PC Peripherals Which PSU ?

leaving efficieny apart :)

Madnav ... still 450 ones suggested wont suffice n would drop.. as simple calculation where that 80% isnt used is still 573 watts.....

n LBM.. the rails of seasonic ... are awesome.... try n find that locally...

or this
Global Easy Buy

antz123 said:
on safe side assuming its a amdX2 system, with 10HDDs SATA of 7200rpm, 2 sticks of RAM, 2-3 fans of 120 hi perform, onboard graphic, 2-3 USB devices(ipod or ext hard drive future proofing) , 1 pci card(for safety)

cpu utilization of 85%

capacitor aging of 25%

system load of around 80%

regular mobo

u would need 573W

try out urself solution :)

Thermaltake Power Supply Calculator

Tried a similar spec and got only 350W :huh:

Although yes he'd need a slightly better PSU than the 350W recommendation to compensate for the startup current draw. Unless your motherboard/controller supports staggered spin-up.

low_bass_makker said:
Any model with 150w+ on the 3.3v and 5v rails. As all the PSU have 130-140 watts max.

If you're looking for a PSU with better 3.3/5V rails for your hard disk, dont bother. A hard disk sources its power mainly from the 12V rail. In fact those molex-to-SATA power converters don't even have the 3.3V rail on them, and yet HDDs run fine with them.

low_bass_makker said:
What antz said is the other way round..He also stands correct !!!!

Nope its incorrect.

antz123 said:
on safe side assuming its a amdX2 system, with 10HDDs SATA of 7200rpm, 2 sticks of RAM, 2-3 fans of 120 hi perform, onboard graphic, 2-3 USB devices(ipod or ext hard drive future proofing) , 1 pci card(for safety)

cpu utilization of 85%

capacitor aging of 25%

system load of around 80%

regular mobo

u would need 573W

x2 processor 65w max

2 sticks ddr2 10w max

10 sata hdd 150w max

3 high power fan 20w max

mobo with igp 50w max

3 USB devices 45w max

1 pci device 30w max

1 dvdrw 15w max

400w extreme max

even a 500w psu is overkill

you can look at this model as well... dont know if its available locally...

http://www.enermaxusa.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_56&products_id=147

24A on 5V is good enough. for ur requirement. (considering 1 HDD (SATA) requiring ~0.8A @ 5V; while booting it may require ~1.5A).

10HDD = 1.5A * 10 = 15A (max case) @ 5V
10 HDD = 0.8A * 10 = 8A (usual working) @ 5V

Add 1.5A to 2A for DVD drive.

22-24A @ 5V would be safe enough for ur requirement. though 20A may become challenging (common rating for most <=500W supplies).

3.3V amps should not have much say in for ur stated requirements, so i think u should not look at 150W+ criteria for both combined.

Also the draw from 12V is around 0.5A during normal usage and max case (booting) should be less than 1A.

depending on ur processor, anything between 20-25A would suffice ur requirement @12V.

Eddy... actually u are right... but i checked again this time it said 434... so lil unreliable it seems would chk for another calculator ...

Udit ... 400 is too less i still feel....

Sukhoi suggestion is actually good

Ebay GEB had this too

Global Easy Buy

antz123 said:
Udit ... 400 is too less i still feel....

your feeling won't change facts dear
450-550w is all he needs

so I will still suggest a CM Real Power Pro 550W or SeaSonic S12II 500W

Okay guys, for the record. Many guys have a misconception about efficiency here. It is not efficiency multiplied to the rating -- to get the throughput.

This does not work:

PSU rating = 750W

Efficiency rating = 80%

PSU Draw = 750W

PSU Throughput = 750 x (80/100) = 600W

This works:

PSU rating = 750W (A)

Efficiency rating = 80%

PSU Draw = 750 / (80/100) = 937.5 (B)

PSU Throughput = 750W

Calculated Efficiency = (A/B) * 100 = 80%

The efficiency clearly translates too, how much power is drawn from the socket (which you are billed for), to the ratio of how much clean usable power it can provide as output.

Efficiency Level Certifications:

These are industry standards which say, how much constant, spike free power a PSU will supply at three different load levels. For example: To qualify for 80 PLUS, a power supply must achieve at least 80% efficiency at three specified loads (20%, 50% and 100% of maximum rated power) To get this certification it must pass all tests at 50C, as the temperature metric.

The current ratings are:

energylevelscertificati.jpg

Suggestion for OP:

The OP will have a barebone system. Compromising off:

10 HDD = 10 HDD x 15W = 150W

Standard CPU = 1 x 100W = 100W

Non-OC Motherboard = 1 x 50W = 50W

RAM = 2 x 5W = 10W

'n' Fans = 100W

-----------------------------------------

Draw Total: 410W

30% overhead : 123W

Overall PSU Requirement: 533W

Now since the OC, has an aversion to Corsair, a TAGAN 550W-500W would be good. You can suggest other good companies with the 500-550W range.

Note:

Have calculated slightly upper side values for the components, to marginalize heavy run load and start up power pull.

antz123 said:
u would need 573W

now most of SMPS are 80 plus. so a 750watts would give u ideally 750X.8 = 600w ok its arguable that all 750 watts actually deliver more so a safe bet is 700-750 watts minimum

You got that wrong. No manufacturer rates the input power of a PSU. It is always the output power although it may not be actually the correct rating. So when a PSU is rated 750W it means it is expected to deliver 750W at its output. Efficiency theoretically has no place in this calculation.

Edit: Sorry it seems I was too late in posting this. Many others have already beaten me to it. I just posted after seeing antz' post.

Anyway, I think it is not a good practice to just club all the expected power requirements of each component and add them together. It is necessary to sum the current requirements of each voltage output individually and arrive at a total figure of current for 3.3V, 5V, 12V, etc.

^^

It is the ratio to output : input

Absolutely correct. Efficiency just tells, how much actual juice is needed from the socket to get the rated 750W. Nice.

i have seen many guys buying unnecessarily high rated PSUs coz of this efficiency misconception.

higher efficiency means lower elec bill... its a green thing... thats all about it.

SuKhOi said:
i have seen many guys buying unnecessarily high rated PSUs coz of this efficiency misconception.

higher efficiency means lower elec bill... its a green thing... thats all about it.

not exactly that simple.

high efficiency requires better components.

high efficiency also means less power dissipation.

this in turn also mean longer life and better quality/stability of the component..thus the same for the components that survive on it.

it's not just the green thing :cool2:

For all who are saying Corsair VX 450,its clearly written in the thread i.e 1st post of LBM that Please suggest other than VX450 then why member are giving suggestion for VX450,and i think VX450 don't have soild +5 volt rail..no sure, i will suggest go for a CM extreme power 500 or 600watts

Ya I had a Corsair 450VX which was not able to run 7 HDD. But six were fine...

So I checked for reviews. Here what I found..

The PSU follows a classic circuit design with joint voltage regulation. There are two toroidal chokes next to the output cables, one of which regulates the +3.3V voltage while the other, the +5V and +12V voltages both together. It means that the voltage in the +5V rail depends on the load on the +12V rail and vice versa.

Taken from x-bit labs site....

Also the combine wattage of +3.3 and 5 volts is just 120 watts. So planning to go for a bigger one.

From my understanding. I need 150+ watts on the 5 volts rail. So I was thinking on these lines.

No need for efficiency lessons. I think we all got the point of it.

low_bass_makker said:
Ya I had a Corsair 450VX which was not able to run 7 HDD. But six were fine...

So I checked for reviews. Here what I found..

The PSU follows a classic circuit design with joint voltage regulation. There are two toroidal chokes next to the output cables, one of which regulates the +3.3V voltage while the other, the +5V and +12V voltages both together. It means that the voltage in the +5V rail depends on the load on the +12V rail and vice versa.

Where is the connection? Whether a PSU is jointly or individually regulated, it affects only its cross-loading behaviour.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried running the 10 HDD setup on your CM RP 700W? I still think looking for a controller that supports staggered spin-up might be a bit more fruitful than looking for a big PSU.

asingh said:
10 HDD = 10 HDD x 15W = 150W
Standard CPU = 1 x 100W = 100W
Non-OC Motherboard = 1 x 50W = 50W
RAM = 2 x 5W = 10W
'n' Fans = 100W
Draw Total: 410W
30% overhead : 123W

Overall PSU Requirement: 533W

Now since the OC, has an aversion to Corsair, a TAGAN 550W-500W would be good. You can suggest other good companies with the 500-550W range.

Note:
Have calculated slightly upper side values for the components, to marginalize heavy run load and start up power pull.

Fans = 100W? are you on weed?
even the extreme 3400-4600RPM 59-65dB Delta eats 30W per fan & no normal person can use such loud fans
normal 60-100CFM fans are 5W max

Back