Car & Bike Which bike to buy?

sunny27

Stig's Indian Cousin!!!
Skilled
I need a bike for my daily commuting from my residence to my office (approximately 30-40km in heavy traffic as well as open roads) and have a budget of 50-60k and need to get the bike in the next one week:-
The bikes I am currently looking at are:-
[1] Yamaha Gladiator SS 125 (with disc brakes and accessories) on road - Rs.59805
[2] Yamaha SZ-R (with disc brakes and accessories) on road - Rs.63279
[3] Suzuki Slingshot SCD+ (with disc brakes and accessories) on road - Rs.55336
[4] Honda Shine 125cc (with disc brakes and accessories) on road - Rs.60862
[5] Honda Unicorn (with disc brakes and accessories) on road - Rs.69472

I don't really like Hero Honda and TVS. I need a good balance of mileage and performance. I want the most reliable and low maintenance two wheeler for myself. Kindly recommend and if possible do give me your insights/reviews on these bikes. I have never owned a two wheeler in my life before. I wanted a car but traffic, lack of parking and rising fuel prices have made me go for a two wheeler.
Thanks in advance.

^ shine was the 1st name which popped in my head after reading the 1st few lines.

But the op seems ready to spend 70 k and gs150 is boss.

where are u based ? just wanted to know which place are the on-road prices for ...

I am also looking at a bike in the same price-range ... have u considered pulsar 135 ls .. Its 56K ex-showroom(~SZ-R price on-road) and is better than many 150cc out there .. For eg. sz-r is 12.1 ps while 135ls is 13.5 despite having a 135 cc engine and sz-r will give u around 45-50 kmpl while pulsar gives 55-60 kmpl ..so its a win-win situation.... I have been looking at various options from the past 2-3 weeks and yet to find anything better than 135ls :no:

sunny27 said:
I am leaning towards the Yamaha Gladiator. No one prefers Yamaha?

its decent but the suzuki gs 150 is worth it if you are willing to spend. i recently tried the gs150 for a day[cousins bike] and i was surprised how big a difference was between the pulsar dtsi 150[ i got this in 2009] and gs150.

if you are willing to spend moolah look at the gs150 and maybe the unicorn,but gs150 is definitely better.you can also check on xbhp if you like.

I am going for something which costs between 50 and 60k which would mean sticking to 125cc/135cc/some 150cc bikes. I have ruled out Bajaj bikes because of their poor build quality. I spoke to a few people who own the Bajaj Pulsar 135 and I rode it as well. The owners have confirmed that it has poor build quality and when I rode the bike, the ride wasn't so comfortable. The maintenance is equally high. I don't like Hero Honda and when I went to the showroom I found that the pricing is way higher than brands like Yamaha and Suzuki for an equivalent/worse performing bike (Glamour which is close to 61~63k with disc brakes)

I need a bike for daily commuting, it should be comfortable and easy to handle, low on maintenance and high on mileage. I keep leaning towards Yamaha because of all the bike owners I have known, the ones with Yamaha bikes have spoken about its reliability and performance as well as handling. Yamaha bikes are known to have solid build quality and can last for ages.

BTW I am based in Ahmadabad.

I need a bike for daily commuting, it should be comfortable and easy to handle, low on maintenance and high on mileage.
look no further and buy Honda Unicorn... I own this bike and i can say that this is a very low maintainence bike... gives good mileage and has great build quality... And yes Baja bikes are really not reliable... Bajaj uses crappy engines in their bike and after 1 year you would see a sudden drop in mileage... This is coming from a person who used to own a Bajaj Pulsar 150... Honda Unicorn is my second bike and after buying it i am more than happy... See if you can extend your budget till 70k then unicorn or dazzler is your best bet... But if you can't then buy Honda Shine or Honda Stunner... Only new yamaha bikes like FZ-16, FZ-S, R15 and Fazer have better build quality... The old Yamaha bikes dont have good build quality... Plus even the new Yamaha 150cc bikes dont give good mileage...

unicorn has a waiting of ~1 yrs as honda has virtually stopped producing it in favor of dazzler so rule that out ,,, and if u are a no for pulsar 135 then the next best is SZ-R if u are fine with ~45 kmpl mileage otherwise go for ss125/shine .

The Yamaha SS125 and the SZ-R are new models. I got mixed reviews for Honda Shine. There are 3 - 4 people in my office who own the Honda Shine some tell me that there are reliability or build quality issues. However one of them got his bike second hand 4 months back for 22k (Honda shine) and he says that the bike is an absolute charm. I was told yamaha SS 125 gives mileage of 65-70 kmpl and the SZ-R gives mileage of around 60-65 kmpl. Anyone can throw light on the Yamaha bikes mentioned here?

I was told yamaha SS 125 gives mileage of 65-70 kmpl and the SZ-R gives mileage of around 60-65 kmpl

I dont think that those bikes would give 65 to 70KMPL mileage... Actually even a 100CC bike wouldn't give you 70KMPL mileage... People who say that 150cc bikes give 60KMPL mileage then they really need a reality check... My unicorn gives me 45KMPL @ riding the bike at 60KMPH constantly... You can expect max 50 to 53KMPL from a 125cc bike... People who say that 125cc bikes give above 60KMPL then i think they really dont know how to test mileage

I will only buy the bikes I have mentioned here:-

[1] Yamaha Gladiator SS 125 (with disc brakes and accessories) on road - Rs.59805

[2] Yamaha SZ-R (with disc brakes and accessories) on road - Rs.63279

[3] Suzuki Slingshot SCD+ (with disc brakes and accessories) on road - Rs.55336

[4] Honda Shine 125cc (with disc brakes and accessories) on road - Rs.60862

I am using shine from over an year and it is a good commuter bike.Gives a mileage of about 50+ in city.Trust me once you get it, you feel that I would have went for 150CC. The reason being if you go with pilion, some times the bike will suffer a little to pull. Also If you go for long trip, I don't think you enjoy much.

FYI: I went for a 600KM trip in a day on my shine with pillion.It can hit 90kmph but you get lot of noise and vibrations.Also Road grip is not that great,as it some times skips a little. ( This is the same with all 125cc bikes and narrow tyre bikes)

If this is a strict City riding bike, go with Shine.

slingshot is cheap but only 8.5 bhp which is even less than twister (9bhp 110 cc)..... ss125 is 11 bhp and sz-r is 12.1 ...so I would suggest u to go for either

Back