What is your First internet Memory ?

Used to download 1 mb screensavers keeping net on for 1 hour , wwe wallpapers had a big collection of them in "C drive" in 96-97 , alas then one day computer engineer comes says has to format pc to repair something ( I did not knw what was formatting then :)) , i say ok and all my wallpapers etc gone :S .

Awesome days those were playing Dave, Frogpult. Commandos , Allan borders cricket , figuring out how to switch controllers in fifa till then used to watch cpu vs cpu :)

Went to a cyber cafe with a school senior in 1999. First website was hotmail. My friend helped me sign up...
After that had a BSNL Dialup (was called sancharnet I guess)

agantuk said:
Mine was at a cyber cafe in 1998, at 70 bucks per hour. Not sure what speed it was - was too naive to know all these things. The cafe guy opened a Yahoo! mail account for me. I never happened to login back to that account as I forgot the password :D I was also shown a site streaming songs like a radio, was mighty impressed. Then it was rediffmail.com. Ah, that excitement!
--- Updated Post - Automerged ---
PS: Nice thread idea!
asingh said:
@ RS. 100/hour. Of course was the dial up-handshake. I guess 1998.
First website to rest my eyes on was hotmail.com.

Something similar here as well 1997 or 1998 at a cyber cafe, probably the only one in Chennai that time for about 100 bucks for half an hour or something and first site being hotmail.
Nice thread!

I connected with Sift Rs200 net package through BSNL Landline.

Guess what, I ended up paying Rs 7000 more, because the data usage wasn't free. :mad:

I don't remember the 1st website I visited.

I think it was around 1997/98 and I was in Saudi Arabia back then. Our ISP was from UAE. We used to make ISD calls for internet. :bleh:

I think the first website I visited was Hotmail. :p

I used to love the modem 'music'. :eek:hyeah:

My first internet access was in 2002, when I was about 14. so, I had won some contest and I got 50hours internet at a cyber cafe as prize. First site I visited was Discovery Channel : Science, History, Space, Tech, Sharks, News and even years later, I still love that site. other than that, we used to chat lot on Yahoo messenger's chat rooms to unknown people:ashamed:

There is a funny incident I remember:

At that I didn't knew how to use a computer properly. so there is one time, I have to open a site which has in its name Q. And I was not able to locate that letter Q on the keyboard and even after searching badly, I didn't find it.

so I called the incharge

Me: This keyboard is faulty:mad:

She: Why? what is wrong?

Me: letter Q is missing from the keyboard:no:

(She does not reply and says this in loud voice)

She: hey, look everyone this kid says there is no letter Q on this keyboard.

(then I notice the Q letter was indeed present but I missed it but too late. Everyone is laughing on me already.)

And I ended up making fool of myself in front of nearly 100people:p :eek:hyeah:

God, that was embrassing:ashamed:

then there was thing that if your dialup connection is connected your line gives some weird sound on parellel line.
on day dad caught me wth our line gets such sound & its because of you.

then there were days when ppl donot know how to remove those visited url/ cleaning history in IE, some lucky fellas do check of wht last person does surf in cafe during those days

Even I had VSNL 50hrs dialup. I used to try and save it as much as possible by using Caltiger. Anyone remembers the ISP named NOW? They had offered a 25 hours plan free on registration. I must have registered 10 times on it :D

I was in 5-6 std some of my friends used to go in cyber cafe for playing games, I used to go with them but i never played (i was scared :p) and first website i saw on computer it was some WWE website.

Then in 2007 used my nokia 6300 as modem.

Those days I had Vodafone SIM but just for cheap internet I switched to Airtel, Airtel used to charge for some 14 rupees per day for Mobile office, I used to get approx 20kbps Download speed & first website i visited with that connection was Google and searched for santabanta.com LOL

After VSNL i had got a connection from Dishnet ISP. They had some 1 Hour free daily and each additional hour for Rs 25 or something. The speeds were really good (as in consistent) with this and i had overshot the limit quiet a few times, had to then rush to their cyber cafe in Vileparle (at T point junction signal of SV road and station road) to pay the overcharge.

Anyone remember dishnet had this 1/2 hour free net access offer. Dont know how one used to get it but i remember going there quiet a few times just for free internet :ashamed:

My Internet Memories, There was an inet connection some 10kbips odd, from 1995 odd, mom had to use it for her stuff, dont remember that old stuff, just that mom tells me about it from time to time, looking at the bittorrent/bandwidth meter :p

I remember when I was in Ist or IInd standard, dad called up from office told me to go to hotmail, I even remember his password from then, check some mail of his.

Then I made my first email-id mom helped me out then, rediff.com 1998ish , the account still exists :D Somewhere then I learnt that I-net could be disconnected by just hanging up the reciever , damn I used to do that stuff unknowingly , dad would come screaming at me...

99 odd, half the damn house moved to the states :| I had to help my granny with the web cam, uncle got us a USB 1.0 port and a Intel Webcam, and get them connected through dialpad+yahoo messenger.

2002 I guess DSL came In, damn go to airliners.net every damn day for the 15 minutes of my internet time, some time on napster, but yeah didnt really know much then, and yeah first pr0n then, bloody friend of mine, neighbour, He was like 6 years older than me :mad: (I dont blame him now)

2005 my U/L spree started, Limewire, moved on to torrents all of that happened... Damn now, nothing but 1080p :p

The timeline might be thoda idhar udhar, but mostly accurate, I still have my dlink modem, big bloody heavy brick, with a toggle switch attached, and 15-16 odd LEDs :S

Awesome , thanks for reminding switch !

It started back in 2000 when I was on 7th std, used to see loads of cartoons so Cartoon Network | Free Games and Online Video from Ben 10, Star Wars and Total Drama Action! was my 1st site that I visited later created mail id in YaHoO.com. Was paying 40/per hour for just watching cartoonnetwork.com, no games as the cafe wala was scared of viruses so he didn't allowed even shockwave player (for shockwave based games).. LOL. Though twice I got his cafe attacked with viruses and last time he was literally crying. :eek:hyeah:

Later in 2007 colg 2nd year finally got myself internet connection from Alliance Broadband - Ranikuthi, Kol of 64kbps (d/l speed of 3-5kbps :bleh:). Use to d/l games @ 5kbps that time hahahaha OMG

Desibaba it was. :D

Also in those days my favorite site used to be gamesdomain.com, I used to wait for hours and download those 10-15 mb game demos. All of it was so exciting back then. Not to forget, the viruses. I was just starting to learn computers, I must have crashed my windows more than 15 times, luckily the guy who assembled our PC was nice. Besides, we had paid for a 2 years AMC, which was totally worth it. He was the one who taught me how to format windows.

Back