Where to get good coffee beans

I felt so too about Blue Tokai. Might explore Devans as option. Which is the closest to Attikan if you can suggest
Tell me what type of coffee you like. I've tried their 5-6 coffees. In strong coffee I like the viennesse blend (in espresso machine) . Well balanced is their special blend in French press or aeropress. Actually taste varies from person to person. So it will take some time. The best thing was that earlier they used to sell in 100 gm packs too. So I used to order 2-3 different types of coffee and experiment. Now the packing is 250 gm minimum. I'm a long time customer of Devan's 4-5 years. In these years they only disappointed me twice. The latest was with last order after the lockdown. The coffee was not that fresh. I assume it was a bit old stock.

I LOVE Devans Monsoon Malabar. In fact going to order a taster (of their MM) from Blue Tokai and do some A/B testing.

I'm actually considering changing brewing methods completely. A bit of Nanopresso fatigue.

I have hooked on to brewlife coffee, they are based out of Bangalore, the coffee is highly customizable.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience Blue Tokai is overrated and overpriced. Devans offers pretty good quality stuff at right price. I have Aeropress, frenchpress and a Delonghi Dedica 685. For manual brewing I like the french press best.
Yeah, didn't enjoy the Blue Tokai variants as much. Tried Dope Coffee (Durgamadhav Medium) and it was just about okay. Picked up the medium roast trial pack from KCRoasters and started with Kelagur medium which still doesn't seem to be matching up to the tasting note mentioned on the pack but have to experiment a bit more with the grind/water mix in the French Press.

Tell me what type of coffee you like. I've tried their 5-6 coffees. In strong coffee I like the viennesse blend (in espresso machine) . Well balanced is their special blend in French press or aeropress. Actually taste varies from person to person. So it will take some time. The best thing was that earlier they used to sell in 100 gm packs too. So I used to order 2-3 different types of coffee and experiment. Now the packing is 250 gm minimum. I'm a long time customer of Devan's 4-5 years. In these years they only disappointed me twice. The latest was with last order after the lockdown. The coffee was not that fresh. I assume it was a bit old stock.
Stumbled on Devans by this post. Will give them a try but what what grind should I order for my Philips basic coffee machine ?

Oh....but won't it be too fine ? I mean I order the 'Coffee Filter' variant and similar from blue tokai/flying squirrel etc. but even they pass through the Philips filter in small quantity.

Used to be okay with my basic Philips coffee machine which comes with a plastic filter mesh part. Some very small amount of powder would pass through but nothing that bothered me.

nothing that bothered me.
This... this is the part ! I get them at bottom of my cup everytime then I think maybe I'll get another grind to experiment and when the time comes to order then I go in loop thinking what if it turns out & bad and then I move to "Meh... doesn't bothers me much" :smile:

Silver Oak Blend time. Used regular home water for one "shot" and Aquafina for another. Huge difference. (Yeh, the Aquafina one was better). This definitely has some more fruity sweetness to it. Not burnt or bitter after taste. All that conditioning that coffee needed to be bitter is now being worked on as we speak.

I make approx 180 ml of coffee in Philips drip coffee maker. Coffee used is 14-16 gms for dark roasts and slightly more for lighter ones. I don't put the carafe right after switching on the machine, instead let the coffee brew in dripped water for say about 5 mins and then allow it to pass through else I find my coffee lacking in body. Earlier when I used to brew 2-3 cups then the regular method used to work fine but for a single cup, I feel the brewing time is too little hence improvised it as such. How do you guys brew your's especially the drip coffee maker owners?

Dhak Blend - The best imho of the 3 so far. Tastes way better as an actual shot as opposed to an Americano. Not too bitter.

So now IG is bombarding me with coffee ads and my god there are atleast 20 different roasters, all with very similar marketing. Blue Tokai pricing is actually ok when compared to the others. Devan's still wins on costing though, just that if you aren't in Delhi you have to plan 4-5 days in advance before you run out.

Just wondering if there would be any health related issue with instant coffee. I don't have any machine. I use Bru ₹10 and Nestle Everyday milk powder 1 tablespoon each for half cup and 2 small Sugarfree Natura pellets as sweetner.

Just wondering if there would be any health related issue with instant coffee. I don't have any machine. I use Bru ₹10 and Nestle Everyday milk powder 1 tablespoon each for half cup and 2 small Sugarfree Natura pellets as sweetner.
Shouldn't be anything on 'instant' specific thing. Apart from it, it might be a good idea to keep consumption in limit for the effects of caffeine on body & long term usage. I tend to give my coffee consumption a break after 2-3 months of continuous usage for a month or so and it feels good when I get back again

Just bought the Timemore Chestnut C2 Grinder. Wow, already a huge difference with the Nanopresso. Too bad I can't have more than 3 coffee/shots a day. Will take a while to dial everything in.

Just bought the Timemore Chestnut C2 Grinder. Wow, already a huge difference with the Nanopresso. Too bad I can't have more than 3 coffee/shots a day. Will take a while to dial everything in.
I bought something similar which claimed of having a Burr Grinder from Ali may years ago. Needless to say it lasted few months and was of poor quality.

Any difference with Hario Grinders that come in similar range..

I bought something similar which claimed of having a Burr Grinder from Ali may years ago. Needless to say it lasted few months and was of poor quality.

Haven't used the Hario and this is my first experience with any type of coffee grinder. From some of my research, the Hario has ceramic burrs and this has steel burrs. Also this is much quicker and gives you a more even grind. Its still Day 1 so let's see how this goes.

Infact, I even "reground" some coarser stuff that I had and it tasted better and I didn't have any acid reflux.

Ofcourse this has added another step on making coffee so I have no idea how much I'll love the process on the bad/lazier days

Before you buy an expensive grinder, try the spice grinder attachment in kitchen mixers. It isn't really as bad as the burr grinder salesmen would like you to believe. I have used the spice grinders with ok results. Experiment with time and speed

Don't take my word for it. Here is Amrican kitchen's review

Last edited:
Back