Where to purchase LAN/Ethernet cables?

napstersquest

Thread Police
Adept
I will be pulling them through concrete walls, replacing existing co-axial and telephone lines (might be relevant, hence added).

Will be going with CAT6A/CAT7 for 10G when I upgrade in future (Don't want to replace cables again).

Do you guys know any distributors/suppliers that can help me here? I need them colour coded per room.

Quantities:
25m each for 3 colours, 60m for one colour.
If difference between CAT6A and CAT7 is not too much, then CAT7 is fine otherwise will stick with CAT6A (shielded).

Will prefer copper over CCA.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Location Pune(Maharashtra)

Last edited:
u can visit a local shopkeeper , who sells peripherals . u can get it cheaper there and also the cable are labelled ur desire CAT series and desired length.
i got a CAT 7 14feet cable @ 250 rs and it is of great quality

Locally they only sell d link CAT cables. You can get these at most electrical shops these days. It's expensive in the shops.

I recently purchased this > FEDUS Cat6 Ethernet Cable, 100 Meter High Speed 550MHZ / 10 Gigabit Speed UTP LAN Cable, Network Cable Internet Cable RJ45 Cable LAN Wire, Patch Computer Cord Gigabit Category 6 Wires for Modem, Router https://amzn.eu/d/br1Gf7X

Happy with my purchase. Do keep in mind that CAT 6 cable is thicker than CAT5. A standard ¾ inch conduit can contain at max 3 of these. If shielded then only 2. And I'm not even talking pulling. It'll be impossible to pull 3 cat6 cables if there's a bend. If you are laying the conduit then get 1 inch conduits.

Also , optionally, rather than buying different coloured cables you can use network cable tester to distinguish between the cables.

You don't need to have a dedicated telephone cable if there's no space. Cat cable can be used for it.

You don't need to have a dedicated telephone cable if there's no space. Cat cable can be used for it.
That is the plan.

Happy with my purchase.
I did see those, have contacted the manufacturer and they are providing discount as compared to amazon. TECH-X CAT6A, CAT7 and Fedus CAT6 are manufactured by same company.

Do you think unshielded ones would be fine for 10G in the future?
I am not laying new conduit, just pulling through the old one. Will have to check if it's ¾ inch or 1 inch. Laying new conduit will be difficult w.r.to family approval.

I was able to pull CAT5E by attaching it to coax at one end and pulling the coax.
Plan is to pull 1x CAT6A with coax, and then pull 2x CAT6A with the first one. So 2 ports in place of 1 coax. Similarly replacing telephone wire with 1x CAT6A.

I did see those, have contacted the manufacturer and they are providing discount as compared to amazon. TECH-X CAT6A, CAT7 and Fedus CAT6 are manufactured by same company.
Right. It's the same company.

Do you think unshielded ones would be fine for 10G in the future?
I think they should be fine as long as there's no electrical interference.

I was able to pull CAT5E by attaching it to coax at one end and pulling the coax.
Did it have 4 copper cables instead 8? Those are thin.

Usually, 3/4 inch conduit are used for the electricals. That's a standard. Some people use 1/2 inch conduit for signal cables. If you are going to pull it yourself then do use some oil for lubrication. And you can pull 2 cat cables using coaxial cable directly. Coaxial cables are very strong.

Finolex cables are of good quality if you are buying a large spool of it.
cat7 feels unnecessary to me and I'll suggest also running single mode fiber everywhere. Its overkill now but it can support much much higher bandwidth and its not that expensive. I would probably only use cat7 if I need poe and 10gbit to access points but that's all a few years away.

Finolex cables are of good quality if you are buying a large spool of it.
cat7 feels unnecessary to me and I'll suggest also running single mode fiber everywhere. Its overkill now but it can support much much higher bandwidth and its not that expensive. I would probably only use cat7 if I need poe and 10gbit to access points but that's all a few years away.
Can you share links to all the equipment necessary for single mode fiber? I have not seen it being implemented, and can give it a thought.

CAT7 cables are horrible to work with. Hell, I was planning on getting CAT6A cables for my house but switched to CAT6 due to how much more difficult they were to work with.

I'd suggest sticking to CAT6A. As mentioned above Finolex makes some good cables, you can see a list of distributors here - https://finolex.com/dealership/

Can you share links to all the equipment necessary for single mode fiber? I have not seen it being implemented, and can give it a thought.
1. Fiber cables. There are two types here. Multi mode and single mode. Single mode is just better but slightly pricier compared to multi mode fiber.
2. To connect it to a machine, You either need SFP units or you can use converters like this, https://www.tp-link.com/in/business-networking/accessory/mc210cs/'

Quite a few switches have SFP ports and there are SFP PCIe cards. For the SFP unit, You can use stuff like this https://www.amazon.in/Syrolink-Model-GLC-LH-SMD-Single-1310NM/dp/B0BSDWB499/
In a few years, The price of 2.5gbit/5gbit/10gbit SFP units will come down which should make this more economical. Another perhaps more reliable/trusted (international) website for buying fiber equipment is https://fs.com

I will be pulling them through concrete walls, replacing existing co-axial and telephone lines (might be relevant, hence added).

Will be going with CAT6A/CAT7 for 10G when I upgrade in future (Don't want to replace cables again).

Do you guys know any distributors/suppliers that can help me here? I need them colour coded per room.

Quantities:
25m each for 3 colours, 60m for one colour.
If difference between CAT6A and CAT7 is not too much, then CAT7 is fine otherwise will stick with CAT6A (shielded).

Will prefer copper over CCA.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Location Pune(Maharashtra)
I don't know about Pune but in my place (Delhi), areas which sell computer parts generally have networking shops which have these big bundles of cables kept for selling and they sell it by metre. So any such hubs nearby should have these cables available.
Though I'm not sure I've seen them keeping colour coded cables. Since you have a decent size requirement, do reach out to sellers on IndiaMart, I've often found products at cheap prices from direct suppliers.

You can try some vendors in "Electronic market" in Bhdhwar peth who sells all types of cables with cheap rates. I bought Dlink Cat6 cables from there 10 years back when i laid these in my house.
There are two shops who particularly sells all NW related HW (You may need faceplates, Keystone jack, etc). I don't remember name but they are on the road which start from AB chowk.

+1 This will be future proof as well. At least you can use these cables for WAN connections coming to your house. most of the connections now days are on fiber, it will be easy to extend these connections to convenient place or till network devices. I am regretting of not having installed fiber cables at that time.

Ended up ordering from the same manufacturer (Fedus/Tech-X cables on Amazon). If anyone needs their contact, ping me.
Got CAT7 Copper for ₹40/m and CAT6A (not CCA) Copper for ₹35/m. +GST
If you are crimping your own cables, would appreciate if you can tell me where you buy your RJ45 connectors. Used to get these from Aliexpress and the ones I get locally now are not too bad either. Still, considering a step up in quality, if available and reasonable. Thank you!

If you are crimping your own cables, would appreciate if you can tell me where you buy your RJ45 connectors. Used to get these from Aliexpress and the ones I get locally now are not too bad either. Still, considering a step up in quality, if available and reasonable. Thank you!
Got them from same manufacturer. Pretty good quality.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-05-14-18-14-56-23_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-05-14-18-14-56-23_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 81
Here you go
This I believe is not a pass-through connector?

Had actually ordered pass-through connectors with them (FEDUS), and was mistakenly sent these (the model with the ground prong). To their credit, they were quick to send the replacement, but the pass-through connectors do not have a ground prong (at least the ones they sell). So, anyone buying from them - it helps to double-check if the connectors have the ground prong and/or are pass-through.

Also, I had ordered a length of CAT7 while being aware that this is not a recognised standard (in the mistaken belief that CAT7 > CAT6A, which it generally is not). The CAT7 cables sold by them are fine for my purpose, but there are at least a couple of things that make it really hard to crimp:
1. The wires are stranded.
2. In CAT7 cables, each pair is shielded individually, and there is again another outer layer of shielding for all the pairs.

If still buying CAT7, use pass-through connectors to make things slightly more bearable.

Back