Which from three- Windows 7, Windows Server 2012 or Ubuntu-for my home dwnld/server?

I have a spare PC lying around which I intend to convert into a low-power [downloading rig]+[mini server]

It will
-download torrents
-download from Usenet using SabNZB
-will be given a external IP address(through DyDNS) and act as a small time FTP server

So which of the above should I use?
According to my views:
Windows 7- good option but overloaded for just a downloading rig'
Ubuntu-Setting a automation and other programs on it through terminal is special kind of pain in a** for me
Windows Server 2012-Dont know anything about it, thinking of using it cause have a spare legit key of it

Configuration of the PC
-Core 2 Duo
-1 GB ram
-500 GB HDD

Ubuntu is good, but you need to know how to utilize it, because it's way better compare to win7 for downloading from torrent and it's make your PC a virus free too. So go with UBUNTU.

Ubuntu is good, but you need to know how to utilize it, because it's way better compare to win7 for downloading from torrent and it's make your PC a virus free too. So go with UBUNTU.
Go linux way, suited and stable. set it up once and and you are good to go
In ubuntu you don't need to do it via the terminal, you can do it via VNC as well.

I think I will mostly use ubuntu, also will be running it headless so TightVNC is good option
I thought of using Windows Server 2012 but dont know what exactly it is or useful?

I think I will mostly use ubuntu, also will be running it headless so TightVNC is good option
I thought of using Windows Server 2012 but dont know what exactly it is or useful?
First wish you a very happy diwali and go with ubuntu as per all saying this to you. Ok enjoy.

Server 2012...Are u getting an original one which i believe would be 30k + for this d/l server ??..If yes..Dont..settle for ubuntu..if u need totally stable Server..U can try Centos too...

I would suggest to use where you are competent and comfortable to use.
Some may have better way of doing it but if the user do not know about it then it is good as nothing.
I had same question before and end up with Ubuntu Server which much easier for me.

Back