Video Which DTH to take?

@axis.meister Its time you look in to D2H or Tata Sky.
I know, but the question is which one Dish / Tata Sky / Videocon? Tata Sky seems too costly in comparison to the other two. What I am looking for is HD connection with recorder preferably, for regular entertainment channels + sports channels on HD. Not really interested in the Movie channels.

I have been using Reliance HD DTH for last 2.5 years and I don't have much complain except non-availability of few channels.
Though this wouldn't have been my first choice, but I got some free coupon for it with my TV (bought from letsbuy before fk murdered that :p).
I had used it in Kolkata and in Bangalore - but I haven't faced the PRE-rain signal lost issue ever. It's rains too frequently here in Bangalore and its very rare that I face the signal loss - only at the time of heavy rains. Never had to call cust-care more than twice/thrice in the whole period - (during shifting to b'lore and for package change - yeah that cannot be done from their portal).

Its not that I am very happy with this, but I don't have much to complain.
IMO, cons : it got just 8 HD channels, few of my regional channels aren't included, portal sucks - pretty useless, few movie and infotainment channels aren't there (history, disco-sc/turbo, movies now etc etc).
Pros : I didn't had to call CC for last one and half years. :p For ~ Rs400, I get what I watch. Very less signal lost due to rain.

ps: I have used DishTV and Airtel (both sd at home), and TataSky HD at my friends place. IMO, Airtel and TataSky have the best osd.

^ D2H isn't cheap now a days, their plans are almost similar to Tata sky.I suggest you compare plans which are in your monthly spending range.
D2H advertising of Maximum channels is a Gimmick, so is the case with any other DTH provider.

Just a fair bit of warning on Videocon D2H; they have removed the Gold HD plan which contained all the HD channels and used to cost around Rs.389/- and instead have now kept only one plan which contains all HD channels; Platinum HD pack. This was earlier costing Rs. 520/- and has now been raised to Rs.550/-

That's the highest plan pack currently present for this provider. It's really sad to see them pushing HD on the highest valued pack. But otherwise, I'd say the clarity is great. However, the UI is the shittiest one I have ever seen.

so what happens to the existing providers equipment if you want to switch? I'm gonna be saddled with a TataSky recorder box that doesn't work with any other provider or is there any swap scheme?

Just a fair bit of warning on Videocon D2H; they have removed the Gold HD plan which contained all the HD channels and used to cost around Rs.389/- and instead have now kept only one plan which contains all HD channels; Platinum HD pack. This was earlier costing Rs. 520/- and has now been raised to Rs.550/-

That's the highest plan pack currently present for this provider. It's really sad to see them pushing HD on the highest valued pack. But otherwise, I'd say the clarity is great. However, the UI is the shittiest one I have ever seen.

That is bad!!!:mad:

Now I see online offer 7.4K for DVR+1year platinum HD pack, but that is ridiculous I dont care about any other HD channels just needed the sports channels in HD. If you go ala-carte it would go costlier than the platinum HD pack.

For sd channels go with dish tv, i have sampled screenshots from 3 dth services using avermedia extreme cap and for sd dishtv picture quality is the best. . for hd go with tata sky or videocon , for non interruption of channels in any weather go with adtv. i live in a place where it rains 24x7 ,6 months a year and every dth goes off with little rain let alone heavy downpour. ive been using adtv for a year now.

It would be interesting to see what JIO offers in Cable TV Segment. It is still not clear whether they will roll out TV services through DTH or Triple play FTTH.

I would suggest Videocon d2h. Was using DishTV, found d2h much more economical. Not much difference in terms of service.

I saw videocon d2h in a hotel room, it's remote is kinda really cheap looking and the buttons are like of cheap Chinese toy, is the HD one also like that?

No idea about HD. I bought the SD package. Remote - didn't find much diff between the DishTV & d2h. If you want, d2h also sells a diff remote that uses diff freq waves. no need for the box to be visible as in the case of infrared.

Tatasky is best but off late they have hiked their pack rates. For my usage it costs me 280/month incl. 1 a-la carte channel. Rest, no time to watch TV else my usage would had easily crossed Rs. 400 mark.
Also I always miss local cable network coz they have all available channels.

And on Tatasky xplore and some other channels arent yet available so thats a huge disappointment for viewers like me. And theres no guarantee in which year they will introduce them.

That's where local cable wins but sadly hathway cable sucks to the core in my area hence dth way.

Took Videocon d2h at last , installed it today , took the ultra hd pack as of now, to take a look at all the channels , HD quality is great

Is everyone's experience with Videocon still decent. They have a 15% off offer on eBay. With the Platinum HD it works out cheaper than 7Star with HD. I don't care about UI. Just going to watch the sports channels in HD... Football is starting soooon!

Back