Whatsapp: Getting Random Messages/Video calls from International nos.

It's not a crime to get your business promoted by paying.
But its ruining peoples trust. Imagine you visiting such business purely on the basis of such paid positive reviews (yes these days people first walk-through the profile before deciding and investing time/money)
And then you actually experience the harsh reality..
Here the business gets done but hearts and trust broken. And businesses hardly care for few such people..
Even if the businesses are involved in a paid promotion they are not liable for the scam operation behind it.
Then what is digital marketing etc. thing?
For any new product advertised on insta/fb, nobody actually visits on that newly launched unheard product page but the likes etc. are redirected through other xyz dummy pages having crap contents ran in a specific demographics regions.

My good friend is into all this so he explained how this stuff works..

But its ruining peoples trust. Imagine you visiting such business purely on the basis of such paid positive reviews (yes these days people first walk-through the profile before deciding and investing time/money)
And then you actually experience the harsh reality..
Here the business gets done but hearts and trust broken. And businesses hardly care for few such people..
Now this conversation is getting off-topic, but still think of yourself if you're a start-up or let's say you opened a small street food or fast food stall/shop.
You're in an already saturated area. How will you lure customers in your first few weeks to stay afloat?

You will need to price stuff very competitively + need to have an awareness/advertisement program launched (like printing pamphlets) + need to have a few good reviews on any kind of social media/business review site.
It's hard to do the 3rd part when you're fresh. You need a bit of push. You find paid promotions to get that kick start and then you let the real public decide when they come to you.

There are businesses who try to get negative feedback buried in good reviews and keep the paid promotion going, this thread is not about that.

I'm specifically saying that the scam happing where you are asked to like/review a few social media profiles for some money (this part is only to build trust, not the real scam) and then are asked to invest your hard earned money into raffles where you will get +10-25% back. This is where the scammers leave you high and dry. This is the real scam and again, businesses, instagramers and youtubers are not involved or aware about this.

Now this conversation is getting off-topic, but still think of yourself if you're a start-up or let's say you opened a small street food or fast food stall/shop.
You're in an already saturated area. How will you lure customers in your first few weeks to stay afloat?

You will need to price stuff very competitively + need to have an awareness/advertisement program launched (like printing pamphlets) + need to have a few good reviews on any kind of social media/business review site.
It's hard to do the 3rd part when you're fresh. You need a bit of push. You find paid promotions to get that kick start and then you let the real public decide when they come to you.

There are businesses who try to get negative feedback buried in good reviews and keep the paid promotion going, this thread is not about that.

I'm specifically saying that the scam happing where you are asked to like/review a few social media profiles for some money (this part is only to build trust, not the real scam) and then are asked to invest your hard earned money into raffles where you will get +10-25% back. This is where the scammers leave you high and dry. This is the real scam and again, businesses, instagramers and youtubers are not involved or aware about this.
Nop I will never opt for such fake reviews and ratings. I will be happy to wait and have an honest opinion on our services and menus. In fact such real reviews only help you to make your product better and truly cater to the customers demands and taste preferences.

But imagine someone esp. a professional visiting you by just looking at such fake reviews and actually getting pissed-off and then do the same ranting on zomato/insta or on platforms particularly for such type of product. He too can easily sense that the reviews are nowhere even near to 2 stars.

Last edited:
But imagine someone esp. a professional visiting you by just looking at such fake reviews and actually getting pissed-off and then do the same ranting on zomato/insta or on platforms particularly for such type f product. He too can easily sense that the reviews are nowhere even near to 2 stars.
That's my point, then they get what they deserve.

There are also genuine people/businesses who want promotion for their hard work or investments they made hence paid promotion is not a crime.

What you did was put up a bad review without actually verifying physically if the place was indeed bad or not. You took out your frustration of not getting the promised amount of money for your fake review on the business. IMO the best way is to delete the review if that option is available. In that way, no harm is done to a genuine business just looking for some traction.

What you did was put up a bad review without actually verifying physically if the place was indeed bad or not. You took out your frustration of not getting the promised amount of money for your fake review on the business. IMO the best way is to delete the review if that option is available. In that way, no harm is done to a genuine business just looking for some traction.
I already mentioned this bro...

"I analyzed the pattern and just in span of 3 weeks, 4-5 nos. sent me the exact same restaurants location asking to post positive reviews in return of Rs. 150 to 350 bucks.
And you wont believe, when I went through those restaurants reviews, more than 150+ 5 star positive reviews with 40%+ same randomly copy pasted reviews"

And if you still think I'm ruining their biz I'm completely fine with it. Its not me but themselves to be blamed for asking for paid reviews when those persons have not even visited that place and tasted their cuisines.

Anyways, its not your biz nor mine so lets leave this topic. As per my best research an stand I did what I felt was right and if I wouldn't have done it someone else would have definitely done it today or tomorrow..

Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

For me it was a middle aged man standing beside a mango tree (In his profile pic). His face was clearly visible but my attempts to trace him were futile. :bag:
He would simply initiate video calls with tapes on his cam. Although I never saw anything except darkness, I could always hear him breathe rather heavily. No idea why he wanted to see me. :grimacing:
He would video call me every time I unblocked him. Such dedication!

For me it was a middle aged man standing beside a mango tree (In his profile pic). His face was clearly visible but my attempts to trace him were futile. :bag:
He would simply initiate video calls with tapes on his cam. Although I never saw anything except darkness, I could always hear him breathe rather heavily. No idea why he wanted to see me. :grimacing:
He would video call me every time I unblocked him. Such dedication!
Tell him to use Omegle. :p

---------------
@Agnes L

Can I suggest a feature for Truecaller?

Many folks here including me have 'Block numbers not in the phonebook' turned on. Could TC add a feature where we whitelist incoming calls by name? (which appears on TC caller ID) I would like to receive a call if the name has, say, 'Amazon' or 'Uber' in it even if that number is not in the phonebook.

Currently, I have to go into settings to turn off that option whenever I'm expecting a delivery. That's a lot of work. Alternatively, you can have this 'Block number not in the phonebook' toggle as a widget or a tile in the notification panel.

Last edited:
Update: sent my payment info on telegram. Awaiting funds and they said when I get them I'll be given more tasks. So I did not yet reach the "high stakes"/"prepaid tasks" stage.
I was getting many random messages on WhatsApp about these things. Today I got myself involved in one, and the person on WhatsApp gave me some Telegram link to contact. I did so, and after many messages back and forth, I received the first task, and surprisingly, after completion, they did pay me for it.

Then I did some more and more, and I reached the "high stakes/prepaid tasks" stage where they were asking me to deposit funds to get extra cashback.

Screenshot_20230922-182859_Telegram.png

Since then, I've stopped responding to them; they're repeatedly calling and messaging me on Telegram about it. Feeling bad to have scammed the scammer. Should I pay back the money I received from them?

I was getting many random messages on WhatsApp about these things. Today I got myself involved in one, and the person on WhatsApp gave me some Telegram link to contact. I did so, and after many messages back and forth, I received the first task, and surprisingly, after completion, they did pay me for it.

Then I did some more and more, and I reached the "high stakes/prepaid tasks" stage where they were asking me to deposit funds to get extra cashback.

View attachment 178600

Since then, I've stopped responding to them; they're repeatedly calling and messaging me on Telegram about it. Feeling bad to have scammed the scammer. Should I pay back the money I received from them?
Well, thats how they start initially by gaining your trust by offering you few bucks and then asking to deposit in bulk and vanish..
No need to pay back..
In fact I would had bargained on their deposit scheme. and looted them..

Last edited:
Well, thats how they start initially by gaining your trust by offering you few bucks and then asking to deposit and vanish..
No need to pay back..
In fact I would had bargained on their deposit scheme..
Okay, so I've blocked them both on WhatsApp and Telegram for now. Let's see if they contact me again with another number/ID.

Okay, so I've blocked them both on WhatsApp and Telegram for now. Let's see if they contact me again with another number/ID.
You could've tried your luck with initial small deposits. They want you to believe if you invest lakhs you'll get them back.
Anyways, even I didn't go any further than this. It's risky.

Be happy with what you got.

what tasks do they give? in newspapers, i've read that they ask to like youtube videos or create reviews or some such things first.

Back