Which city or place sucks the most?

Lawl @ whoever thinks pune sucks.

I am not born or raised in pune.

I am a gujju and I came to pune about a year back without a trace of any thing what i was gonna get.

I came to pune and the first morning the Rickshaw wala tried to rip me apart cause I was at wakad, had to go to aundh and he was asking for 250 bucks cause he saw I was not from pune.

I refused quickly and started walking.

Got another rick in 5 minutes which took me to the nearby flyover for 5 bucks and i got a shuttle from there till parihar chowk for 10 bucks.

I then had to go to Magarpatta City and I had no clue what or where it was.

I left the apartment my friend had and quickly asked an uncle. He was very nice and polite and suggested me not to take a rick. he asked me to take a bus cause it will be cheaper.

I got a bus, seated next to me was a marathi guy (Not the typical ones with that white hat). I just asked him to inform me when we get to Hadapsar and he went ahead and nicely gave a me a tour of the city while we were on the bus. So far good.

I then went and got selected in the company and all shit was taken care of. A nice guy in the office used to live in the same area, took me back home, dropped me at the gate and promised to pick me up the next day. He did and he took me around the whole city, showing things for 3 days on his kinetic. Mind you, the guy was handicapped and had only 1 leg. I really admire and appreciate him because it was he who helped me and that is the sole reason I am still in this city.

Apart from that, if you agree to rick wala's demand for return fare, its your fault. Its human nature to ask for extra. Its your fault you accepted it. I never did and they always agreed to no return fare.

5 Days back, I had to get my mom to the railway station from magarpatta city, where I stay.

The rickwala went by meter, took 105 bucks inclusive of the huge amounts of luggage my mom had which is pretty decent considering the distance and the traffic at 7pm due to the offices.

I loved pune. I loved the hospitable nature of the people. Rickwala were always good with me. I loved the helpful nature of people cause I was never turned down even once. I never had to pay return fare except for the time when I had to go to nigdi once which was like 32 kms from my home.

And understand this.

No matter whom you talk to about your woes, everyone will say to make you feel better. Not that they have been facing that and everyone wants to not get into debate with what is better and what is not.

There have been almost no problems for me in pune. Friendly people all alike. There are problems in each and every city. its upon you to make sure to stay away from them. Its no one's fault if you pay heed to the demands when it was not told to you before you boarded the rick. And if you agreed to the demands and then boarded the rick, you shouldnt whine.

Pune is not dusty neither dirty. One of the cleanest cities I ever managed to visit. Things are organized here if not totally chaotic like mumbai. Apart from that, just to give you a hint about the PMC, I have a highway near my home and I use it everyday to commute to office. There is a bridge there and the road that leads to the bridge get damaged due to the heavy traffic volume everyday. Every month, I see it patched and its happening. they are making sure that even that small pothole on the highway is corrected asap.

I am not saying Pune is the best city in india or something, but it sure is not as HELL bad as you say. So get your facts straight about the place where you live, cause you sure as HELL dont know anything about pune yet.

Awesome post :)

I've not been to Pune but my interaction with ppl from that place over the net has been quite rewarding. I think out of any city in the country, this is one place i would not mind.

I dont really know what, but everyone is always super nice to me no matter what. Right from the security of my flat to the guy at the petrol pump where i sometimes get my tank filled. I always mingle along with people quite well. Dunno what happened to Ronit or the other people who are cursing pune for what not.

Great post Ultima.. wish i cud rep u.. :p

ur post just made me remember pune.. the time i used to spend there wid my friends.. the kalyan bhel.. the FC road hangouts.. damn.. :(

kauzy said:
Great post Ultima.. wish i cud rep u.. :p

ur post just made me remember pune.. the time i used to spend there wid my friends.. the kalyan bhel.. the FC road hangouts.. damn.. :(

Arrey koi nahi.. chutti ka aa jaana wapas :)

Wait a sec. Anybody who is forced to move out of his place of birth to live in a different city, will probably find his host city to be pathetic. That's human nature.

I am a native Bangalorean and love that place despite all its flaws. I don't live there at the moment, and would love to go back for good. As for it being over-crowded, most of that city's population is of the floating type. You'll be amazed to see how empty the streets get when a festival is around the corner!

But wait! I know of a guy from a place called Betul who hates Bangalore since Samosas cost Rs 2/- a plate in Betul while they cost about 10 times that in Bangalore (in a Coffee Day outlet, nevertheless). How do you even talk to guys like these?

Get real people. If you are to live and work in a place, better come to terms with the fact and appreciate what you have rather than crib about what you don't.

About Pune only thing which I hate is lack of spicy food :p I have been to almost all the restaurants and asked for the spiciest dishes over there but nothing comes close to the spicy food we get in North.

Also point to be noted here in Pune if you ask spicy food what you would get is food full of red chilli instead of spices :(

kauzy said:
^^ +1.. they believe more red chillies = more spicy.. :p

+2 Spicy in Pune means teekha.. they don't make it actually spicy which messes up ones stomach. IMO Roxtin the spices are kinda on the ok side... getting the cook to put more spices in will only ruin ur digestive system.

Pune sucks, period. No not for bad roads or buses etc. The city sucks because puneites(is that correct?) did not elect Arun Bhatia last year. Seriously guys people always complain that all the candidates are chors and gundaas but when you get a chance to elect an honest candicate, you blow it.

I rest my case.

Hacker said:
Pune sucks, period. No not for bad roads or buses etc. The city sucks because puneites(is that correct?) did not elect Arun Bhatia last year. Seriously guys people always complain that all the candidates are chors and gundaas but when you get a chance to elect an honest candicate, you blow it.

I rest my case.

1) We never complained about the elective candidates did we?

2) As if the politicians in mumbai are any better. AFAIK, my Thackrey and his company takes out rally for mumbai betterment it seems.

Hacker said:

I rest my case.

LOL! I voted for Mr. Bhatia and I am dead sure that he got more votes in Pune than he would have got in any other city. Bhatia is a nice guy but the problem is he is not well known. I am not talking about upper class/upper middle class educated guys, I am talking about common people. If people don't even know that you are a good guy and contesting the election, how can they vote for you?:bleh:

Elections are a really complicated matter in India, there are many factors people consider while voting. And taking into considerations election fraud, browbeating the voters, bribing them, a good candidate has very little chance to win.

I spent my 4 engineering years in Pune and I loved Pune.

There is nothing wrong in it, absolutely nothing.

Whoever complains should be sent to yerwada jail..lols :D.

I have left pune but I do feel it was one of the best places I lived in.

I am not a Marathi but I never had any issue with people around. You must know not to touch sensitivities of local people, that's it.

Pretty obvious for grown up people who are educated and can rant here :p.

blr_p said:
What do you mean ?

While blufox clarifies, heres my take - It means blending in with the local population in terms of culture, language .etc.

Like they say "What sticks out gets chopped off". A few specific examples, that I have noticed, would be

1) How a lot of North Indian people learn Kannada/Tamil when they move to Bangalore/Madras.
2) How a lot of people take a Hindi/English/<whatever language you know> to Tamil translation book when they visit Madras, just like when they visit France, Spain .etc.
3) How a lot of North Indian people dont crib abt the cuisine in Madras and learn to like it, instead of a searching around for places that serve something similar to their home food.
4) How a lot of people from outside Karnataka participate in local festivities, like the Karnataka Rajyotsava in Bangalore, with much enthusiasm.
5) How a lot of outside people actively take part in the improvement of Bangalore - for instance, by paying road tax for the vehicles that they bring from their own state.

Its just wonderful to see beautiful examples of how people blend in with the host culture. The identity of the host culture is preserved in such cases, while still being cosmopolitan and welcoming to settlers. Its especially true in a place like Bangalore, where almost every settler has learnt Kannada. They blend in so well that they are almost indistinguishable from the local population.

The big point that sticks out in what you said is language. Its guaranteed if you take the trouble to learn the local lingo, you will get treated better than something that dropped out of a dogs behind. Tho this depends largely with where you live and who you deal with. In the smaller cities it would be more necessary than in the larger ones.

Once the langauge is done the rest just falls into place. Its still quite an effort & investment to make tho. The downside is you can't use it after you leave the place.

A non-transferrable skill :(

Appreciating the local food I would have thought would be a lot easier than you made it seem. Each place has its own variations, thing is i find i like something more initially simply because its different than being actually good. The most ordinary places usually have the best food. And thats always been my point of visiting a restaurant rather than the 'ambiance'.

As for the rest of what you said, yes, its certain if one made the effort, chances are good the new place will become a second home, who knows you might not want to ever leave. If you get to that point you've made it :)

Just an observation!
blr_p and Raghu - If there is an iota of doubt on whether North Indians like Chennai/TN style food, visit Adyar Ananda Bhavan hotels @ Bangalore :bleh:

Its always jam packed with people, mostly from North

I for one really like bangalore sambhar(sweetish), though many of my friends absolutely hate it

Back