Which headphone AMP to buy?

No problem @TheCoolerPlayer :) . I would say the service is average at best. Unless there's a significant AND easily noticeable issue that directly impacts the functioning of the product, I doubt they would replace it. Now in my case, back when I bought the headphones in October, there weren't may reviews for it on Amazon. Like 3 reviews, 2 of them negative. I posted a 2-star review and mentioned that I'm currently going through the repair process with Hifiman service and that I intend to keep this review updated. Hifiman service mentioned it to me and asked me to update it with a good review when I received my replacement. So yeah, that Amazon review played an important factor in getting my replacement.

The channel imbalance I had was I would say around < 0.5 decibel/not extremely easy to notice. And there was the other issue of the headphone (buzzing/rattling sound at certain freq. from one of the earcups) which the service guy claimed they were not able to reproduce. I had even shot a video of that second issue and explicitly mentioned how to reproduce it, but still they claimed they were unable to reproduce it. The people are nice to talk to and they will help you to try to resolve it but when it comes to replacing a product, there's a lot of resistance.

For anyone else reading this, I would suggest buying Hifiman headphones only from a place where you can easily return/replace (Amazon) and just go for the return/replacement before that 7-day window runs out, without overthinking. In general, I would say buy a Hifiman product only if there is some specific reason you want it (HE400i is the cheapest good planar magnetic headphone you can get) or else just go with other well-established companies that have spent decades perfecting their QA so the chances of getting a defective product are minimal. FWIW Hifiman headphones offer what they promise - great sound at a good price but I would prefer another brand.

@Nitendra Singh wondering if you've had to RMA any Sennheiser products and if the service experience was good?
I may be the first one to tell about HIFIMAN is selling for 12k on amazon deal thread but still I refrained myself buying this Chinese item. All over websites and forums people telling about quality issues and thankfully you also demonstrated the issue in your video. Another item I am looking for is AKG 712 pro but not these are mostly chinese manufactured, so may be I should search for something else.

Never faced any issues with Sennheiser but their customer support is great they simply replace the item. recently red dragon got PXC II replaced.
but one thing I am disappointed with them is their Special edition version headphones and earphones. Last time I got momentum wireless earphones special edition on amazon prime day sale though at
discount but quality isn't satisfactory it looked like some OEM product or produced in bulk for these kind of sales. No retail box just a brown carton type box printed sennheiser logo and their usual info.
I wrote the first review for that item but amazon never published it. Since then I avoid these special editions by Sennheiser no matter even if it's 90% off.

I may be the first one to tell about HIFIMAN is selling for 12k on amazon deal thread but still I refrained myself buying this Chinese item. All over websites and forums people telling about quality issues and thankfully you also demonstrated the issue in your video. Another item I am looking for is AKG 712 pro but not these are mostly chinese manufactured, so may be I should search for something else.

Never faced any issues with Sennheiser but their customer support is great they simply replace the item. recently red dragon got PXC II replaced.
but one thing I am disappointed with them is their Special edition version headphones and earphones. Last time I got momentum wireless earphones special edition on amazon prime day sale though at
discount but quality isn't satisfactory it looked like some OEM product or produced in bulk for these kind of sales. No retail box just a brown carton type box printed sennheiser logo and their usual info.
I wrote the first review for that item but amazon never published it. Since then I avoid these special editions by Sennheiser no matter even if it's 90% off.
Which will be the sennheiser equivalent for the hifi400e?

Another item I am looking for is AKG 712 pro but not these are mostly chinese manufactured, so may be I should search for something else.
If you're looking at non-Chinese manufactured stuff, take a look at Grado and Meze - made in New York and Romania respectively. Both have fantastic reviews as well.

I think we guys should start a small club where can we can exchange some gear for short periods of time. The only issue is going to be a good shipping partner which offers insurance.
So someone with a HD650 can exchange with a Grado owner for few days and try these expensive gear without having to buy and then sell at a loss.

Thanks for the info @Nitendra Singh :) Nice to see that Sennheiser has good service.
I haven't experienced that personally (probably because it's under a week old), just the Geiger counter like rattling in one particular song so far. But thanks a lot, I'll keep that mind. Is there any way to remedy this via DIY, or is RMA the only way out?
Not that I'm aware of... If it's that cloth mesh touching the driver thing, you can easily check that in good lighting, open the outer mesh and glue the cloth mesh back on. If that's not what's causing the rattling, it could be that some part inside is loose, which makes it a manufacturing defect. Sometimes if a hair or some small dirt particles get inside then that can also be the reason for the rattling though...

Not that I'm aware of... If it's that cloth mesh touching the driver thing, you can easily check that in good lighting, open the outer mesh and glue the cloth mesh back on. If that's not what's causing the rattling, it could be that some part inside is loose, which makes it a manufacturing defect. Sometimes if a hair or some small dirt particles get inside then that can also be the reason for the rattling though...
I see, thanks for the info. Will keep it in mind.
I think we guys should start a small club where can we can exchange some gear for short periods of time. The only issue is going to be a good shipping partner which offers insurance.
So someone with a HD650 can exchange with a Grado owner for few days and try these expensive gear without having to buy and then sell at a loss.
That sounds like a massive exercise in trust more than anything else haha. Or maybe that's just my pessimism showing :p
Though it sounds like a good idea in theory, I personally wouldn't sign up for it - too many variables (what happens if headphones get damaged in transit, what if someone breaches trust, what if delays in shipping and 'n' number of other things). Maybe I would be open to try this out with a group of very close friends also happen to be audiophiles, but definitely not with strangers on the internet. Just my take on this.
In ordinary times, a meet and greet would have been a good idea, but this idea to me just seems to be asking for trouble, sooner or later.

Last edited:
Can't compare, I don't think there is any at this price. these are probably the cheapest planners available.
AKG 712 pro is also chinese manufactured product but I believe it's an old and reputed brand so probably better when it's about QC.
available for 20k at the moment @ Amazon, luckily not deliverable at my location or I 've impulsively purchased it.

Beyerdynamic 880 edition is another good choice when it's about durability, quality and warranty.

how about HD299SE? Its on saler for 9k on amazon right now

it's OK, what you pay is what you get.
It may be just me but I'll avoid this cheap looking Special edition.
see screenshot from a review.
to me it sounds like grade B

Capture.jpg

Sadly, there's is nothing. Sennheiser's support is absolutely top notch though.
It's difficult to find anything that will sound like HE400i at the price point. HD 560s is a very analytical sounding pair but the sound signature is very different. 560s can be great for mixing/ mastering.
I'm also looking for a cheap open back headphones, only carried the pxc550 with me and a resident loved it so much ( and he reminded me so much of myself...15 years ago..full of very basic but very difficult fundamental questions, and not scared to ask them..) that I gave it to him and left with a completely rubbish Sony IEM.
Need a cheap open back pair just to listen to some music, audiobooks etc. Can't possibly buy online. Do I have any options other than really bad Sony on ears?

Sadly, there's is nothing. Sennheiser's support is absolutely top notch though.
It's difficult to find anything that will sound like HE400i at the price point. HD 560s is a very analytical sounding pair but the sound signature is very different. 560s can be great for mixing/ mastering.
I'm also looking for a cheap open back headphones, only carried the pxc550 with me and a resident loved it so much ( and he reminded me so much of myself...15 years ago..full of very basic but very difficult fundamental questions, and not scared to ask them..) that I gave it to him and left with a completely rubbish Sony IEM.
Need a cheap open back pair just to listen to some music, audiobooks etc. Can't possibly buy online. Do I have any options other than really bad Sony on ears?
I've heard great things about Samson SR850 (semi open back) which cost just around 3.5, less than 3k even on sometimes, and have personally used one for some time (before a sibling required a pair and away it went). But since you mentioned no online, I don't know how you will be able to procure one, since I assume that online deliveries are not working. If you ca afford to spend about double fo that, AKG K240 at around 7k is also a good option, though I have not heard had any personal experience with it myself.
If you'd like, I could buy and ship them to you as a parcel.
how about HD299SE? Its on saler for 9k on amazon right now
Also having used the HE400i with an amp, and having used the Samson SR850 and knowing how good both are, I really doubt any headphone priced at 10k can come close to the Hifiman. I am incredibly happy with these, and after EQ and through the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro these sound absolutely heavenly and sublime - the bass punch is so good, the clarity impeccable and the details fine af. I have used VR, and I would say that getting the HE400i was like getting VR for my ears - it's just that good. I was blown away by both technologies and knew that won't be able to use other stuff without comparing them to these now, these are the benchmark now. I literally get goosebumps with many songs listening to them, even though I've been listening to them for years. You can intricately pick up details and locate them around you. I might sound like a shill after all this, but these really are that good. If they come on sale for 12k I would suggest you grab the pair. Just ensure that you get a decent pair in the first 7 days and I think you should be good. For me, I am not averse to Chi-fi, but if that's a problem for you I doubt you are getting similar quality at this price.
Good luck with your hunt!

Last edited:
Thanks for your very generous offer to help mate. Yes, I completely forgot about that option...will place an order for AKG K240 from the resident's Amazon India account. I'm very familiar with K240 ( it's possibly one of the commonest studio headphones)

Thanks for your very generous offer to help mate. Yes, I completely forgot about that option...will place an order for AKG K240 from the resident's Amazon India account. I'm very familiar with K240 ( it's possibly one of the commonest studio headphones)
Haha my generosity is nothing in front of of what you are doing here sir. You deserve good audio if nothing else! And I do not regret spending over 15k on audio stuff at all now - the HE400i was the gateway drug to getting a proper dac/amp haha, and probably wouldn't have bought such expensive headphones in the first place if not for your reassurance. The only thing I regret is not getting them earlier - "how much difference would it possibly make." Couldn't be happier with these, as you may have noticed in the post above haha. Thanks again, and enjoy the K240!

Good luck with your hunt!
I actually have W5000 Raffinatos, was thinking of maybe picking up a second headphone. I also have DT990Pro, whose left driver died all of a sudden and will probably give BD a skip.

For 10K, the hifiman is worth it? possibly dont want to spend anymore than that

Well worth it, but only if you have at least a semi-decent amp (which I assume you do since you mention the DT990), and get lucky with Hifiman QC. Even a 4.5k Tempotec Sonata HD Pro would do the job as a decent amp, just try to keep it in high gain mode. My budget was 8k for headphones, but stretch it by 3k to try these out since i was intrigued by the planar magnetic tech, and I am glad I did!
If you find the stock sound too sparkly, or missing some bass, I recommend using Oratory1990's preset as a baseline to start off with - I have increased the bass and subbass (filters 1 and 4) a bit lower than what he has suggested, and mids to about 3.4 - half of what he's suggested. Kept the rest as suggested. Play around with filters 1, 2, 4 and 8 to see what suits you best. Though they sound fantastic stock, it felt a bit too sparkly for music (again, for my tastes). So I use my self tuned preset for listening to music, and stock sound for movies and shows.

Back