Other Which tablet to buy? Android, iOS, Win 8? EDIT: Bought Nexus 7 32GB

^^

I am just considering the options/info/rumors when i am buying. So not applying for every tablet that will release in future. So no Nexus 10 or Nexus 7. I am in US so getting from here.

It is almost pointless to watch FULL HD videos on the screens of tablets / phones which have 1080p display. If you are doing video out to your TV then that is another thing.

Well you cant do a TV out sitting in a cab while coming back from office.

So my original query stays.Does windows or apple support files larger than 4gb??

Thanks mate. But I will only make the purchase in 3 more weeks. :D :D. So please keep an eye out. I am also alert in ebay deals.

Well you cant do a TV out sitting in a cab while coming back from office.
How do you listen with the background noise, unless you're piping the sound through the car audio system ?

So my original query stays.Does windows or apple support files larger than 4gb??
Dunno about apple but certain android models & windows will read a 64GB default formatted in exFAT.[DOUBLEPOST=1371980506][/DOUBLEPOST]
How about i get the New Galaxy note 8 now. and i wait for the year end for the latest ones?
Get the 10.1

Given you don't play games there is no excuse for a smaller screen.

The windows ones will be even bigger and heavier.[DOUBLEPOST=1371985281][/DOUBLEPOST]
But amount of loss with Samsung and android is phenomenal.
It's like loosing more than 50% in one year. While apple retains at least 60-70% resale value.
What is the basis for that underlined bit ?

Just check the market for s3 prices. @blr_p[DOUBLEPOST=1371987683][/DOUBLEPOST]For that matter any Samsung droid.
Dunno about S3, but i know about note 10.1

~40k (over priced) when it came out in Aug last year, now its ~33k thats a 20% drop.

You mean to tell me its going to be 20k by this aug ? nah. It will be 30k tops and then disappear.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to factor in that the Nexus 10's front-facing speakers might be better for movie-watching than other tablets.

1. You tube videos. :D
2. Watching TV shows and Movies in bed or lying down. :D
3. Browsing, Mails etc
4. Would love some Doc/Spreadsheet viewing Editing capability
5. Comic books. cbr, cbz formats and such
6. PDF's. Large PDF magazines, comics with lots of pic and all. :D

Notes:
1. I plan to use this device with Corsair Voyager Air or Kingston MobileLite. So the space available in tab
is not that big of a deal for me. i think.
2. I am a huge fan of using devices like in a continuation. Like My desktop in personal laptop and HTPC looks the same. and will MOSTLY contain the same things. Thats why i spend so much on external stand alone storage.
I was curious about this Corsair Voyager thingy and decided to look it up. It's a N150 device that means it tops out somewhere around 30Mbs. Now, i hope your TV shows and movies top out out at an avg bitrate of 5Mbs because anything larger is going to be iffy as you need a margin of anywhere from 3-6 times that rate to get most movies to play well. I said well, higher bitrates will play but might stutter in parts as opposed to playing flawlessly which is what one wants.

To give an idea of what is meant by HD, check out this review.

Performance is pretty good for both portable hard drives, as streaming high quality videos works perfectly. I was able to connect three computers to both hard drives (I didn’t have access to any more), and streaming at the same time was not an issue on all three computers. I also tried to get some data transfer rates by reading and writing “Big Buck Bunny” to/from both hard drives. The movie file was 725.1 MB in H.264 quality at 1080p resolution. It took the Voyager Air 2 minutes and 53 seconds (4.2 MB/sec) to write the file and 3 minutes and 22 seconds (3.6 MB/sec) to read it.
A full HD movie that is a short of 10 mins duration and 730MB or > 5- 10Mbs bitrate is cutting it close. The reviewer gets a write to the CVA of 32Mbs but can only read from it at 28Mbs. Thats a margin of just 3 times the avg rate. A longer duration movie might not fit here. That is why i said a headroom of 3-6 times the avg bitrate is better.

This device costs $200 at Amazon. That's right $200. That means anywhere from Rs.12-15k over here.

How much does an Asus N13 wifi router+external USB HDD cost ? much less.
Is the N13 a N150 device ? No, its a N300 so it can transmit close to twice this rate. All you need is a N300 client to make use of it. Nexus 10 and certain windows tabs or a 5Ghz router with note8/10. There is anything else i'm aware of for now. Heard rumours that the NookHD is also N300 but not confirmed.

On top of that this CVA will not even let you access xvids or mkvs. Hope all your files are mp4, that means you need to replace mkv containers with mp4. Not impossbile but a hassle. There is no DLNA but thats in the works apparently so hooking this thing up via ethernet to your HDTV is likely not to do much.

This CVA is NOT worth the money. Wait for the next models which will have sensible wifi like N300.

oh, unless you need mobile playback for ~5 hours. How many need that at home ? CVA is a device for work sharing with a number of people that are out in the field.

Next is the Kingston mobile lite, useful device for tabs that do not have sd card slots plus a battery bank. But this is again yet another N150 device, fine for everything else but big video files. Unnecessary if you have a tab that already has a microsd slot.

The only outstanding point is number 6. How big are your pdf files (file size and papersize) and how complicated are your magazines with lots of pics, i can try it out on my note 10.1 and let you know. A windows tab might have an edge here over an android device because of processing power. But its double the price.
[DOUBLEPOST=1372026108][/DOUBLEPOST]
You might want to factor in that the Nexus 10's front-facing speakers might be better for movie-watching than other tablets.

Any tab with front facing speakers is preferable.

^^

Well. I didnt plan to stream files bigger than 2~3 GB into this. I tested out one in a best buy and it was ok. No stuttering or something. Thats why thght will get one.
Yup I know its 200$...

But the part concerns me is the mp4 part. That is a deal breaker for me. Thanks for the heads up. Let me also look into that.

Well. I didnt plan to stream files bigger than 2~3 GB into this.
The file size isn't as important as the bitrate which is variable. To find out what the peak rates are for your media files, use Bitrate Viewer. This will take the guesswork out.

To give you an example, i found a file with an avg bitrate of 4Mbs but peaked a few times to 32Mbs for a few seconds. That is a 8 times avg bitrate peak which is rare but my 20Mbs connection stuttered for a few seconds during playback. Other files that momentarily reached 25Mbs were ok. These were only 1.2GB HD files.

I tested out one in a best buy and it was ok. No stuttering or something. Thats why thght will get one.
What client did you use when you were in best buy ? laptop or other

The review i posted did not mention what client was used but to get a ~30Mbs transfer rate from the CVA i suspect it was a laptop. My note tops out at 20Mbs. Low powered clients like tabs will be the same.

Yup I know its 200$...
Why you want to pay so much when better alternatives exist for the same or cheaper.

But the part concerns me is the mp4 part. That is a deal breaker for me. Thanks for the heads up. Let me also look into that.
It was a cnet review.

Those are N150 clients.

Now what about the media file ? what peak bitrate did it have. Do you have any way to find out.

I checked it out like a month back :). So no clue.[DOUBLEPOST=1372106801][/DOUBLEPOST]Any thoughts on Acer Iconia W3? The new 8.1 inch. For 350$ ?

Get a Windows 8 tab. More are launching with the announcement of Windows 8.1. You can even use an emulator and run android aps if im not mistaken. Total win I say.

And it's flop as well.
It did not sell even give million unit.

You seem to have put a blindfold when it comes to Apple , whatever they say you tend to believe and don't believe on others.

I mentioned this sometime back Apple is good product in its boundaries as soon its crosses them it falls face down.

And it's flop as well.
It did not sell even give million unit.

Well, if you compare Nexus 10 with Nexus 7. Who cares if 7 inchers outsell 10 inchers. 7 inchers are for gamers who need this portability thing which nobody else needs.

But hardware wise, if you do not need 3G or Micro sd then Nexus 10 is pretty good specs wise. Won't have problems with getting latest OS.

Back