What to wear on first day of job ? Plus any tips for first day ?

Don't ask people, how is the work environment and how is work and how is the manager. This is highly subjective and everyone has their opinions and you cannot base yours on what some random people say. Just go with the flow and enjoy your new workspace.

Limit mobile usage and keep it on silent or at-least on some very very simple ringtone. I remember this instruction about ringtone given in my induction.

There are no clothing limitations in my company. Most of the guys come in T Shirt and Shorts. I knew that before however I preferred to wear formal shirt (bright color), jeans and shoes. Just wanted to make sure that I make somewhat good impression on first day. :p

Anyway, don't wear a tie. If your company does have SAME culture as mine, you will look like a fool in that .. Just a formal shirt, jeans and shoes.. That's it. :)

Congo brother.
-Well dressed, preferably plain/strip light color shirts with dark trouser but dont be full black n white!:p
-Very Imp:- Listen more n more, Speak less n less
-Limit body launguage.
-Eye contact with gentle smile
-Gentle shake hand (not firm). Let opponent to decide the shake hand time!
-Avoid gupsup, phoning, tabing, i-pading, smoking, chewing. If require any of this, just go outside or designated area. People who watching you would like this!
-Be pleasant & receivable, always, during the day
-Dont ask about your desk till they offer.
-Dont try to grab everything about mates, boss, staff on very first day.
-Dont be judgmental & be mentally present there!

All d best!

You can never go wrong with a formal white shirt (not with any flashy cuffs incase you have one) and black trousers. Keep a black/dark red tie as backup if needed.

Hair should be well done and no out bed look that day. No flashy gadgets or bling. Remember you will have enough time to show off you bling and all.

Always be before time if not on time. Take a small lunch break for the first few days and ensure that you are on your desk most of the times.

And most Importantly be yourself cause this image you will remain for a long time...

Best of Luck and Have Fun...

Is wearing a full sleeved shirt mandatory? Especially in Indian MNC's?
I sweat a lot and so prefer half sleeved shirts. But is that OK in these companies?

I sweat a lot and so prefer half sleeved shirts. But is that OK in these companies?
Inside the companies you would have ACs right?
Where I work, it is mandatory to wear full sleeves only on Mon and Tue. Wed and Thur you can wear half sleeves. Fri is business casuals.

Depends in which company you were working. In my job I had freedom to wear half sleeves. It was an Indian IT MNC barring TCS, Infy, Wipro.

So from next week my cubicle life begins at a computer software company .

I had asked the HR during interview if there were any dress codes and he said no .

But since it will be my first day , what do you guys suggest I should wear ?

They gifted me with a campus t-shirt and bag after my interview earlier and the
people themselves came in jeans and that t-shirt for recruitment .

Plus what do you guys suggest to look for at first day of job ?
I will be visiting the company for the first time itself on 1st july.

Thanks !!

Congrats. Feel free to sport a semi formal attire. Specially if there no formal dress code confirmed by HR.

Otherwise you can go by the saying dress for the job you want not the job you have.

In a lot of consultancies it is frowned upon. First day better be safe, and go orthodox. One has to observe and pick up the corporate culture of each organization.

Be formal, do not wear designer torn jeans which has tears at inappropriate places. Don't get noticed the first day and your journey will be pretty smooth :p
There are other ppl in the induction ceremony. Keep in mind they maybe from diff dept's in the company. Imagine the publicity you will get if you stand out.

On a different note, am wondering how many ships @Gannu was allowed to drive during induction

Last edited by a moderator:
Back