Monitors White dots on Viewsonic VA2226w Monitor

Alz

Recruit
I have a 9-year old monitor, a Viewsonic VA2226w (22-inch, 1600x1050). It has given me almost trouble free service all these years, but now it has developed an area of white dots on the top right of the screen. It is most discernible when the onscreen image is black, on other colors it gets somewhat hidden. On white you can hardly make it out - but still, it is quite distracting when viewing video or a picture.

IMG_20161202_091709.jpg

hIXJ0VKb.jpg

It has been there for more than a month, and does not go away, like I have read happens when moisture enters the screen, and goes away after some time on its own.

Can anyone tell me what this is (moisture or something else) why it happened and how I can make it go away? Since this is a very old monitor I would not like to go in for expensive company repairs unless absolutely necessary.

Thank you.

Looks like the hard coating is warping. It wont go away. It will keep increasing.
Does it smell like weird plastic or some type of chemical?

Something like this happened to my Viewsonic monitor too but on a larger scale. I sold monitor to raddiwala for few rupees after dismantling everything. I only have the monitor pcb now.

Looks like the hard coating is warping. It wont go away. It will keep increasing.
Does it smell like weird plastic or some type of chemical?

Something like this happened to my Viewsonic monitor too but on a larger scale. I sold monitor to raddiwala for few rupees after dismantling everything. I only have the monitor pcb now.
I don't smell anything yet. Also the area does not seem to be increasing (so far).

If I may ask as a non-techie, what use is the old pcb?

I kept it to sell on eBay. Sometimes people look for working parts for old electronics stuff that's out of production. Last time I saw the PCB was selling for around 2k. That was a long time back though. I should have sold it back then.

Back