Storage Solutions Where to buy SATA 6Gb/s cable?

BikeAdvice

Disciple
I have an intel dh67bl b3 mobo and 2x corsair force 3 ssd which supports SATA 3. Now I am in need of Sata III 6Gb/s cables... I couldn't find it in theitdepot, ebay or any of the usual places where TE members buy tech.

I found some on amazon.com but I want to know if there are any other options.

TIA!

BikeAdvice said:
I do not think so. SATA 3 cables are costly and why would it be on the market?

Because people are gullible and given the number of posts up here, it can be safely deducted that you all ate up marketing bull$#17 with eagerness.

Please read about the SATA connectivity before coming up with "your opinion".

myth said:
Because people are gullible and given the number of posts up here, it can be safely deducted that you all ate up marketing bull$#17 with eagerness.

Please read about the SATA connectivity before coming up with "your opinion".

I did do some research before deciding to buy. Wikipedia says:

"The newer speeds may require higher power consumption for supporting chips, although improved process technologies and power management techniques may mitigate this. The later specification can use existing SATA cables and connectors, although it was reported in 2008 that some OEMs were expected to upgrade host connectors for the higher speeds."

But just wikipedia was not enough.

Here's what Serial ATA says in their white paper.

SATA 6Gb/s Cabling

"In the transition to SATA 6Gb/s, it will be important to use highquality cabling.

Problems may be related to the use of cables made from marginal materials that

perform at the edges of SATA 3Gb/s tolerances, which could become a failure point at

the faster 6Gb/s signal rates. SATAIO therefore recommends that only high quality

cables and connectors be utilized for SATA 6Gb/s
. "

I do not expect the Rs.10 red SATA cable available at my local retailer to do the job of 6Gb/s.

I do not see the need to be rude in this forum. I did not disrespect your opinion. I just said "I don't think so". Chillax man... life ain't that bad.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Is this right?

sata6gb.jpg

How To Identify SATA 6Gb/s Cable

any high quality sata cable would do the 6gbps speed

its not opinion, but known fact :)

their are many such threads on OCN

do search and i hope i helped you :)

You're going off. High quality materials when used will obviously help in reducing signal attenuation. This applies to every interface that exists on this planet. This, however, does not mean that a SATA III specification requires a separate cable at all. This is a marketing tactic used to play around with gullible people. The same way that happens with HDMI. The only difference between the cables are the quality of the materials and as a result of better quality there is some improvement in signal strength.

Before you proceed, I implore you to go ahead and buy that shiny & expensive SATA III cable and test it out yourself. You will only find a meagre difference. Don't expect your hard drive to immediately double in performance. It doesn't have any physical difference other than quality of materials.

Also, if you'd read the comments from the web-page you just quoted there are a lot more people saying the same. However, if nobody gets the point then I see great earnings in starting a cable manufacturing company of my own. I'll write down " Super Awesome High-Speed & High Quality Connection Interfaces " and hope people will believe me. $_$

Yes, they would. Rs.420/- seems steep though. All you need to take into consideration is the length of the cable and a reputed brand-name attached to it. However, if you can inspect the cables prior to making the purchase then any cable that feels durable, matches the interiors, has the preferred connector head(straight/angled) will get the job done. Metal clips are an added advantage.

Now educate others!!!

To the OP, after reading what you have posted, :facepalm:, but you realized the truth, at least before jumping for a stupid marketing catchword. And its the same for HDMI, too.

My solution : If you bought any new machines to assemble yourself, it is very likely that you would have recieved a 6Gbps cable. I have 2 in my case, got with my Gigabyte board. So do check out your machines. It might be connected to a SATA II/III HDD which might not even be reaching the upper limits of the original SATA (I) spec. ;)

Back