Android Which Phone to get after HTC One???

aasimenator

MCITP 2008
Reseller
Hey Guys,

So its been a few months since i've purchased HTC One Silver (801e) phone, although I required more than the 16gb storage space thats available, its lack of expansion did not stop me from buying it. I purchased an inexpensive OTG cable to use my 64GB Ultra SanDisk MicroSD card, but the main drawback i noticed was its Camera, no matter how much the hype & HTC calling it "Ultra Pixel" its still a 4 MP camera. & even though you can take pictures that look good on the phone itself when you copy it to your computer its another story. Its lacks crispness, sharpness & temperature's are inaccurate. I've even tired the manual settings for exposure & iso it is still not good enough.

Previous to HTC One i've used Samsung S4 although it had a good camera for Daylight photos & its not something i would like to go back to. I did not like it that much and the Software had few issues and glitches that cannot be overlooked.

I have uploaded a picture please look at it after downloading & try to zoom in a bit. You will understand what i mean. Also low light sucks as wells, I would say only 5% improvement than a regular camera of the Galaxy S4 in low light.
http://s17.postimg.org/r20ilcdnj/IMAG0151.jpg

So I am in the market looking for a good camera phone for the major part. but also looking for the following features in the order of Priority

1. Good Camera (8 mp or higher)
2. Good Sound Quality ( should be close to HTC one's Boom Sound)
3. HD Display ( 720p / 1080p) Full HD would be preferred.
4. Expandable memory (or atleast support for OTG)
5. Battery Life should last 1 day. (i.e. 2200 mAh +)

As much as i like android phones I think android is a resource hog & when we IT Professionals see a OS / Application that takes up alot of resource we get rid of it. So what are my options if i want to go for non android phones? Apple iPhone 5 & Lumia 925??

Apple iPhone won't give you 1080p screen since you mentioned you want Full HD.
Battery on iPhone should not be a problem (even when it is 1430 mAh).

Finding an all in one solution is pretty darn hard feat to achieve out of any smartphone.

Having said that with your kind of requirements iphone 5 or 5s or 5c are definetly out of question.

Besides the only worthy contender per my opinion for your needs could be either the upcoming Note 3 or Sony experia z1.

Just think of it as life dude, it cant be PERFECT.

Hope my input helps, cheers ;)

Being in India, i suggest you to go for samsung(Note 3) because their service level :) Recently my Note 2 sim slot broken(because of nano sim+adapter) and went to service center... got it fixed/replaced in 10 mins freely(in warranty).

why did you buy a phone with a 4Mp camera, in the first place?
also, very honestly, your thread title should be changed to reflect your needs, and not highlight the fact that you bought the HTC one earlier, you can mention the HTC One was not up to the mark in your camera needs from a phone...

the best camera still is the iphone IMO.... unless you go for the more camera less phone types Nokia 41Mp phones etc.

if you have nothing against iOS , wait for the 5s and pick it up!!

I don't think either of the phones have released yet, have they?
The ads are already up in the Sony shop and owner says he will have Z1 tomorrow :joyful:

Expected price ~rs.45k (!)

Would not recommend buying it for at least a month or longer until comparative reviews come in.

Samsung people said note 3 around 1 st week of oct, though some indian reviewers say Sept 25.

The competition is note 3, G2, 1020 as well as S4. In superior mode (sony speak for auto) Z1 only takes 8MP photos, to get 20MP you have to go to manual. Wait a little longer and successor to HTC one will come out with better pixels. That will be a 6 month wait though.

The hardest thing to do with assessing camera quality is what the camera can do vs what it cannot. nearly all reviews i see are a shootout of auto mode. Then you get people saying they can do much better with manual. So if you want 'auto' then those reviews are good but if you know more and can use manual then they are useless.

From the OPs perspective both HTC one or Z1 phones cannot be serviced in India anyway and will be pricey to repair in event of an accident.

The speaker on the Z1 is much bigger than the Z or ultra so it will sound better, but you will not get the same bass that an HTC owner is accustomed to. Until other models also come out with front facing speakers this will not change. Why they don't is beyond me, your ears are in the front of the phone not at the back or side. Htc defnitely got the speaker placement right. I appreciate front facing pseakers on my note 10.1 tab every time i use it.

Last edited:
Apart from camera you dont seem to be having other issue with your current phone. Instead of looking for a new phone, why dont you look at the Sony Lens camera that you can attach with the mobile for Photos?

Sony's killing it, they are pretty favourably releasing here as early as they can. Sammy and apple are way back to catchup with this early bird tactic of sony.
Although Sony is yet to create a remarkable dent, so yeah need to wait for reliable reviews, but this time I am perso expecting better than Z and Z ultra by sony...

Forgot to mention butterfly s, but with a MRP 60k, htc is looking at a flop there as far as india is concerned.

Bear in mind sony is doing 2 flagships a year now, so Z2 will come out in march.

Bro instead of spending so much money, keep your current phone and just get any p&s camera separately that way you will save significant battery and money.
Just my 2 cents

You should also take a look at Xiomi Mi3 and OPPO N1. Both top of the line with very good cameras. Will be considerably inexpensive compared to the similar offerings from HTC, Samsung or Sony.

Iphone 5s still with 1gb ram and 1579mah battery....

iPhone 5S is not for the OP. It does not fit his requirements like HD screen and expandable storage. Also battery life on iPhone and the RAM and processor should not really be a concern for anyone because it is a different operating system altogether so we cannot really compare.

Indeed, my post was just wondering how apple still has an ecosystem to utilise such low ram still when other smartphone mfg are how on 3gb.
iPhone 5S is not for the OP. It does not fit his requirements like HD screen and expandable storage. Also battery life on iPhone and the RAM and processor should not really be a concern for anyone because it is a different operating system altogether so we cannot really compare.

Indeed, my post was just wondering how apple still has an ecosystem to utilise such low ram still when other smartphone mfg are how on 3gb.

Different operating systems. Like a laptop you using windows on, will give X hours on normal usage while if you install Linux then the usage will vary. So yes operating system matters a lot. Apple has an advantage because they make the hardware and software themselves to they can make it work well with each other and that is why you see very good battery life on Mac books as well. But android like windows is supposed to be run on multiple devices and hence the trade off.

Different operating systems. Like a laptop you using windows on, will give X hours on normal usage while if you install Linux then the usage will vary. So yes operating system matters a lot. Apple has an advantage because they make the hardware and software themselves to they can make it work well with each other and that is why you see very good battery life on Mac books as well. But android like windows is supposed to be run on multiple devices and hence the trade off.
Thats nice in a way, thanks for explaining and sharing your input

Back