What to use for simple dust cleaning?

What should I use to clean dust off my PC components?

• NIKAVI ECC Electrical Contact Cleaner

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Pidilite WD-40

• Jakmister 600 W

• Other

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
Thing is, if you clean regularly (2-3 months) then you need nothing more than a brush (the make-up brush). Don't even need to remove components from case. If you're cleaning once in 8-12 months then perhaps you will need a thorough cleaning by removing all components and a brush will not suffice.

My area is dusty and while I have an airy Lian Li Lancool 2 cabinet, i can see dust on various components of my PC. I have the AMD heatsink fan as cooler, and there is no liquid spills.

4. Any other? (Please mention)

Every single part of that machine is available as spare parts. Your Chinese thing is use and throw.

Review

Put something in the case fans so they can't rotate and generate a reverse voltage that fries any components on your board ;)

Last edited:

Wasnt there a theory that using a vacuum cleaner and blower is bad for PC parts. Something on static electricity or those lines?

I've killed so much hardware with something like this without realizing just this year alone during the summer. It generates a lot of static electricity. If anyone does use this, make sure you have proper earthing and the computer is plugged in (even if the smps is turned off) when you blow into it.

2 inch paint brush with long bristles. Its more than enough to clean dust off any computer related surface

I use a discarded make up brush and this
View attachment 141057

This works best for me. I've tried everything – large vaccum cleaners, handheld rechargeable ones and electric blower. A soft wide paint brush and a handheld squeeze type blower is best for clearing dust.

Last edited:
I've killed so much hardware with something like this without realizing just this year alone during the summer. It generates a lot of static electricity. If anyone does use this, make sure you have proper earthing and the computer is plugged in (even if the smps is turned off) when you blow into it.
Is an electric blower actually bad, as long as the nozzle doesn't come in contact with the electronics? Curious, since I occassionally use a blower but from a fair distance (30cm or beyond) - I do hold/tape the fans from spinning. Is there a documented link to blowing air and static electricity?

Put something in the case fans so they can't rotate and generate a reverse voltage that fries any components on your board ;)
I used my vacuum cleaner on low, without any direct contact. But I had no idea i had to tape the fans. Thankfully when i turned on the pc later, it worked fine. Hoping it stays like this.

Get to learn new things everyday.

Is an electric blower actually bad, as long as the nozzle doesn't come in contact with the electronics? Curious, since I occassionally use a blower but from a fair distance (30cm or beyond) - I do hold/tape the fans from spinning. Is there a documented link to blowing air and static electricity?

In my experience, the further you hold it away, the more static builds up. I had working motherboards, m.2 drives, a few ESP modules and a disassembled wi-fi plug sitting next a system I was cleaning with a blower. After the cleaning, none of those things powered on or were detected. They were working literally minutes before. And my workspace is covered with an ESD mat (it wasn't grounded at the time, now it is).

But as long as the parts are grounded through the power cable, then static electricity should dissipate quickly enough not to cause lasting or incremental damage. I still use blowers at times since it's much faster and easier, but away from any loose components and after making sure the power cable is plugged into the smps.

I really want an air compressor for cleaning since it's better in every way and there's no issue of static build up.

Just use a smooth cloth while using Colin spray. Okay.
I use the same on my monitor, keyboard, mouse and use tooth brushes & small paint brushes for internal components of the cabinet.
It will again become shiny.
That works to most parts where hands can reach but inside GPU cpu fans ...it gets difficult to clean that way.

That works to most parts where hands can reach but inside GPU cpu fans ...it gets difficult to clean that way.
Then you can use table fan or need to buy a portable blower. This does the trick.
But you need to be careful not to break the fans of the GPU and you can repaste the CPU though and use the same technique here also. Okay.

In my experience, the further you hold it away, the more static builds up. I had working motherboards, m.2 drives, a few ESP modules and a disassembled wi-fi plug sitting next a system I was cleaning with a blower. After the cleaning, none of those things powered on or were detected. They were working literally minutes before. And my workspace is covered with an ESD mat (it wasn't grounded at the time, now it is).

But as long as the parts are grounded through the power cable, then static electricity should dissipate quickly enough not to cause lasting or incremental damage. I still use blowers at times since it's much faster and easier, but away from any loose components and after making sure the power cable is plugged into the smps.
As it happens, I always have my computer grounded while blow-cleaning - in true literal sense no less, since I have them on the ground. While this explains why I haven't suffered any disasters, I'm still curious as to the actual reasons and the science involved w.r.t. blowing air and static electricity.

I used my vacuum cleaner on low, without any direct contact. But I had no idea i had to tape the fans. Thankfully when i turned on the pc later, it worked fine. Hoping it stays like this.

Get to learn new things everyday.
Don't have to tape them. A toothpick wedged in the rotors will do it.
That would be the case normally and since we don't use carpets, being barefoot is also grounding

You get blowers that are grounded and considered safe, the thing is they cost like 10k. Fine if you operate a data centre. Not feasible for those running home rigs.

Last edited:
If you are in an area with frequent dust issues - then the best thing to do is keep your computer & keyboard etc COVERED when not in use. Else, a compulsory monthly cleaning using a blower. NIKAVI is a cheap solution too and works well.

Check this thread too Best Spray for Computer cleaning

This brings back memories. Covers for monitor and keyboard back in 2004 when I got my first PC.
It was good in those days when we had pure white or black dabba cabinet. Today it will spoil the entire rig look if your rig is something like a show-off.
Also, the covers itself gathers so much dust that its another pain to keep washing them once a while but ya it does protects your pc from dust.

Use this one to enhance the looks even on cover..

9198062197248b51bd1a5ef0244b85c1.jpg

Last edited:
It was good int hose days when we had pure white or black dabba cabinet. Today it will spoil the entire rig look if your rig is something like a show-off.
Also, the covers itself gathers so much dust that it another pain to keep washing them once a while but ya it does protects your pc from dust.
Use this to enhance the looks even on cover

View attachment 141544
Haha...

But how is cover practical with so much heat produced inside. Also most of the time pc is on...I am sure atleast 7-8 hrs is minimum people would be running their computers daily which is enough to invite lot of dust.

Back in those days pc were not getting so hot as today.

Pc Components are now like jet engine these days. Big on horse power = more heat.

Dust is major problem for me too but The way I have worked around is just keep opening after a month or two and clean whatever you can as safely as you can .

Cleaning laptop makes me nervous compared to desktop but cannot move to desktop anytime soon.

Haha...

But how is cover practical with so much heat produced inside. Also most of the time pc is on...I am sure atleast 7-8 hrs is minimum people would be running their computers daily which is enough to invite lot of dust.
Nobody uses pc with covers on. Obviously it will result in excess heating inside.

Back