Camera which is the best entry level digital camera?

If we narrow our budgets to say 5 to 6 k and then start searching something say above 5 MP resolution and with LI Batteries. The Choice becomes apparently limited, What would fit all these parameters?
:S

Dont bother with a camera > 5k if it does not have image stabilization (IS). IS is the most important feature to have. Why ? - Because IQ can be tweaked according to your tastes (Saturation, brightness etc) however a blurred snap due to camera shake is a useless snap.

So put IS as your first priority in selecting your camera. Then look at the wide angle. Why ? - Because you will use the telephoto range (>100mm) very infrequently. However you will use the wide angle 70 - 85% of the time. So it makes sense to get a camera with a lens that starts at something like 32 (or even better 28mm) rather than something that starts at 38mm.

After that look at a good LCD on the cam. Why ? Because the LCD should be able to tell you perfectly if your shot is good or if you need to take another one. I shot a lot of pics on my old Fuji S5600 which had a 1.8" screen. I used to thing the shots were very nice till I transferred them to my computer and viewed them. I then found out that a few were slightly blurred (no IS on the Fuji) and some were out of focus).

With my A200's 2.7" screen I can make out immediately if a snap is out of focus or slightly blurred and can retake the shot.

After the LCD you should choose a Li-on battery cam. Again it has disadvantages and advantages. Li-on batteries mean a faster flash recycle time. So you can take more shots at night. The downside is that you cant buy Li-on batteries in the middle of nowhere. AA cells are available at any tourist spot.

Now consider the Panny LZ8. It satisfies practically all the main criteria in selecting a cam. It has IS. It has a nice decent 32mm wide angle (+ 160mm tele), it has a nice 230k pxiel 2.5" LCD monitor and it has easily available AA batteries. Now why do you need to spend more ????

adder said:
dont post crap ,sony captures good detail in low light,and btw most of nikon cameras use sony sensor.infact sony point & shoot cameras most of the time takes better low light images without flash, compared to a nikon point & shoot,only the nikon DSLR and some prosumer cameras are good.check out the reviews.

:) Good Go ahead

Where to get the Lumix DMC LZ8 in Mumbai ... I went to J J Mehta yesterday - they had only one piece, and that too not black ! I don't think case color matters that much while taking pictures, but I would prefer a black one.

The price quoted by J J Mehta was 5.5 K btw. Don't want to use ebay, want to check physically and buy it.

Thanks,

~M

mallik said:
Where to get the Lumix DMC LZ8 in Mumbai ... I went to J J Mehta yesterday - they had only one piece, and that too not black ! I don't think case color matters that much while taking pictures, but I would prefer a black one.

The price quoted by J J Mehta was 5.5 K btw. Don't want to use ebay, want to check physically and buy it.

Thanks,

~M

well one of the problem with silver is the paint faid,scratches are visible easily.

hey guys after readin the posts it seems tht the panasonic LZ8 is a gr8 VFM camera n its performance is also good.

but how is the build quality of the camera it shld not feel cheap when u look at it or hold it ??????????

r there any other cameras in the sub 10K range to look out for ????????

how r the sony W sereies cameras ???????

me also lookin fwd to buy a digi cam for arnd 10K

These days almost all cameras above say 8-9k are good. But to get the best, settle for none other than Canons. Extreme Performance in High/Low Light conditions as well as very good noise reduction upto ISO 200. All of this due to Canon's Better Image processing.

Also, I recently had a chance to try the Casio Exilim series. And its way better than even Canons. Check out the reviews for them too. Infact. i'm planning to dump my Nikon S50 for a Casio Exilim! :)

Don't think of Sony at all.

rutvijt said:
These days almost all cameras above say 8-9k are good. But to get the best, settle for none other than Canons. Extreme Performance in High/Low Light conditions as well as very good noise reduction upto ISO 200. All of this due to Canon's Better Image processing.

Also, I recently had a chance to try the Casio Exilim series. And its way better than even Canons. Check out the reviews for them too. Infact. i'm planning to dump my Nikon S50 for a Casio Exilim! :)

Don't think of Sony at all.
Dude can u be more specific abt which models u talkin

any links to the reviews u have read will also be apreciated ..........

n wht is t he expecrted price in india(mumbai)

I am also thinking of purchasing a digicam in range of 6000-8000. After reading a lot of threads in this forum and also on other sites I have selected Canon A590 and Lumix LZ8. But I have few questions -

1. I have heard that Panasonic after sale service is very bad . Is it so?

3. JJ Mehta is selling LZ8 for 6000. Do they provide Bill & Warranty? I am from Delhi so I have to go for online shop from them but only if they are with B/W.

Thanks in advance.

solanky said:
3. JJ Mehta is selling LZ8 for 6000. Do they provide Bill & Warranty? I am from Delhi so I have to go for online shop from them but only if they are with B/W.

Thanks in advance.

J.J.Mehta, now only sells official products. So it is with bill and standard company's warranty. They have stopped selling grey market stuff off late.
BTW since you are from Delhi, isn't plenty of options are available in Delhi itself?

bigbyte said:
J.J.Mehta, now only sells official products. So it is with bill and standard company's warranty. They have stopped selling grey market stuff off late.

BTW since you are from Delhi, isn't plenty of options are available in Delhi itself?

Thanks for info.

Today I have already purchased Panasonic Lumix LZ10 at Rs.7700 from Hazrat Vision, Laxmi Nagar (Panasonic Brand Shop). I have got 2GB Kodak SD Card, Kodak charger with 2 batteries and carry case with it for free. LZ8 was not available on any store and besides that it is only of silver colour while LZ10 I got of Black colour. Other difference with LZ8 are 10 vs 8 megapixels and lens is 30 mm wide vs 32 mm.

My other alternative Canon A590 IS was available for around 9500 so I think it is good deal for me.

First impression is very good but I have taken only 8-10 shots so far.

Thanks.

xtr.pwnzor said:
are u guys sure that the LUMIX DMC-LZ8 camera sold on ebay for 5800rs .. are the real ones ...i meant not fakes right...always bothered abt ebay deals..therefore asking

pamy brings to India 2typs-made in China & Japan,
chck it, china ones are cheaper,

Back