Which VPN for India?

Hi

I am planning to shift completely to a VPN for all my devices. Unfortunately, my router doesn't support dd-wrt so I cannot do it at the router level.

Devices: Several Laptops, Desktop, Firestick, Mobiles etc. About 10-13

I am on an Airtel 300 mbps unlimited plan.

I had just purchased the monthly Windscribe plan to try it out but the 3 Indian Servers they have are giving very poor speeds(5-10 mbps). I am getting half decent speeds from their London and Paris servers (about 50 mbps).

I so wanted it to work out with them but it doesn't seem to be the answer.

Any suggestions for VPN service which will have good Indian servers which can provide me good speeds?

Hello!

What is the purpose for moving entirely to a VPN? That, I think should be a good starting point.

If you are looking for privacy and all, the choices are different. If you are looking for speeds, the choices are different. There are definitely VPN providers that strike a balance, but they are few. And any VPN, no matter how good will have a hit on speed for obvious reasons.

If you are looking for simply blocking ads and all, there is another thread in the forum which talks about a Pi-hole, which I think will provide you with a lot of answers.

With particular focus on Windscribe, I would not even recommend it for your purposes (shifting entirely onto a VPN). I would suggest it only for those who want to occasionally unblock some websites.

A general rule of the thumb is, do not trust anyone who is giving away lifetime subscriptions. Maintaining VPN servers and all cost a lot of money, and offering severs at speed costs even more money. And these VPN service providers usually do sell our data. It is just that it shifts from one point to another (like an electric car, but that is another story).

If you are looking for some trusted providers, I would say Mullvad is good - from experience (however, I did not really measure speeds - I did stream stuff while I was using Mullvad without any hiccups), and I have also heard good things about Express VPN.

I think it is time we have a separate section for VPN and Privacy now that things are coming to a head. It will be easier for people to share and exchange views.

@kuduku @salman8506 @prabs @bfz @JMak could also add their opinions.

Ive used limevpn which had 2 good indian servers as well. They are Singapore or Hong Kong based .

they are cheap and you can try them for 1 month before comitting

Thank you for your detailed inputs. After some research, I now connect to Singapore windscribe servers instead of India.

Over the last 2 days it has been really great. Consistently getting speeds of 50-100 mbps from these servers and they are running at 15-20% load so future looks decent

I would have loved to connect to India servers as I want my Netflix and other streaming service set to India only. However when I connect to sg servers these guys end up thinking I'm in sg

I have used SurfShark for close to a year and I get 119 Mbps on a 120 Mbps connection over WireGuard on the Mumbai server. Even otherwise I get over 110 Mbps on the European and Singaporean servers, so it is more than worth it. However, the server operators may change over the time period of the subscription, so results may change with time.

Also, not that I am soliciting it, but I am open to any referral benefits.

Thank you for your detailed inputs. After some research, I now connect to Singapore windscribe servers instead of India.

Over the last 2 days it has been really great. Consistently getting speeds of 50-100 mbps from these servers and they are running at 15-20% load so future looks decent

I would have loved to connect to India servers as I want my Netflix and other streaming service set to India only. However when I connect to sg servers these guys end up thinking I'm in sg
i used windscribe a singapore server will not allow you to do indian streaming. if you are fine thats great

I have used SurfShark for close to a year and I get 119 Mbps on a 120 Mbps connection over WireGuard on the Mumbai server. Even otherwise I get over 110 Mbps on the European and Singaporean servers, so it is more than worth it. However, the server operators may change over the time period of the subscription, so results may change with time.

Also, not that I am soliciting it, but I am open to any referral benefits.
agree, i use surfshark and am on their 2 yr plan. would recommend surfshark over windscribe.

I have VPNUnlimited, deal for which I have listed in Hot Deals section. I bought it only on a whim because back in 2017, similar deal but at $17 and I didn't think much. I bought because I was in US and was using couple of live tv apps that needed me to be in India so would use VPN and spoof my location. Also for torrent download in US else I would get letter from ISP (got once already).

I still use it even in India as there are apps now which will NOT work if it detects I am in India so I pretend to be in Singapore or Malaysia or whatever gives me faster speeds.
Speeds vary all the time so I cannot say for sure you will always get consistent speeds. 5 devices limits. They have explained a way to configure in router but I have to try it.

I don't think any vpn you buy will give you ability to login to numerous devices (correct me if I am wrong) and as you told you have multiple device, how about buying a router which supports setting up VPN so it will be only one setup.

I have VPNUnlimited, deal for which I have listed in Hot Deals section. I bought it only on a whim because back in 2017, similar deal but at $17 came and I didn't think much. I bought because I was in US and was using couple of live tv apps that needed me to be in India so would use VPN and spoof my location. Also for torrent download in US else I would get letter from ISP (got once already).

I still use it. Speeds vary all the time so I cannot say for sure you will always get consistent speeds. 5 devices limits. They have explained a way to configure in router but I have to try it.

I don't think any vpn you buy will give you ability to login to numerous devices (correct me if I am wrong) and as you told you have multiple device, how about buying a router which supports setting up VPN so it will be only one setup.
SurfShark has unlimited device support which they specifically list as a feature. I have all my devices logged in to SurfShark and have not had any issues. I used to run it on router for other services which had device limits but the issue there is that it results in Captcha on every device which is irritating. Also most routers wouldn't support WireGuard and speeds with OpenVPN are really low. IPSec is good for browser plugins but really not secure.

The other benefit of running on a client is the ability to whitelist and blacklist specific apps on the device.

I once tried Raspberry Pi 4 for network wide VPN, I installed Openwrt on with along with wireguard, used the default Pi 4 port as WAN and added USB to Ethernet adapter to be used as LAN which was connected to my router
I was able to achieve around 600-650 Mbps on a self hosted hetzner server and on Cloudflare's WARP+
Don't know if it's a good idea but if we have enough people, we can have our own servers in 4-5 major locations, should be pretty cheap and fast as well, less than $1/user/month.

Back