Linux Which Linux based torrent downloading software supports peering?

hotshot05

Skilled
I have a Raspberry Pi 2 (ARM v7)

Currently I am using Transmission for downloading torrents. I use cable internet which supports local peering(btcache).

I downloaded a file using uTorrent in Windows. The file downloaded at an average speed of 3MB/s.

After 5 mins, I tried downloading the same file using Transmission on my RPi 2. I am getting average speeds of 20 kB/s. In the peer list, I am unable to see the btCache servers. So I guess Transmission is unable to connect to those seeds.

Is there any torrent downloading software available in Linux which supports local peering ?

Deluge also supports local peering?

Does anyone know if I can turn on local peering somehow in Transmission?
Yes it does. I am using alliance broadband which supports peering. I get 3.4-3.6 Mbps consistently.

I m not sure if LPD can be turned on at all in transmission.

Yes it does. I am using alliance broadband which supports peering. I get 3.4-3.6 Mbps consistently.

I m not sure if LPD can be turned on at all in transmission.
Ok. Will try Deluge too.
But I read somewhere that when comparing between Transmission, Deluge and qBitTorrent, transmission is rock solid. Does not crash at all. The other two may need a restart every few weeks.
But since I wont be keeping my Pi on 24 x 7, this should not be too much of a problem.

Ok. Will try Deluge too.
But I read somewhere that when comparing between Transmission, Deluge and qBitTorrent, transmission is rock solid. Does not crash at all. The other two may need a restart every few weeks.
But since I wont be keeping my Pi on 24 x 7, this should not be too much of a problem.
Try it out and let us know how it goes. Been using deluge in ubuntu and windows for quite some time now. Havnt encountered a crash/freeze yet. Qbittorrent was quite stable too. Dont know how the recent versions are.

Are you sure transmission does not support peer downloading? I've been using transmission web ui and also the GUI based version on Linux mint sometimes. There is an option to search for local peers in it. Years back, I had a pogoplug which had transmission on it. I had connected my PC with utorrent and pogo with transmission to the router and both the software could see each other.

See if that option is disabled in the apps settings.

So how to enable peering in transmission . Thats my web transmission pic
transmission.jpg

I have installed transmission-daemon and use WebUI to access the front end.

I have checked the settings.json file. LPD = True in that file

It seems that Transmission can connect to peers who are on my local network but cannot connect to BtCache servers.
I downloaded one file today. In uTorrent, I could see content being downloaded from the BtCache nodes. But in Transmission I saw that in the list of the peers, the BtCache nodes did not appear.

Just checked Transmission 2.84 both on Ubuntu 15.04 and windows 8.1. LPD works. I am getting speeds I am supposed to get.

@hotshot05 Update to 2.84 and see if this helps.
I will get the latest version from their testing repo and see if btcache servers are available or not in peer list.

LPD is working in 2.52 itself but btcache servers are not appearing in peer list.

Transmission supports LPD , even Deluge does . I have had a similar setup with my router and now with Rpi b+ and all of them used to work with the peering system . The only thing I found was on deluge that it only updates one tracker at a time so you might need to change the tracker priority to get the local peer working. Do you use a different tracker for local peer or just btcache pops up in the public tracker list ?

Transmission supports LPD , even Deluge does . I have had a similar setup with my router and now with Rpi b+ and all of them used to work with the peering system . The only thing I found was on deluge that it only updates one tracker at a time so you might need to change the tracker priority to get the local peer working. Do you use a different tracker for local peer or just btcache pops up in the public tracker list ?
In uTorrent it pops up automatically.

Back