What to wear on first day of job ? Plus any tips for first day ?

So from next week my cubicle life begins at a computer software company .

I had asked the HR during interview if there were any dress codes and he said no .

But since it will be my first day , what do you guys suggest I should wear ?

They gifted me with a campus t-shirt and bag after my interview earlier and the
people themselves came in jeans and that t-shirt for recruitment .

Plus what do you guys suggest to look for at first day of job ?
I will be visiting the company for the first time itself on 1st july.

Thanks !!

Shirt Trouser, keep tie optional. Make sure you are well groomed. Watch your shoe polish and be on time.

Good luck !!

Also on 1st August we want party, first salary party :p

what color should be the shirt and trouser ? , i will keep the tie optional , thanks .
also i dont want to look super dressed at an american software company which has no dress code , LOL ..

As @raksrules said any light colored shirt along with normal trouser in contrast should be good. I personally hate typical Indian office color shirts so have half of shirts with bit different colors - like kind of English green. OTOH hand I like white color as its pleasant to my eyes I have other half of shirts based on white color + strips/design etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where any dark trouser and decent shirt which is contrasting but compliments. Full length sleeves, with the cuffs closed (not rolled up). Forget the tie. Polished formals -nothing- with too much engravings and/or above ankle length boots. Be simple, but elegant. Wrap it up with a belt matching your shoes, and a decent caliber watch. Not a gigantic G-shock, just a everyday dress type time piece.

Best of luck...oh..congratulations..!

:)

Or you could go with Jeans and the Company T-shirt that they provided. Don't wear floaters or chappals.

Stick to formals and shoes for at least a week or so till you are comfortable with the team you will be working with.

A nice pair of formals - full-sleeved shirts (light shades? Might be a good idea to avoid any flashy ones esp. on the first day) and trousers (dark?), a belt and a pair of formal shoes (as per the dress code, the shade of the belt should match the shade of the shoes worn). Like they said, keep a tie with the knot ready in your bag, just in case.

Tips - well, just be yourself and not pretend to be too mature (no offense! We've noticed a lot of freshers do that) just because you have joined an organization after leaving the grad. days. Don't flash your iPad and other expensive stuff on the first day - keep it simple. You would most probably be taken through an orientation course by the HR department to familiarise yourself with the company, their line of work and the culture. This may take as much as a month or a few days if it is a lateral recruitment. Over this period, you might have befriended several co-workers who may have joined with you. Avoid going for chai-sutta (tea/smoke) outside the company premises on the first day - might be a good idea to wait and see how it pans out.

Good luck man! I still remember the day (July 18th 2008) I had joined for work. :')

+1 to what Gannu said. No show-off and avoid chai-sutta outside company premises. If you don't have much to do (a cent percent probability) try and stick to your desk. Just notice how things work around the company. How are people planning their breaks/work etc. Will help you to plan yours too :)
And
Best of Luck :)

well, usually first day at companies will be busy filling out forms and getting introduced to your team members etc... since I dont like wearing formals I suggest you that you wear a jeans, t-shirt and shoes. probably new clothes. get clean shave and hair nicely groomed. try to look fresh and clean. use good deo and smell fresh. try to stick to your desk and avoid going out. when you are allotted with a computer, try to get softwares and accounts working etc... and dont start browsing fb/personal mail.

Congrats on the new job!! Formal full sleeve shirt (may be light colored) and trousers (dark) + formal shoes. Tie won't be needed but keep in handy.

1) Keep it simple. The key word for your first day at work is restraint. If you're a naturally bubbly hyper-energetic type, tone it down a notch. You don't want to scare people. Likewise, if your default gear is low and slow, have an extra cup of coffee and practice your best fake smile
2) Reach well before time, you may visit the place one day early to get a feel of the location
3) Practice introducing yourself. During induction you might be asked to share a few things about yourself and why did you decide to join the company
4) Take notes
5) If you don't know something or unsure, ask
6) Communicate professionally

Agree with what most have said. Stick to the tried and tested, black trouser and shirt (preferably smart blue checks/stripes), keep the tie just in case. You should be well groomed, the nails too (most of us tend to overlook that). Carry original as well as photocopies of important documents (if not submitted earlier). And yes, if unsure about something, ask away (politely).

Congrats on the new job!! Formal full sleeve shirt (may be light colored) and trousers (dark) + formal shoes. Tie won't be needed but keep in handy.

1) Keep it simple. The key word for your first day at work is restraint. If you're a naturally bubbly hyper-energetic type, tone it down a notch. You don't want to scare people. Likewise, if your default gear is low and slow, have an extra cup of coffee and practice your best fake smile
2) Reach well before time, you may visit the place one day early to get a feel of the location
3) Practice introducing yourself. During induction you might be asked to share a few things about yourself and why did you decide to join the company
4) Take notes
5) If you don't know something or unsure, ask
6) Communicate professionally

haha , you got me on the first point , me = hyper energetic type .. will keep it under control just like during the recruitments :)

Thanks everyone for the replies !!

One tip adding to all excellent grooming tips...keep your eyes, mind and ear open to your work place...listen, try to understand and don't make opinions n express then..in a workplace during initial days u r likely to find company of time wasting people n u really would not like to be found with them after some time..most importantly they r likely to showcase u how boar the company is even if it just a bit boring Hope urs is not...best of luck n congratulations:rolleyes:

Back