Car & Bike Which bike to buy?

Narrowed it down to:-

[1] Yamaha Gladiator SS 125 (with disc brakes and accessories) on road - Rs.59805

[2] Yamaha SZ-R (with disc brakes and accessories) on road - Rs.63279

get sz-r if u fine with 40-50 mileage .... ss125 if u want 50+ mileage and are fine with not getting a 150cc ...the price diff. is not big enough to be a deciding factor IMO :)

@OP If u are low maintenance and good mileage go for Honda.

Yamaha isn't a good choice if u are seeking good mileage.

Say NO to bajaj/pulsars.

Anyway, take a test drive of the bike before you buy it.Just don't believe on reviews and buy it.Better test and then buy it.

like i mentioned earlier if u have the money get the unicorn ull get the mileage of the 125ers with a powerful 150 engine
if u dont get the SZ-R instead, dont get a125er as u have long journeys to commute the 125 will be a drag and ull fin it slow with vibrations at speed above 60ish.

Get any decent 150cc bike and you should be set.

I bought the Yamaha SZ 153cc (no disc brakes, no self start) for Rs.58000 [all inclusive] on road. Got it in black. Didn't opt for the disc brake version for the following reasons:-

[1] The disc brake in the SZ-R is much powerful than the one fitted in a Pulsar 135 LS - I lost control badly when I tested the disc brake rather enthusiastically on the SZ-R

[2] Rs.58000(SZ) vs 65875(SZ-R) -- Massive price difference between the Disc brake and non disc brake version

This is how the bike looks:-

[attachment=9133:15757.attach]

[attachment=9134:15758.attach]

This is the product page link:-

Products | India Yamaha Motor Pvt. Ltd.

Attachments

• black_big.jpg
    black_big.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 124
  • yamaha_sz_5.jpg
    yamaha_sz_5.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 135
congrats and hope u didnt injure yourself , your first vehicle bought with your own sweat and well what not, post a review as u usually do, when is the delivery ?

Hades. said:
I dont think that those bikes would give 65 to 70KMPL mileage... Actually even a 100CC bike wouldn't give you 70KMPL mileage... People who say that 150cc bikes give 60KMPL mileage then they really need a reality check... My unicorn gives me 45KMPL @ riding the bike at 60KMPH constantly... You can expect max 50 to 53KMPL from a 125cc bike... People who say that 125cc bikes give above 60KMPL then i think they really dont know how to test mileage

I am getting 52 Kmpl with speed of 60-70 Kmph on Highways
and in Mumbai, Andheri's bumper-to-bumper traffic i get about 45-48 kmpl

I was getting 53kmpl on my gs150 (kept record of total fuel bought for the first 3k kms and calculated from avg when it went to reserve). I'm a total noob when it comes to riding a bike and I'm sure I've shifted gears and used the clutch at inappropriate places though I've never really ridden the bike hard. If I'm able to get that mileage in Kerala then I think on an open highway a good rider could manage 60kmpl

Changed my mind at the last moment and got me a Pulsar 135LS. Took delivery today. Here are the pics:-

The bike is new, the rain and wet slushy roads made it all dirty.

Reasons for the change:-

[1] Yamaha SZ has TVS tyres - nuff said!!! Pulsar 135 comes with factory fitted MRF Zappers

[2] Yamaha SZ offers 45-55 KMPL vs Pulsar's 65-72 KMPL (verified with people who own it)

[3] Greater number of optional extras and additional features in the Pulsar over the Yamaha SZ

[4] Better pickup and performance in the Pulsar over the Yamaha

[5] Cheaper spare parts for the Pulsar as compared to the Yamaha's expensive spare parts

[6] Better brakes in the Pulsar as compared to the Yamaha

[7] The Pulsar looks better than the Yamaha and is built more solidly. The plastics on the Yamaha SZ are flimsy at places

sunny27 said:
Changed my mind at the last moment and got me a Pulsar 135LS. Took delivery today. Here are the pics:-

The bike is new, the rain and wet slushy roads made it all dirty.

Reasons for the change:-

[1] Yamaha SZ has TVS tyres - nuff said!!! Pulsar 135 comes with factory fitted MRF Zappers

[2] Yamaha SZ offers 45-55 KMPL vs Pulsar's 65-72 KMPL (verified with people who own it)

[3] Greater number of optional extras and additional features in the Pulsar over the Yamaha SZ

[4] Better pickup and performance in the Pulsar over the Yamaha

[5] Cheaper spare parts for the Pulsar as compared to the Yamaha's expensive spare parts

[6] Better brakes in the Pulsar as compared to the Yamaha

[7] The Pulsar looks better than the Yamaha and is built more solidly. The plastics on the Yamaha SZ are flimsy at places

So, Finally you got trapped.

The thing that attracts people to buy a Pulsar is its dirt cheap when you compare it with a similar featured Honda/suzuki/HH/Yamaha.

[2] If you are expecting 65+ mileage on Pulsar 135( i guess its the 4 valve LS model) ,then keep on dreaming. You won't get even 55+.Forget about 65+. It would have been better had you got a Honda Unicorn,Stunner/Suzuki or even an HH CBZ Extreme/Hunk.

[3]Better features in the sense ? Digital display,Back LED ?

[4] Better performance ? Really ? The bike's engine vibrates between 72-80 kmph.

If you still have the option to withdraw , do that.
A Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha is 10 times better than a crappy Bajaj Pulsar.
6 months back, my friend got Pulsar 135 LS 4 valve and i have used the bike and it sucks big time( when i compare it with Honda/HH/Suzuki).
But if i ask him howz your bike doing buddy ? He would reply, its going great,awesome mileage.(actual mileage is around 52-55,in bangalore)
But deep down his heart even he feels something else.
The thing that motivated him to go for a Pulsar 135cc instead of a Honda Unicorn/Suzuki GS150/HH CBZ/Hunk was the 14k difference in price (here in bangalore)

Firstly Congrats on your new purchase.

I'm not gonna give a sermon on why you chose the p135 as i believe u did it on a rational basis.

Bajaj bikes are decent . Please don't write it off as crap.Yes it cannot match a honda in terms of overall build quality and robustness. BUT another startling observations is most users that complaint of bajaj as useless are thenmselves careless owners. Yes that is a fact.

Most ppl skip the timely visit to the A.S.S and instead prefer a road side mechanic after 6 month due date.Now if the bike fails they start comparing it to HH/honda reliability!!!!

The things is bajaj bikes are more maintenance intensive after 2 years of ownership and the condition of the bike wrt critical components like engine, drive shaft depend a lot on the care it received in its initial days.

And i can say from experience.In my college days i owned a discover 125. Like most ignorant college guys, i took my bike for granted. Skipped the services, did idiotic mods--result-- the bike sucked after 2 years at just 17000 kms

In contrast when i got my p180ug3 way back in 2008, i took care of her. Now after 37000 Kms of ownership, apart from normal replacements , i have spent nothing.

Just a few tips from my side.

1. Follow all restrictions during the run-in period. Ie. Dont touch the rpm redline in these initial days.Keep it at max near the 4.5-5k rpm level. Vary ur speed.No sudden pickups.Absolutely no trippling :p

2. Never skip the timely servicing. Take the bike earlier if you see urself busy on the proposed date.Btw ur first service is the most imp one.Make sure to get it done properly. Read the manual. This way you know what all is expected to be worked on for each service.

3. Replace components based on time of usage as laid down in ur manual.

So congrats again and lets the miles of pleasure roll on. Ride safe and ride smart.

Congrats Sunny, dont worry about bajaj haters here, your bike will be fine if you get it serviced on timely intervals as given in the manual, enjoy :)

sunny27 said:
^^ What is trippling?

Riding with 2 pillion riders :D

If they are endowed with massive bottoms, u will be sitting on the tank while they take up the seat. :p

jokes apart, dont stress ur engine/clutch in these initial days of the run-in period

sunny27 said:
^^ What is trippling?

If you are riding with 2 pillion riders

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

G80_gts said:
Riding with 2 pillion riders :D
If they are endowed with massive bottoms, u will be sitting on the tank while they take up the seat. :p
jokes apart, dont stress ur engine/clutch in these initial days of the run-in period

very true. Don't experiment with your bike too much in these early days.
Don't even think of accelerating to 70+ to check whether it vibrates or not. ;) You can check that after 1-2 services.
Ride at an optimum speed (at 45-55),donot exceed this limit during 1st 1500 kms.

Congrats :) ... Mileage returned will be dependent on how you tune the carb, my friend has 135LS and he manage to get 60-65kmpl with little tuning ...

Back