PC Peripherals Which Printer - inkjet or laser?

My requirement is about 20/25 pages per month (on average) and I have to run about printing cafes who take 6 rs per page but give a printout which looks like complete shite. Probably they have invented a new low setting or whatever. So for my purpose which type of printer should I be looking at, ink or laser? There might be months in which there would be no prints at all, so keep in mind this occasional usage. But print quality must be crisp, and economical too

Last edited:
I am in the same boat, planning to buy a laser printer, company named BROTHER. These are monochrome meaning no colored prints only black and white.

There might be months in which there would be no prints at all
Since its not ink, its toner based printer which has practically unlimited shelf life.

With a usage of 20-25 pages per month, it's hard for it to be economical.

Let's say you get a laser printer for 12k which lasts 5 years. At 25 pages per month, you would have printed 1500 pages, giving a per page cost of ₹8 for the printer itself. Even if it lasts much longer, let's say 10 years (which itself is unlikely), you still have the printer itself costing ₹4 per page. The cost of ink would be less than 50p per page even on home laser printers.

If you get inkjet, the cost for printer could be as low as 3000. Prints would be slow (shouldn't be a concern at this volume) and ink will cost 4-5 rupees per page.

So your total cost will still be same or higher as the shop. But you can save time by printing yourself and also get better quality.

If your printing is mostly text, laser would be better choice. If you need images/colour, go for inkjet as colour laser printers are very expensive and bulky.

I was in the same boat for PCS but gave way as it would have been just an impulse splurge rather that any real utilization.
Only for a few days I need to print some 4-5 pages and yearly not even 50 pages.
So, I better get them printed at the nearest xerox center which will cost me just 40bucks (re 1 or max 2 per page b/w) So literally saving the entire 3k or 12k laser costs involved.

Will suggest the same for someone who even prints 100 pages per year. The issues of maintaining printer like those dried cartridges is a total waste of money.

Forget the cost factor, you don’t have to go anywhere for your prints for the next 15-20 years or more. This alone makes it worth it in my book. Saves time and energy.

Those critical times when you need a print immediately but don’t have time for it cause you are occupied in something else, are pain in the a**.

Who wants to stand in queue for a simple print out, when you can afford a printer.

With laser printer one can forget about anything being dried out, it will work even after 10 years of not being used with the same toner.

It’s a win-win.

One of My Friend is using Canon LBP 6030W [Wifi Enabled, allow to print from Laptop], since 18 months without any issue.
Using Compatible Toners, which are giving Very Good Results including images, which costs Rs 700 - 750/- yields 900-1200 pages.

Also Consider One of the Best economical Printers HP P1108

One of My Friend is using Canon LBP 6030W [Wifi Enabled, allow to print from Laptop], since 18 months without any issue.
Using Compatible Toners, which are giving Very Good Results including images, which costs Rs 700 - 750/- yields 900-1200 pages.

Also Consider One of the Best economical Printers HP P1108
Thanks for mentioning the exact model nos. I have added to cart. The prices seem to have inflated much. I remember seeing Laser multifunction models within 10-12k not too long ago. Now at least 50-60% up!
@Heisen Any particular Brother model?
And yes, exactly the reasons you mention. The inconvenience is intolerable going to cafes for prints.

Any particular Brother model?
The basic one which has everything, print, copy, scan and wireless is Brother DCP-L2531DW, by reading online I found that with the original toner it can print 2000 pages and the toner cost about 3k-4k. After 12000 prints the drum may need replacement and that also costs 3k-4k, that's about it. Currently the printer costs 18.6k on amazon.

If only print functionality is needed than the entry level basic model Brother HL-L2321D can be considered, it starts from 10k.

I was in the same boat, low printing volumes and to avoid outside printing.
I would suggest ink tank all in one printer.
It does have the option of color when you need it and occasional copy function when needed.
I have Canon pixma g2012 (Non WiFi) which comes with 2 additional black bottle. Currently at 12,099 on Amazon https://www.amazon.in/s?k=canon+pixma+g2012&sprefix=canon+pixmx+g20,aps,547&ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_15
Have been running it for 4 years, still the original bottle is in use. Gives 6000+ pages yield in black.
Printing cost for black will be approx 10 paisa per page.
If you want WiFi Pixma G3000 with additional 2 black ink bottles is at Rs 14,499. Blaupunkt earbuds are free with redemption.
Both will be cheaper with card discounts.

I had a Ricoh SP111 monochrome laserjet that lasted for 7 years. However, the toner started dying half way into the second refill. Also, refilling the toner cartridge at home with mask and in a bathroom, seemed a bit too much.

Purchased a tank-based Canon inkjet from the GM2000 series thereafter that cost 6-7k during last year's sale. The provided refill is still only half utilised. No issues with drying. Moreover, it has WiFi printing built in with paper cassette and duplex printing, which makes life a lot easier. Also supports standard colour cartridges if needed but I haven't used it for colour printing yet.

I had a Ricoh SP111 monochrome laserjet that lasted for 7 years. However, the toner started dying half way into the second refill. Also, refilling the toner cartridge at home with mask and in a bathroom, seemed a bit too much.

Purchased a tank-based Canon inkjet from the GM2000 series thereafter that cost 6-7k during last year's sale. The provided refill is still only half utilised. No issues with drying. Moreover, it has WiFi printing built in with paper cassette and duplex printing, which makes life a lot easier. Also supports standard colour cartridges if needed but I haven't used it for colour printing yet.
As someone who has had experience with both laser and inkjet then, how is the sharpness of the texts with ink compared to laser? My usage is mainly text based prints.

Have the same Ricoh
I think it was Snapdeal purchase

Forget the cost factor, you don’t have to go anywhere for your prints for the next 15-20 years or more. This alone makes it worth it in my book. Saves time and energy.

Those critical times when you need a print immediately but don’t have time for it cause you are occupied in something else, are pain in the a**.

Who wants to stand in queue for a simple print out, when you can afford a printer.

With laser printer one can forget about anything being dried out, it will work even after 10 years of not being used with the same toner.

It’s a win-win.
None of my laser printers last more than 2 years. They don't survive that long.

So, its a pretty good time to reveal what are their names so people can avoid.

When they died, what exactly went wrong with them?

Also the general word out there is that they last pretty long time.

Meanwhile people can watch this fun printer video.

+1 on this printer and the compatible toners. I've been using this for a while. It still works fine though it is not seeing very heavy use these days.

Hey I've a HP laserjet M1136 MFP from 2013 and it printed 22729 pages ,had 5 cartridges and multiple cartridge refills till now . It demanded a replacement pickup roller change and cleaning of pickup solenoid and the cleaning of whole printer in 2020. The printer runs fine till this day, this has been my experience regarding laser printer.

So, its a pretty good time to reveal what are their names so people can avoid.

When they died, what exactly went wrong with them?

Also the general word out there is that they last pretty long time.

Meanwhile people can watch this fun printer video.

Hp LaserJet 1010

Hp LaserJet 1007

I hated running over or sending the help to a local shop to get print outs and them possibly retaining a copy of the document. Even though only a few important documents need to be printed per month, the convenience of having a printer readily available for me/family is a big stress reliever. even if it lasts 3 years I'm fine with it. One thing you should take care is keep the printer away from humidity.

Throwing in my recommendation. Brother HL-B2080DW. it’s a monochrome laser wifi duplex printer with airprint built in. Not for everyone though. It’s slightly pricey at 13500 after discount. It’s got fast yet quality duplex printing. Airprint integration was the main reason I chose this over other models, as it makes printing from any Apple devices dead simple for anyone in the family.

coming up on one year, very happy with it, bought for 12500 after discount in September 2022.

let me

Amazon Link
Flipkart link

Last edited:
As many already said, if you are not printing regularly you should go for a laser printer.

You should go for a printer for which 3rd party toner is easily available and affordable.
Also if it's a popular model, repair and spare parts would be cheaper.
HP Laserjet P1108 is legendary in these regards, that why it's still in high demand, even though it doesn't have the latest bells and whistles.

Back