What stops internet access from being cheaper in India !!!

What is the NTP Saying Exactly. Most of the Online Sites messed up the Stuff.
So basically it is 2Mbps by 2015 and 100mbps by 2020?

Yes to the first part and no to the second part.

The latter is simply that 100mbps should be available, not that it's the definition of broadband. Very different precedents.

That's correct. right now its suppose to be 512kbps but most ISP's are still providing 256kbps as broadband, After 2015 the new definition would be revised to 2Mbps but again there would be a lot of red tape involved & unless Govt. agency put its foot down most ISP's would not implement it just like most still don't... Everything gets delayed in INdia so rest assured your broadband definition & its implementation would as well...

100Mbps is a distant dream & I wouldn't be too optimistic about the targeted date... It would take much beyond 2020 to get 100Mbps... :p

Like I've been saying, the way it's worded is so damn relaxed that all they'll need to do is change the world "broadband" to "internet" in the marketing material and it will be perfectly legitimate.

10 mbps 1000 bucks pm Hyderabad beam fiber

There is hope

Or 20mbps for 2500.

Isp's Like beam,act & Upcoming Yada Yada should make it possible. definitely possible.

As the de-facto broadband speed, yes, 2020 is a stretch - that's not even the norm in Europe (despite widespread availability).

But as for 100mbps being available to most users? On some networks it already is - just no ISPs are really offering such speeds yet because of this myth that seems to continually be perpetrated that providing higher speeds costs more money, yet if you'll read my previous diatribes, it is my experience that it really isn't more expensive in any way, shape or form. The only prerequisite is that the ISP itself has sufficient bandwidth and that the connection between the LCO and ISP is sufficiently large.

But as for 100mbps being available to most users? On some networks it already is - just no ISPs are really offering such speeds yet because of this myth that seems to continually be perpetrated that providing higher speeds costs more money, yet if you'll read my previous diatribes, it is my experience that it really isn't more expensive in any way, shape or form. The only prerequisite is that the ISP itself has sufficient bandwidth and that the connection between the LCO and ISP is sufficiently large.

You know how it works. For Example If Some ISP like ACT offers 100mbps with 200Gb fup and 5mbps unlimited for 3k.
You broadband will Start > Followed by other ISP's.

You know how it works. For Example If Some ISP like ACT offers 100mbps with 200Gb fup and 5mbps unlimited for 3k.
You broadband will Start > Followed by other ISP's.

I know Beam wants to follow our lead since I have spoken directly with them about exactly that.

Airtel seems to be following but I can only speculate where that sudden desire to offer higher speed plans has come from - I have no way of telling for certain.

@mgcarley Thanks for sharing your insight.

I have to ask, how does a guy from New zealand (if I am not mistaken) end up in India and start his own ISP.

I checked the coverage map on your website and I guess you provide services in Dadar East, thinking of getting a prepaid copper plan for my parents. The prepaid plan is cheaper compared to 600 bucks I pay to MTNL every month plus I want to support someone who is actively trying to change the internet landscape in India.

Last edited by a moderator:
mgcarley Thanks for sharing your insight.

I have to ask, how does a guy from New zealand (if I am not mistaken) end up in India and start his own ISP.

That story is longer than the complete series of "Harry Potter"... there were a lot of countries involved between when I left NZ and when I got to India.

The motivation was that I moved here from Europe and my access speeds dropped from 100mbit/s to GPRS which is what, 114k - effectively representing a 99.886% drop in speed. I may have got EDGE if I was lucky but that would still be a 99.77% drop... so... it all stemmed from being disgruntled about the state of things.

Product development was largely "crowdsourced" but heavily relied on what I knew or had experienced elsewhere.

I checked the coverage map on your website and I guess you provide services in Dadar East, thinking of getting a prepaid copper plan for my parents. The prepaid plan is cheaper compared to 600 bucks I pay to MTNL every month plus I want to support someone who is actively trying to change the internet landscape in India.

Dadar is quite near to our base (Mahim) so generally speaking it should be available - and if not, wouldn't be far away.

...Bugger... I fear I have involuntarily hijacked the thread again.

- - - Updated - - -

Also if there's a TE admin around: why do percentage signs get mangled in to the HTML code?

...Bugger... I fear I have involuntarily hijacked the thread again.

Not really, this was more likely a news thread & members ought to get involved & informed among others with the limitations in broadband. The topic in question is just a part of what makes broadband not reaching to the masses yet...

Not really, this was more likely a news thread & members ought to get involved & informed among others with the limitations in broadband. The topic in question is just a part of what makes broadband not reaching to the masses yet...

No argument, but people are asking me about my service specifically which, while awesome, is not why I'm here - and if TE is like most other forums, advertisements are likely prohibited and as such I'd rather keep it all on the down-low unless the administrator gives me permission to do otherwise (which I am not asking for, nor do I expect).

The reason I *am* here is to hopefully justify to you guys what the situation is with broadband in India and help you understand why things are the way they are based on my own meandering experiences in delivering what you guys all want, what I know from other ISPs that I talk to, conferences I attend and yes, user reports about the services offered by the other 130-odd licensed operators in India - because if I don't, I'm 99.999 percent sure nobody else will (my counterparts in the industry are all in their late-50s to mid-60s and probably not nearly as enthusiastic about broadband as I am - whereas the oldest person in my company recently turned 40).

At the same time if I can establish a reputation as someone who knows vaguely what they're talking about concerning the Internet and things related to it, then that would be a bonus.

@mgcarley

You can advertise here if you become a dealer (for the sake of, mods can clarify). You may also help people in getting answers directly from you about the areas covered and price related doubts or anything. Not saying you have to do this but in case you do come to this forum as a formal dealer, it might help many of us who are looking for reasonably priced true broadband services which is at the same time flexible as per our requirements.

^.. I don't think that's practical 'coz then he would be bombarded with the same questions again & again on limit, speed, plans, FUP, services (Copper or fibre) & areas of service... I've seen this on BroadBand Forum again & again...

Though I love his inputs on the current scenario 'coz it helps me understand the ground realities much better... :)

mgcarley

You can advertise here if you become a dealer (for the sake of, mods can clarify). You may also help people in getting answers directly from you about the areas covered and price related doubts or anything. Not saying you have to do this but in case you do come to this forum as a formal dealer, it might help many of us who are looking for reasonably priced true broadband services which is at the same time flexible as per our requirements.

...if one of the mods or admins wants to tell me about being a dealer or whatever, then my ears are open...

As for other stuff, as most questions are already answered, in most cases, on our website (we even have an FAQ section which is categorized and everything) so I'd very much recommend checking that first.

I don't want to sound lazy, unappreciative or apathetic, but the idea for that is not only to save everyone time (sometimes the same questions get asked multiple times in the same thread and it can make things very messy) but mainly to hopefully prevent the thread from deviating from the original topic.

- - - Updated - - -

^.. I don't think that's practical 'coz then he would be bombarded with the same questions again & again on limit, speed, plans, FUP, services (Copper or fibre) & areas of service... I've seen this on BroadBand Forum again & again...

Yes. You beat me to it.

Alternatively, ask me privately. Or email us. Or call us.

Though I love his inputs on the current scenario 'coz it helps me understand the ground realities much better... :)

Right. Because we all people (except @mgcarley) are all talking based on what we read in newspapers and internet, our one off talks with some ISP engineer or other random stuff. But here we have this person who has first hand knowledge of what the ground reality is and we can get much more accurate information from him.

Right. Because we all people (except mgcarley) are all talking based on what we read in newspapers and internet, our one off talks with some ISP engineer or other random stuff. But here we have this person who has first hand knowledge of what the ground reality is and we can get much more accurate information from him.

Perhaps, but keep in mind that accuracy is relative. My experiences are unlikely to be the same as those of BSNL/MTNL or Beam or Airtel etc although hopefully I can extrapolate information in such a way that it still makes sense and/or pass on whatever information I manage to garner during my average day.

Just saw your plans, I must say they're fantabulous :bigok: Also, in your *future* plans/roadmap, bhopal falls en-route. When are you landing here? I promise to be the first subscriber :)

Just saw your plans, I must say they're fantabulous :bigok: Also, in your *future* plans/roadmap, bhopal falls en-route. When are you landing here? I promise to be the first subscriber :)

MPCG is one of the most left out circle in the broadband arena... Don't see any improvement since every ISP neglects it thoroughly 'coz market here is not mature enough.... :(

MPCG is one of the most left out circle in the broadband arena... Don't see any improvement since every ISP neglects it thoroughly 'coz market here is not mature enough.... :(

You should go to Bihar then, you'll get to know what BB backwardness is. Only BSNL is there, in MPCG if not many, but still Airtel, Reliance, Tikona are there.

^. Presence of many companies does not boast of good service/plans/speeds in MPCG circle... But if you are content that you are beating Bihar in no. of ISP's while other circles get faster broadband then CHEERS!! to that... :lol:

^. Presence of many companies does not boast of good service/plans/speeds in MPCG circle... But if you are content that you are beating Bihar in no. of ISP's while other circles get faster broadband then CHEERS!! to that... :lol:

Dude, presence of no of ISPs at least show BB penetration as compared to a circle which has still ONLY one ISP, that too BSNL. I didn't said that no of ISPs show service graph. Apart from Airtel, all ISPs here suck. Reliance is improving though.

Back