Budget 90k+ What to do with my MacBook Pro 15, 2015 model :(

VLC or a software impacting directly a hardware is something a silly stupid noobish reason given. Unless it was some overclocking tool.
Apple again here trying to promote its shit itunes or quicktime shit while refrain users from using 3rd party apps.

Not at all worthy spending 40k on display when you can get great laptops starting at 50k.

VLC or a software impacting directly a hardware is something a silly stupid noobish reason given. Unless it was some overclocking tool.
Apple again here trying to promote its shit itunes or quicktime shit while refrain users from using 3rd party apps.

Not at all worthy spending 40k on display when you can get great laptops starting at 50k.
It's not a macbook specific issue dude. Apple is not promoting anything here. I don't know what issue you have with apple; you seem to hate them intensely :)
People buy MacBooks for the overall user experience. I do not like their restricted ecosystem. But I still cannot deny that they make one of the best laptops on the market today.

I too find hard to believe VLC causing hardware issues.

I'm not sure what's the logic behind it. In VLC you can increase the volume by 200-400%, may be the speakers can't handle the extra load.
But I'm not sure. But it's a fact that manufacturers do deny under warranty repair for blown out speakers if they find VLC.
It's not only an Apple issue. HP laptops are also notorious ( blown out speakers)
I'm no expert in computer hardware, but familiar with speakers and audio hardware. Laptop speakers have brass caps on those tiny speakers, those caps are notorious (prone to burn very easily)

It's not about Apple only mate. HP, Dell all do the same. In fact HP checks the registry to find traces of the software, if it's uninstalled by user.
It's not a new problem, happening for years. But heard about it after a long time here.

Last edited:
That myth has been challenged so many times, yet people are ready to pay the Apple tax.
Some Apple laptops are very good though. Hoping Apple keeps at least keep one intel laptop.
It's been a year, yet some essential 3rd party plugins for photoshop do not work.. same with LPX.
For me personally, I have to buy software and hardware close to 8-10K EUR to use the M1 Mac for daily work.
Perfectly happy with the Intel 16 inch MBP.
Sorry for going OT.

It's not a macbook specific issue dude. Apple is not promoting anything here. I don't know what issue you have with apple; you seem to hate them intensely :)
People buy MacBooks for the overall user experience. I do not like their restricted ecosystem. But I still cannot deny that they make one of the best laptops on the market today.
You cannot challenge me here as I have worked with Apple and know all their shit polices and traps in the name of service. If apple devices are the last on this planet to stay, I better switch to good old stone age.
And where did I say macbook specific issue? Its purely lame to blame vlc player affecting speakers, even a kid will laugh at this claim.
People buy macbook for exp. but locking themselves locking in a jail! Its user specific thing so not my thing of interest.
They might be making one of the best but not the best at least and thankfully thats great! And they will never ever make best as best should also be a bit pocket friendly and not cost nukes kidneys and bombs and certainly not a crap A.S.S! Not their cup of tes but only pee!

One of the very 100s incidents I remember where a customer came with his ipod memory corruption and appleanalyzed the storage only to find that he stored wav file and they blamed that innocent file and customer & asked him to change the entire ipod motherboard (chargeable even though it was under warranty)

I hope you got why the hell I hate this shit co.
It's not about Apple only mate. HP, Dell all do the same. In fact HP checks the registry to find traces of the software, if it's uninstalled by user.
It's not a new problem, happening for years. But heard about it after a long time here.
But they wont be blaming vlc or winzip for battery life, ram, storage and xyz issues. At least haven't heard such lame claims from these brands.
They do scan mostly for under-warranty stuff to ensure OS isnt tampered by installing pirated/cracked versions and thats perfectly fine!

It's basically DAC and speaker power mismatch.
hp and Dell were notorious for this. How can Crapple leave behind in some more cost cutting practices.
After a long long time LG Gram was the one and only Windows/ Apple laptop which didn't give me any issues yet (2 years without ANY ISSUE)
HP being the worst, followed closely by Apple ( Apple's service is really BAD)

Last edited:
It's basically DAC and speaker power mismatch.
hp and Dell were notorious for this. How can Crapple leave behind in some more cost cutting practices.
After a long long time LG Gram was the one and only Windows/ Apple laptop which didn't give me any issues yet (2 years without ANY ISSUE)
HP being the worst, followed closely by Apple ( Apple's service is really BAD)
This is inexcusable as its poor design by the manufacturers or they just cut costs by putting whatever was available without caring for a mismatch in specs. I did own HP and Fujitsu laptops but never faced this issue though. I suppose the only way to avoid this is to use external dac and speakers if anyone wants to play this loud.

And if the answer to this is Yes then what is different in VLC w.r.t Macbook speakers for it to cause damage. I don't use my macbook air for media playback and may be one off youtube video watching I will do but this is my first ever macbook and am I awestruck by the quality and loudness of the speaker on this slim macbook air.
Regardless of whichever version, I stopped using it, later on Netflix caused the problem with the speakers

My macbook pro 2016 speakers are starting to distort now, have used it only for meetings and not much into media consumption and i almost use it everytime with a headset. it seems like a design flaw in macbooks

:) this thread has drifted far from the OPs query.
Things to do with your old MacBook.

1)Sell it is best option and use what ever funds you get for a new one.

2) If you are adventurous use the hardware to make a HTPC/desktop unit (if possible) so the speaker and screen won't be needed.

3) Definitely do not waste more money on repair

:) this thread has drifted far from the OPs query.
Things to do with your old MacBook.

1)Sell it is best option and use what ever funds you get for a new one.

2) If you are adventurous use the hardware to make a HTPC/desktop unit (if possible) so the speaker and screen won't be needed.

3) Definitely do not waste more money on repair

i will sell it only once I have enough money to buy a MacBook Pro 16

If you don't mind me asking...what's your usage like? Any Mac specific app? Asking because I've recently bought the 16 inch MacBook Pro and it's a b**ch to carry around everyday. I've been totally spoiled by the awesome LG Gram, so much so that I'm using it for all non production related tasks.

The 16 inch MBP is a very capable laptop but for the typical everyday use ( email, browsing, Office- I'm back to Corel's WP office..in the latest version even the huge spreadsheets work perfectly, YouTube etc) for me the Gram is still the perfect laptop. Bought the M1 MBA but returned it for the 16 inch.

If you're not dependent on any Mac specific software, consider Windows laptops too. I came back to Windows after more than 10 years and some of the newer laptops are genuinely good. Specially the trackpads have improved so much that I don't miss MBP's trackpad at all.

If you don't mind me asking...what's your usage like? Any Mac specific app? Asking because I've recently bought the 16 inch MacBook Pro and it's a b**ch to carry around everyday. I've been totally spoiled by the awesome LG Gram, so much so that I'm using it for all non production related tasks.

The 16 inch MBP is a very capable laptop but for the typical everyday use ( email, browsing, Office- I'm back to Corel's WP office..in the latest version even the huge spreadsheets work perfectly, YouTube etc) for me the Gram is still the perfect laptop. Bought the M1 MBA but returned it for the 16 inch.

If you're not dependent on any Mac specific software, consider Windows laptops too. I came back to Windows after more than 10 years and some of the newer laptops are genuinely good. Specially the trackpads have improved so much that I don't miss MBP's trackpad at all.

1. The smoothness of Mac something that i would not get in any windows Laptop except Surface Book which is more expensive than MBP. The track pad of Mac Book is still the best, i haven't found any Windows Laptop with such a smooth and handy track pad. I do have HP Envy 15 laptop with Core i Quad Core and GB RAM. I replaced its old hard drive with a 512 MB Samsung SSD, so it does feel smooth but nothing compared to MacBook pro.
2. Unlike Windows laptop Mac don't come with these crappy bloat wares
3. Mac don't need an anti virus software or any malware
4. I do iOS application development using objective C which can only be done in Mac, though the latest .NET environment with cross platform supports iOS application development

Overall for Laptops I would prefer Mac over Windows. Its simple yet sophisticated. Yes when it comes to desktop I would always go for Windows over Mac. Somehow after Windows 8, I kinda lost interest for Windows. I would use it only for Gaming and .NET application development. For my daily day to day task my Mac is the best. My HP Envy 15 was my laptop of choice for daily use, but after using MacBook pro I don't feel like going back to Windows Laptop ever again, and then my overall apple ecosystem, Apple Watch Series 6, iPhone 12 Pro Max (tough I do have 2 Samsung galaxy smartphones too but I use it for a different purpose), everything is sync very well. Don't get me wrong, Windows is good, but my taste and preference when it comes to laptop its Mac

Last edited:
Let's not get into Mac vs PC once more. I totally understand that you do need a Mac for your work.
Except the development part I had the exact same concerns about Windows laptops as I didn't use a single Windows computer (desktop or laptop) from ?2008/2009 till 2019.
But you are totally into the "ecosystem" and happy with it, where a MBP makes a lot more sense.
After Apple removed the headphone jack in iphone, had to come out from it. Now I use all 4 ( Android, iOS, Windows, Mac), yes, it's bit cluttered but other than music production, I don't need much computing power.
Strangely I prefer the iMac way more than Windows desktop.
BTW Avoid Surface Book and similar all glued up laptops. Those are terrible in real life where accidents happen. By grace of God, I am in a position where I can get pretty much any laptop from the organisation I work for under 2000EUR every year, but cannot afford to loose some important data.
I have seen some of my friends buying the fanciest and newest laptops, damaging them and paying 3/4 times more from their own pocket to recover data (some never got back all the data) And that's the main reason I avoid newer MBP/ MBA for serious work and sensitive/ important data. They are really fragile and extremely difficult to repair and data recovery is often EXTREMELY expensive ( storing certain things in cloud is prohibited)

Last edited:
@maverick786us, Try with Apple certified repair places. I got the screen replaced 3yrs back or so. That was under 10K. Not sure whether it is used or not, but still works great and I remember they provided 1yr warranty as well. Upgrade RAM and go for SSD. I am sure it will work flawlessly and smoothly for few more yrs.

@maverick786us, Try with Apple certified repair places. I got the screen replaced 3yrs back or so. That was under 10K. Not sure whether it is used or not, but still works great and I remember they provided 1yr warranty as well. Upgrade RAM and go for SSD. I am sure it will work flawlessly and smoothly for few more yrs.

My MacBook came with 512GB SSD and 8GB RAM. Performance was never an issue, so it does'nt need an upgrade. Yes I might consider upgrading the SSD to 1TB in future. If I can get the screen replacement done for 10K with an year of warranty I will definitely go for it. Because I love keeping my devices in good and new conditions

Back