How 'murricans deal with Cops is internationally infamous. Not that Indians are great at that, but dude plzzz.... We don't get shot for nonsensical reasons everyday.

1mins is about other end of horse shoe theory ? Even the wokest of woke go the other side when convenient, can't stand being called even designation and go ugly rant ?

Don't be memes writing themselves these days, you don't have to... lol.... :(:oops:

Last edited:
i think you guys are reading too much into this.

This is a practice prevalent all across asia including China and Japan which were never really colonized.
Probably more to do with an asian tendency to accord respect with age which is less prevalent in the west.

While I won’t say one is better than the other, i really dont think it has anything to do with a master/slave mentality

e.g. The japanese in fact take it a lot more seriously than we do - In India, esp urban parts, it is mostly fine to talk to people in the office (or elsewhere) on a first name basis. But do not try address a Japanese client without an honorific Saan with the name :)
The chinese are kind of somewhere in between where the use of honorifics is prevalent but not mandatory
Sorry I disagree - We are in Fact HARDLY reading the TRUTH

Our culture of Obeisance and Servility - who is LESSER BORN /HIGHER BORN - through thousands of years of an indoctrination of Varnas, Savarnas, Avarnas which permeated through every living beings existential lifetime is a permanent curse!

> Do you know who said that? Kevin Alfred Strom, a neo-nazi and a holocaust denier. Maybe find out where you're getting quotes from before spouting them like a parrot.

@Mr.J

Already responded earlier and I stand by that same comment:

If a valid opinion / truth is even from your enemy, you should be capable of understanding and respect it.
Whether it is in your vested interest is a different matter altogether.

I mean, if he says sun rise in the east, am not going to deny it.

Which direction the Sun rises is not a matter of opinion. It's a fact.

And maybe consider vested interests of neo-nazis before 'respecting' their 'valid' opinions.

Yeah, just look at the Americans... :oops:

Can you also find list of Trump blunders by Faux news while you're at it?
Or what he said was when his daughter was asked “What’s the favorite thing you have in common with your father?”

> Which direction the Sun rises is not a matter of opinion. It's a fact.

Yep, for that we need to understand it is a fact first.
But, many are not even self aware.

> Can you also find list of Trump blunders by Faux news while you're at it?

No, I follow Slavoj Žižek, the wokest of woke. Did you even click that link ? I can't even type his comments here. lol.

Last edited:
Back