which console is good for light gaming

I bought a PS3 some months back and started playing GOW3 and UC2. Both these games require
significant amount of time in order for you get good gaming experience. This was not possible due to my busy work schedule . The result is my PS3 has been lying around for some time and is being used only for watching movies. Since you have mentioned you are beginner , you will spend some amount of time getting used to PS3 controller.

We were recently gifted with a Wii . I am hooked . Its a lot of fun to play and I can play say for 10 minutes or 1 hour and still get the good gaming experience.

PS3
*Many Games but expensive
*Blue ray player
*Great graphics in games
*gaming with a lot of detail and real life like experience

Wii
* great for casual gaming
*Fun and extremely addictive
* unique game experience
* Not HD
* Fewer titles available so less choice among games

The PS3 should become more promising for casual gaming in the coming months with the release of move controller. Get a PS3 if you want to be future proof or get a Wii .

guys i already have a PSP.

I know a PS3 is the best machine out there but its not falling in my budget...neither is a Xbox.....PS2 is not bad either by the comments i have received and it fits nicely in my budget and it has pretty good games on it too.....by light gaming i meant was occasional gaming ...so no point in spending oney over PS3 or Xbox ...and the games also being expensive.
And moreover i can always have a PS2 without my folks being much botherd about it as its just 6K ..... ;) and i also need to buy a LCD too....hence real short of cash !

Thanks for your replies...its definately a PS2 for me........just a question....in layman's language....a PS2 conencted to a LCD tv ,would it be of good clarity?? i mean will it be a good experience?

glider said:
a PS2 conencted to a LCD tv ,would it be of good clarity?? i mean will it be a good experience?
From what I have read on the Internet, it will look absolutely pixelated. Just google for "PS2 with HDTV" and you will get a general idea. I guess you are planning to upgrade to a Big TV later on, so you wont be able to use a PS2 on that.

Also keep in mind that PS3 will also play Blueray movies and actually be a media player and not just a gaming console. Same is true for XBOX360 except it doesn't have Blue Ray, but BR is too expensive anyways.

i have a psp for the past 4 years with me and recently got ps2.

In no way it is a lesser console in terms of fun or the library. Cheap titles makes for an added bonus.

It has real good titles like Sly cooper and Jak and Daxter which ll allow you to play fun games for cheap and GOW, RE4 for some serious enthusiast. The library is the biggest and you can choose from so many games, that it wont grow old anytime.

I played on 32" Bravia as well and no it wasnt pixelated.

It was a pleasure playing GOW on even bigger screen but that was it. No HD meant you can play on either your Reg CRT or LCD, only difference being the screen size.

If OP wants,he can get a pre owned ps2 which would be even more cost effective.

I have seen the quality of stuff being provided by the Sony guys, and esp for the extra remote, they are next to pathetic. Buttons are oversized, vibration response is poor and the Opaque cover on LED is now a clear Plastic. Looks outright cheap.

If you need to purchase a second remote, better get it pre owned. Luck be with you to find a mint/packed one.

Same goes for ANY ps2 accessory like memory card etc.

glider said:
guys i already have a PSP.

I know a PS3 is the best machine out there but its not falling in my budget...neither is a Xbox.....PS2 is not bad either by the comments i have received and it fits nicely in my budget and it has pretty good games on it too.....by light gaming i meant was occasional gaming ...so no point in spending oney over PS3 or Xbox ...and the games also being expensive.

And moreover i can always have a PS2 without my folks being much botherd about it as its just 6K ..... ;) and i also need to buy a LCD too....hence real short of cash !

Thanks for your replies...its definately a PS2 for me........just a question....in layman's language....a PS2 conencted to a LCD tv ,would it be of good clarity?? i mean will it be a good experience?
PS2 with LCD has no problems whatsoever. I am using my PS2 with a Sony Bravia 32inch and have absolutely no issues with clarity and quality.

Given your purpose, a PS2 would be a good fit. I would suggest that instead of going for a new one, try to score a used PS2 as its the best value for money. A PS2 with an extra controller, memory card and modding would set you back about 7k but a used one with all of the above should not cost you more than 4.5k. PS2 has a very low fail rate so a good condition second hand PS2 is quite reliable and you anyway lose your warranty if you mod it.

Desecrator said:
So what if it is new? Doesn't mean one has to start from the first generation of consoles to level up LOL. For the record, I did not have a PS2 nor a PSone. I had an 8bit NES for almost a decade and switched to PC later on. And now the PS3 and a fairly okay'ish PC capable of playing most tiles with decent eye-candy.

o never said he has to start from the first generation to way up,do you even know what you are talking about and did you even read what i was replying to?

Going by your posts in this thread and the RDR thread, you seem to be paranoid about what others have to say. On a public forum, others are entitled to their opinions as well - whether or not you like it. So respect it and move on instead of cribbing about it.

going by my posts in RDR thread i'm paranoid..................................lmao

its a public forum and i was discussing,what the problem in that,you are the one who doesn't follow the thread and jumps to conclusions

i was only quaoted the person above as he said PSP would be better just because it will get future games,and if you think the games will be better cause of the futureness then you may join him but its bullshit

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

dhruvrock2000 said:
@Solid_Snake : Dude ... chill ! what i gave was MY opinion and i didnt force it on anyone. Before commenting on anything first go learn the etiquettes of internet forums

go learn etiquettes of internet forums..................rofl

i didn't say you forced your opinion but i was just debating it that just because the games are new they aren't gonna be better which you applied.

and stop shitting everyone,just because i discussed and this is an internet forum doesn't give you the write to post complete bullshit like that

glider said:
Thanks Everyone for the replies....its going to be PS2 for me at present.
Just a little doubt , can i connect the PS2 to an LCD monitor , i have a USB tv tuner card , if that helps.I dont have a tv ,so was plannin to buy a LCD monitor , will that suffice??
Or should i buy those LCD tv/montors??

P.S: I think this secondary question would go in another section...
you can but an lcd monitor and then just buy a VGA/DVI to composite/component converter and use your PS2 on it

JayMathers said:
XBOX 360 will the Best Bang For The Buck, specially after the recent price slash. All the XBOX 360 shipped now to India are JESPER and have maximum of 10% of return (RROD) ratio.

its JASPER

Why XBOX 360 is that every title is more or less released on this platform.

no,almost every title is not released on 360

Why do you want to play 5 year old games for 6-7K on PS2 when you can play new ones at the cost of 12-14K. (12K for Grey Market/12.5K for Grey Modded)

this is where you fall,you just don't understand console gaming.it is not just about the games futureness but its gameplay and the big franchises.

having 360 doesn't give you the power to play MGS,FF7 are still better than the ones we play today

Plus I would suggest that you play original games, however there is no asking why, if you decide otherwise.

what do you mean by original,if thats the case then why even consider PS2 as original games will easily trump its price

Lastly, it is a great experience, Specially after the new "Kinetics" XBOX 360 will be on the top of all the other consoles in the market.

again its KINECT

also just because its comming doesn't mean it will be over other console in the market

And lastly,

"DUDE THERE IS NOTHING LIKE LITE GAMING, CAUSE EITHER YOU ARE IN IT OR OFF IT !" And even if we do have a term called LITE GAMING then it only describes the time you spend to play games on a daily basis, and does not specify the quality of experience you want to have when you play games.

GODSPEED

lite gaming can also mean the best you can get for lowest you pay and for a small time play

Desecrator said:
And you are going to need those component out to VGA converters for having the display from the PS2 connected to the LCD anyway. And the resolution of a 19" 16:10 display is 1440x900 and the highest resolution the PS2 can support is 480p IINW. So essentially the output is upscaled and the PQ suffers. Don't take my word for it - see it in person if you can go to a Croma or Reliance Digital. :)
PS2 has some 1080i games too

dragon_unleashed said:
I would recommend xbox 360 over PS3.
and the reason for it???

Roxtin said:
Are you kidding? Nothing can beat NES and SNES games those were the days. I still miss my SNES console :(
how can nothing beat NES and SNES

its just your personal opinion.

have you even gamed on PS1 and PS2 that you thing it is a joke console???

sandy453 said:
I bought a PS3 some months back and started playing GOW3 and UC2. Both these games require
significant amount of time in order for you get good gaming experience. This was not possible due to my busy work schedule . The result is my PS3 has been lying around for some time and is being used only for watching movies. Since you have mentioned you are beginner , you will spend some amount of time getting used to PS3 controller.

We were recently gifted with a Wii . I am hooked . Its a lot of fun to play and I can play say for 10 minutes or 1 hour and still get the good gaming experience.

PS3
*Many Games but expensive
*Blue ray player
*Great graphics in games
*gaming with a lot of detail and real life like experience

Wii
* great for casual gaming
*Fun and extremely addictive
* unique game experience
* Not HD
* Fewer titles available so less choice among games

The PS3 should become more promising for casual gaming in the coming months with the release of move controller. Get a PS3 if you want to be future proof or get a Wii .
getting used to any controller requires time,PS3 controller is one of the easiest to get used to

and there are many titles on PS3 that consume less time

he said light not casual gaming

agupta02 said:
PS2 with LCD has no problems whatsoever. I am using my PS2 with a Sony Bravia 32inch and have absolutely no issues with clarity and quality.

Given your purpose, a PS2 would be a good fit. I would suggest that instead of going for a new one, try to score a used PS2 as its the best value for money. A PS2 with an extra controller, memory card and modding would set you back about 7k but a used one with all of the above should not cost you more than 4.5k. PS2 has a very low fail rate so a good condition second hand PS2 is quite reliable and you anyway lose your warranty if you mod it.
Well i am surely looking out for a second hand PS2 and have left a post at 'market place' too....anyone interested in selling?? :D

And guys .....do boys only play console gaming? i am a girl :) .There were lots of "he's" being thrown around.......so well...Enjoy and please dont start Xbox vs PS3 again ...both are Gr8 and everyone should have both and enjoy !

Oh Boy .. i mean girl :O

Try posting on ivg as well.

The word Modded is not accept there anymore.

So a simple WTB PS2 thread. Nothing more, nothing less.

@glider....u get pink PS2's too....u can Check Alfa if u stay in Mumbai....

and try not to buy second hand...u get a new one modded w/o warranty for 5k i guess...:ashamed:

if u want to buy ur genuine games then...but it from store which gives warranties on PS2.

Electronics cannot b trusted.... ;)

glider said:
Well i am surely looking out for a second hand PS2 and have left a post at 'market place' too....anyone interested in selling?? :D

And guys .....do boys only play console gaming? i am a girl :) .There were lots of "he's" being thrown around.......so well...Enjoy and please dont start Xbox vs PS3 again ...both are Gr8 and everyone should have both and enjoy !
I could sell to you my PS2 and buy a new one but i don't think i will earn anything

you can get a new modded one for 5999

xXx said:
@glider....u get pink PS2's too....u can Check Alfa if u stay in Mumbai....
and try not to buy second hand...u get a new one modded w/o warranty for 5k i guess...:ashamed:
if u want to buy ur genuine games then...but it from store which gives warranties on PS2.
Electronics cannot b trusted.... ;)
pink !!! ill pass ...thanks !!

I have PSP, PS2, Xbox and Wii (Yes I am a hardcore gamer) I would suggest for casual (Light) gaming go for Wii ...

Reasons:

1. Motion plus experience is amazing.

2. It has a low learning curve.. Anyone can play it for 5 mins and be good at it.. You need not be an expert and hardcore gamer to clear stages in most of the games.

3. Great for multi player and whole family can play. Fun if you have guests and friends over frequently.

4. A lot of resources and games available, if you know where to find them :D

5. Can be further tweaked to load games from an external HDD, no need to maintain a Rack full of DVD's

A complete setup should cost you around ~15K with additional remotes/motion plus accessories and everything.

Desecrator said:
LOL since when did Solidsnake4RD get his nick changed to brickhouse?! :O

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Maybe he wanted to avoid getting noticed. And here I was thinking, OMG now we have another one of those. :p

Back