What WE the common citizens of India can do for our motherland

Why?
Atleast select the best possible candidate out of those running elections.
I am yet to miss a vote. You not voting is not gona change anything. There lies the problem. Educated people like us sit at home and those uneducated people vote. And their cote is based not on whats in best interest of country or state but completely different thing ;)

Let me put it this way..... most of the politicians who stand for electionsa re crooks..... Whom do you vote for?? what if NONE of them standing for election from your area is a decent fellow???

And say a decent guy stands for election from another area, then will you vote for thyat guys party?? You may.... but in the end, he may not get any good post at all. All the good posts will go to the corrupt guys.

During the elections last year, my dad voted for the Congress in state elections. the congree finally came to power (after an alliance with the biggest goons party JD(S)) but another a$$h0** came to the post of CM. While my dad had originally voted for the Congress coz S M Krishna was the CM. He voted for Cong hoping that Krishna would come back.

but now see what has happened...... the JD(S) promised a lot of sops and help for the rural areas and criticized Krishna for neglecting those areras while concentrating on B'lore and IT.

But now, the city's development has stopped. NOTHING has been done in the rural areas... aprt from a lot of talk and bull$#it.

so, in spite of voting for the congress, my dad is unhappy coz he voted for Krishna and Dharam Singh came to power.....

What use is VOTING???

All i can say is things dosent always go as you want. That dosent mean you should stop trying at all. You or anyone of us is not a king so that he can have things how he wants. We are common people. Together we can do something but not always what we want.

Tavleen Singh said:
Another ‘jehad’ is needed today
BY TAVLEEN SINGH
The government’s fight against ‘communal forces’ is no more than a political fight to keep the BJP out of power.

The scariest thing about the terrorist attack in Ayodhya is the government’s response. To call it namby-pamby would be an understatement. It would be more accurate to describe it as a non-response. The Prime Minister postponed his trip to flood ravaged Gujarat to call an emergency meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Political Affairs and in his usual mild, gentlemanly fashion said the government would deal with terrorism with ‘determination and resolve’.

Well, Sir, thanks a lot but would you be kind enough to explain why since your appointment to the most important job in the country there has been this upsurge in both terrorist and Naxalite violence? Was it because you were dealing with the problem with determination and resolve? If it was then you need to do more.

My view is that the reason why even Khalistani human bombs are suddenly creeping out of the sewers in which terrorists breed, after more than a decade of peace in Punjab, is because the United Progressive Alliance government gives the impression of being a complete pushover. It gives the impression of being the sort of government that would barely be able to respond even if we found ourselves at war.

Terrorism is war. It is likely to be the only war that will be fought in South Asia in the 21st century and it is a war India is losing because the Sonia-Manmohan government has given it less importance than it gives to ‘secularism’.

Its fight against ‘communal forces’ is no more than a political fight to keep the Bharatiya Janata Party out of power but it has taken such precedence on this government’s political agenda that terrorism does not even appear except at the bottom somewhere in very small print. This government signalled its tolerance of terrorism almost from its first moment in office by repealing POTA (Prevention of Terrorism Act). The repeal was designed to win the sympathy of Muslims who – on account of the fact that most terrorist groups currently are Islamic – have suffered more as a result of POTA.

In repealing POTA the prime minister appears to have forgotten that preventive detention under TADA (Terrorism and Disruptive Activities) was first introduced by a Congress government because when Khalistani terrorism was at its height it was impossible to bring it under control using normal laws. Had normal laws been used and normal policing – instead of K P S Gill’s policy of fighting terror with terror – we might never have seen an end to the Punjab problem.

Human rights groups have hounded him ever since without stopping for one moment to consider if it is not a violation of human rights when terrorists kill unarmed civilians, women and children. Human rights groups have an inordinate hold over this government because they are usually leftist in their politics and the Sonia-Manmohan government depends for its survival on sixty Marxist MPs.

Human rights groups have their place but when they begin to influence government policy they become dangerous. Was it their influence that persuaded this government to let Hurriyat leaders like Yaseen Malik and Omar Farooq travel to Islamabad and abuse India and sing the praises of ‘freedom fighters’ like Pakistan’s Information Minister, Sheikh Rashid, who ran terrorist training camps on his farm?

The Prime Minister and Sonia Gandhi have been unusually silent about the purpose of the Hurriyat visit. What was it for? What did we hope to achieve? What did we achieve? And, more importantly, what is this government’s Kashmir policy and what is our Pakistan policy? It is not enough to say we want peace which is all that has been said so far.

Of course we want peace and we want a solution in Kashmir but are we prepared for a solution that amounts to virtually dissolving the borders Kashmir shares with Pakistan?

The Prime Minister has been praised by my more liberal colleagues for having told General Pervez Musharraf that there will be no changes in the borders of India.

But, softening the borders to the point of dissolution amounts to changing them and we appear to be doing this without Pakistan giving up its war against us that goes by the euphemism of terrorism. The human bombs that killed themselves in the attempt to blow up the temple in Ayodhya are believed to have belonged to the Lashkar-e-Tayyaba. For those of you unfamiliar with the murky world of terrorism allow me to explain that this is a Lahore based group that has long been funded by the ISI (Inter-Services Intelligence).

The General, in his image makeover, likes to tell the world that despite supposedly being in the frontline in the war against terrorism he cannot control the terrorist groups that he once nurtured. They are loose cannons and so much their own masters that there have been attempts on his own life.

The truth is that Paksitan’s war against terrorism is as duplicitous as its talk of peace with India. The General has made serious efforts to control those groups responsible for terrorism against America and those groups responsible for terrorism against Pakistan but the Kashmir ‘jehad’ is still on. From our government what we need is a ‘jehad’ against this ‘jehad’ and there are no signs of this happening. If Sonia Gandhi could devote as much time to this jehad as she does to the jehad against ‘communal forces’ there may be some chance of us winning the war against terrorism otherwise we may as well consider it lost. Strange that she should find our own toothless fanatics more dangerous than armed fanatics from across the border.

SOURCE --- http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanherald/jul92005/tavleen.asp

I agree with her 100000%. I admire Manmohan as a brilliant person. But I don't think he is the right person to lead the country. His specialty is Economics. He should have been a FM. We need a powerful person with very clear ideas abt how the country should be run and someone who will not be influenced easily by other corrupt people in power....

The Answer is OBVIOUS..... ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME !!!!

Seriously..... we really need someone more strong.....

Nikhil said:
I am DEFINITELY not voting.... and I am telling everyone to do the same..... but that is the problem. Most of the voters are from the rural areas and are poor.

How will you tell them not to vote??? They will be bribed, cajoled, bullied into voting by the politicians...

see i dont see the possibility of an immidiate change, and yes, my not voting, or for that matter not voting of say a thousand ppl will not matter but when
the number grows, exponentially as it potentially can with ppl 2 ppl contact.
we can hope 2 be recognised by the media and a demand for an option for
a president's rule while voting could be pressed for.

i am sure it is possible, and we desperately need 2 get rid of these @$$ho...

On a side note reservations must end.It is mostly the privileged uncultured castes like the Jats(Jats are OBCs!!!!!) and Yadavs(the caste of Lord Krishna is backward???) who benefit from it.On the other hand most of us forward castes(going from the responses I take it that TE is 80% forward caste,which is a very positive thing) lose out and the truly unprivileged get little or no benefit.And to top it all even anti-national muslims are being given reservations in some states!!!
What are we supposed to do,all of us emigrate to the west?
I went to my bro's counselling today and I can say it was truly revolting to see "lesser" candidates(in all meanings of the word) with much lower ranks get better seats. :mad:
This post will likely be edited or even deleted.If its not,I am happy for TE.
I am sure many here share my feelings,openly or not. ;)

how much important reservation is?????????????????in news i recently heard.....the rajputs r doing andolans......becoz they want reservation for them.................................................lol.................................rajput and reservations...lol....its lik bill gates asking for reservation so that he survive

Thats exactly the point.In some cases,reservation reaches 80%.Who loses?Mostly Pandits,Kshatriyas(thats why in Rajasthan Rajputs and even some pandits are demanding reservation!!!Infact,some "goswami" pandits came close to getting it or perhaps have even got it on the basis that being mere pujaris they were equally backward.LOL.)and other forward castes like the Guptas(Baniyas) etc.

undertaker could have been a lil more diplomatic here. although i share his grief myself,
but the comments were hmmm ... a bit too harsh ...... by the way the provision of financial aid could be and would be better than reservation in any case as anyone would agree that talent must be respected and it should be the only criterion for success except off cource, hard work.

I think all reservations should be stopped. It should be based only on basis of income. Only poor people should get reservations irrespective of what castes they are.

What is the damn use of giving reservations based on caste???

Reservations on economic basis not exceeding 15-20% are certainly not objectionable by any standards.
And remember its that rascal V.P. Singh who implemented the damned "Mandal Commission Report".Indira Gandhi had rightly buried it(she for all her faults had much more sense then her wimp of a father).And irony of ironies-the BJP,the "Brahmin-Baniya" party was supporting V.P. Singh at the time,that they withdrew the support on this issue is another matter,but not before untold damage had been done.

Why has this thread died?? Was going so nicely... :S

Any ways. I would like to place my opinion here. It would be wrong to say that India is not progressing. It is surely progressing. Indians are not condemmed in other advanced countries as much as they were used to. They recognize our potential. The more advanced countries like US and UK are smarter that we think. They know India is rising. US is doing every bit for not allowing India and China to become superpower because it knows that its status as a superpower will be jeoparadised if India is to progress. By helping Pakistan it sees that India doesnt grow economically. If US supplies fighter planes to Pakistan, it is obvious that we would increase our defense budget and thereby minimizing the investment and attention in other areas. US strongly protests to the Indo - Iran gas pipeline. You think US doesnt know that Pakistan is the root cause of terrorism?? US definately knows but would still help it so that India cannot progress. I can prove my point. History is the proof. US supported Afghanistan when Russia (then USSR) attacked Afghanistan. US supplied ammunition to Afghanistan. How else can a small powerless country like Afghanistan can defeat a superpower like USSR? But now we know the consequences. It was from Afghanistan that Bin Laden rose and attacked US. Then US destroyed Afghanistan. Similarly, US now supports Pakistan but I am sure that in future, time will come when US will have to attack Pakistan. So the whole point here is that US knows that Pak is a rouge nation but to serve its purpose US is helping Pak. It is up to India to not to fall in US's trap.

And about the peace process between India and Pakistan, I rub it on my a$$ and throw it in the dustbin. We are never going to solve this problem with talks. I know there will be many people who disagree with me. If it was possible to solve this issue through talks then it should have been solved by now. Then what is the way?? The other possibility is war. But again there is a huge risk in that. If a war breaks out it is highly possible that US will intervine and there is a high probability that world war III will break out. All the dream about developed India, prosperous India will be washed out. This is the main reason why NDA government did not go to war with Pak in 2002-03 after the parliament attack. Now people call them cowards and what not. So again we are back to square one. Neither talks solves the problem, nor war. Frankly I dont see any solution. Does any one has any solution? If not then one should leave the situation as it is. It is better we leave this for God to solve.

Coming to the point about what we can do for our motherland. I think we are doing more than what we think. Dont you think that just by participating in this thread we are doing our little bit of duty of being an Indian? We have more intelligent people than in any other country. Our population, which used to be considerd as a weakness for the progress of our country has now become the strength. What needed to be done is properly lead this huge mass of intelligent, enthusiastic and motivated people in a right direction. We know where we have to get but dont know which path to follow. We need proper direction. Thats where we fail. Though not all, most of our politicians are corrupt and greedy. They care little about India. They never look beyond their lifetime. They dont care how their future generation will live in India. They care only of themselves. It is not that all are corrupt. Many of the politician are good, infact best. But they are forced to bow to the coalition politics. Nikhil, in one of his posts said that he wished that a plane carrying every corroupt and bad politician crashes. Nikhil, May your wish come true. But I would say even if the plane crashed those idiots would survive the crash. I had read this joke somewhere : Question : Who is saved first when a plane carrying Lallo prasad yadav, Mulayam singh and mayawati crashes in arabian sea? Answer: India is saved. :D When everybody knows where the problem lies then why is it difficult to solve? What can be done to solve this issue? Well I am forced to think pessimistically and come to conclusion that nothing can be done. What is going on is the best that can be done. The honourable PM, Manmohan Singh, and some other politicians of his class are trying their best for the progress of India. All that is needed to be done by every Indian is recognizing ones own responsibility as a citizen of India, and also as a citizen of the world and act accordingly. Nothing more can be done or needs to be done.

With this I am conculding my post, but before that I would like to statement made by APJ Abdul Kalam in one of his speeches. I dont remember the exact words but it goes something like this :-
"Dream, dream and dream. Dreams turn into thought and thoughts turn into action and action turns into results."

If any one remembers the exact quote then please tell me.
And please keep this thread alive..atlease until India becomes a super power. :eek:hyeah:

Dude.... don't worry... this thread is not going to die unless people start spamming and the mods close it.

And I think this is very very true....

cybershastri said:
Question : Who is saved first when a plane carrying Lallo prasad yadav, Mulayam singh and mayawati crashes in arabian sea? Answer: India is saved.

Add many others to that list. Dharam Singh, Siddaramaiah(actually all people of JD(S)), Shahabuddin(that a$$##*@%! from Bihar), Narendra Modi, Advani, Uma Bharti, and all the BJP leaders, and all the other small time criminals... oops... I mean politicians.

Only I guess some people from the new generation are better off than the oldies. Rahul Gandhi, Jyotiraditya Scindia and some of them. But the problem is that the older fellows do not allow these chaps to take any initiative.

What we really need is some sort of revolution to take place in India wherein all the people revolt and physically KICK thos b@$***** in the you-know-where and throw them from an aircraft without parachutes.

But the problem here is that it won't happen as most of the voters are illiterate and will not revolt. It is only we, the educated class who can think of such things. But we do not have the required numbers to do anything drastic.

Of course small things can be done. Like during the Mumbai floods, Funky helped two kids who were lost get back home after almost a full day. This is something reallly good.

At the same time, I heard stories of how people were cheated, robbed and looted during the same time.

While we have good samaritans like Funky on one hand, we have cheats on the other hand who don't care abt anybody but themselves and even during such a difficult time looted people.

We need more people like Funky. Not those criminals who will vote AGAINST any change as then they will be brought to book.

And we see so called "civil servants" making money everywhere. Even during floods. Now, Dr.Manmohan Singh(how I wish he had some real power and was not bound by this damn Bureaucracy) has announced 700 Crore Rs relief. How much will actually reach the people( in the form of cash, infrastructure, rebuilding, etc....) remains to be seen.

During last years floods in Orissa, one IAS fellow ate up almost 10 crores for himself. This is ONE MAN. What abt the other civil servants??

So, you see, it is the WHOLE POPULATION OF INDIA which has to do something.....

cybershastri said:
With this I am conculding my post, but before that I would like to statement made by APJ Abdul Kalam in one of his speeches. I dont remember the exact words but it goes something like this :-
"Dream, dream and dream. Dreams turn into thought and thoughts turn into action and action turns into results."

lol, first you should tell our prez to learn the national lanuguage of the country.

Back