Other Which tablet to buy? Android, iOS, Win 8? EDIT: Bought Nexus 7 32GB

Well, if you compare Nexus 10 with Nexus 7. Who cares if 7 inchers outsell 10 inchers. 7 inchers are for gamers who need this portability thing which nobody else needs.

But hardware wise, if you do not need 3G or Micro sd then Nexus 10 is pretty good specs wise. Won't have problems with getting latest OS.
Am not a gamer but after trying iPad's and other 10inchers I found portability for eBook reading is also as essential as for gaming

Most probably you use your tablet on the couch or bed

Am not a gamer but after trying iPad's and other 10inchers I found portability for eBook reading is also as essential as for gaming
What portability ? I've lugged laptops around the world that are heavier.

You read standing up ? How long for ?

As far as readability goes try reading letter size or A4 on a 7 incher and compare with a 10.1 in landscape or 9.7 in portrait.

The only reason i can see to get a 7 incher is gaming because you need to hold the thing yourself for an extended period.

If gaming isn't required then a 7 incher isn't required. People go for 7 inchers due to cost and they JUST HAVE to get a tab. Bogus reason for a bogus size tab when they could save up and get better.

Most probably you use your tablet on the couch or bed
On a sofa with the screen 22 inches away and its easy to read propped up on a cushion.

Or on a table in its own case but that's more when working with other PC's.

Bed ? bed is for listening not reading.

You seem to be adamant on your views
I will never argue as it's a waste of time and energy
It's just my usage scenario

I am an anaesthesia doctor and most of the time inside operation theatre
10 inches and the weight of IPad is just not worth a trade off for my usage pattern

If 10 inches is what suits you and you carry it with you always, so be it
It doesn't suit my life style
Don't force your views on anyone, as I said I have tried both and settled for an Nexus7

Thank you sir for listening

Its called critical thinking. Forceful with views because in a fuzzy subject such as this clarity is welcome. Not enough people do this or are even capable of it. Its being provocative with the intent of spurring a useful discussion. Maybe somebody knows more.

I'm not forcing my views on anyone just making it clear that if reading is what you want to do then a 10 incher is what you want. I've found this point not made often enough. How many people even realise the paper size of what they're reading. Makes a big difference. What exactly are you reading btw ? journals or just looking at sketches. How long do you read for. Two column texts can be read on a 7 incher, what if there are no columns. Then it gets shrunk down and display size matters. I would love for 10 inchers tobe as light as 7 inchers or even less but we're not at that point yet.

You're an anaesthetist ? great. So you need to dance around with a tab in your hand and portablity in this case helps. Now tell me how many of us here are like that. Your use scenario is an outlier. If you have to run around then you ain't reading for a long enough time to begin with.

Whereas most will be sitting in a couch as i mentioned if they're going to be doing reading for an hr or longer.. That's the majority of people. I can generalise this much better than your use case.

Dunno, text reflow works just fine for me in adobe reader

I read all kinds of files
Chm books
Pdf books
Pdf journals
Least is novels or epub files
Books because many books are prohibitively costly :(

And even if you are reading epub text files then also it doesn't matter
Even if you are reading in sitting position yes weight of IPad becomes really irritating
I feel IPad mini is the perfect size for reading but the screen resolution was pathetic so sold it in15days

IPad 3 and 4 clarity can't be rivaled though not seen the Nexus10

Again for reading for long duration is better on a size of IPad mini

Am waiting for iPad mini with a Retina resolution

The view you are giving is best for magazines where it's better to see the full page at a time

In our books I just double tap the paragraph and it's in full screen

Reflow works best with epub, but not a lot of what i read is in that format, its mostly pdf. If its text i've found pdf is hit or miss, sometimes it works othertimes not. Safest is without reflow and if there are graphs tables etc better still.

The big screen means you sit back with your head resting and read from close to two feet away. No problems with the text, no squinting just like reading paper. landscape 10.1 is the same width as A4. As close to the real thing with new tech. You're not holding anything up, its resting on your lap or most comfortable i've found is a placing a cushion in between.

And what you're saying is you cannot read a magazine on a 7 incher, again if its in columns i think you can. Columns or their lack thereof is what makes the difference.

I never had any of these issues on a 11.5 inch laptop, everything worked and i never even thought about it. Then these mobile gadgets start coming out and they start to reduce the form factor. And its quite a shock. 11.5 to 10.1 is a smaller jump than down to 7 inches. I don't know what i cannot do yet but i would like to limit it as much as possible. Most people will be used to 11.5 or even much bigger screens. Windows tabs in a way have an edge here because they start at 11.5 so the switch is minimal, more powerful too but they are heavier still.

So to reccomend a 7 incher means one has to be aware of the limitations which unless you've used it before is a difficult to do. As you can see so much of the advice on this tends to be very subjective, depends on what you have to do. So much so its useless for others. So there is where clarity helps.

exactly columns make a lot of difference in pdfs
all my journals and pdfs have columns

and best thing is to get a tablet from your friend and use it for few days and see for yourself which suits the buyer best or else try out at mega stores but megastores will never give u the real world scenario

i had learnt the hard way by buying almost all popular tabs and selling for a loss to find out my favourite!!

Very honest of you to admit that, i was hoping to avoid these mistakes and for now i think i have. People ask what tab to get for reading and a 10.1 or 9.7 to me seems the safest bet.

But if you had access to friends tabs then why did you have to learn the hard way ?

Now, all the rendering is down to the GPU, your quad core i don't think gets used much here.

I've yet to figure out an objective way to say you need a tab of x power to read a PDF that weighs y MB. A way ot measure the 'complexity' of a PDF. Say you want to read scanned books, there are a lot of classical works on archive.org. Full scans of the library book. I found my 10.1 tends to struggle a bit rendering the images there. Some post processing required, maybe to simplify the images then repackage them back.

A benchmark to render PDF's would be very useful but all i see are benchmarks for games. Oh this tab can do 60fps over that one that can only do 30fps.

i didn't have access to tablets hence learnt the hard way
i sold IPad mini due to screen resolution issues and not size
1024*760 vs 1280*800 made quitealot of difference in between galaxy tab2and Nexus7

in
between i had also boughta ativ smartpc tablet, hardest way really, lol

does ios support files larger than 4gb?? any idea??[DOUBLEPOST=1373282943][/DOUBLEPOST]how smooth is the operation of nexus 10 in comparison with ipad4??? anybody has bought a nexus 10??

i m using Ainol Hero 10" and quite happy with it . but if ur budget is more i will suggest you to go for ipad 4 or note 10.1
10" tables are good to watch movie but they are difficult to carry . u will be definitely satisfy with note 10.1 .

P.S ipad 4 or note 10.1

can some one suggest which Ainol or Onda tablet to buy? lot of models in these brands..
usage is only movies and games..
budget 12 to 15 k. Need to buy in a week, need to be available. Thanks.

So guys.. I have to make some decisions.. and i am cutting my budget down. No expensive tablets. Is it still a ipad 3G or 4g in a deal or used?

How about Nexus 7? Staples is giving the 32GB for 200$. iPad Mini.. Screen Res is too low. :(

Nexus 7 32GB from Staples is $170. They have a coupon for $30 off, which will show up itself when you are checking out.
It is the best bang for buck tablet out there. I personally would buy the Nexus 10 though. Was a pleasure to use for both, watching videos and reading eBooks. I personally convert all books to ePub using Calibre before putting them on the tablet. I found the iPad 4 to be very heavy for 1 handed reading and I read lying on the bed while holding the tablet completely in the air so YMMV.

Just got the 32GB Nexus 7 180$. Too many new tabs coming out. Don't want to spend too much now. Picked this up for now. If the new nexus 7 comes in 15 days, I can return this also. :D :D :D

Just got the 32GB Nexus 7 180$. Too many new tabs coming out. Don't want to spend too much now. Picked this up for now. If the new nexus 7 comes in 15 days, I can return this also. :D :D :D

That's the best part about living in America - the return policy.
Congrats for the N7. I am guessing $10 extra is tax.

can some one suggest which Ainol or Onda tablet to buy? lot of models in these brands..
usage is only movies and games..
budget 12 to 15 k. Need to buy in a week, need to be available. Thanks.

Ainol novo 8 dream will be good
But problem is all tablets have low resolution 1024*768 even the10inches ones
For15k you can go for a slightly used Nexus7
It will be much better experience[DOUBLEPOST=1373852189][/DOUBLEPOST]And if you are buying Chinese tablet make sure you visit slatedroid.com and see how many problems exist for the tablet you decide and custom rom scenario

Back